Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,600 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Anyone else's cat feel the need to attack the Christmas tree whenever you set it up? Any tips to make them stop?

Shy Poster

13,115 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Cart Raider 100
My cat is bad about the Christmas tree too. Sometimes he will just go and sit under it which looks very cute, but a lot of times when he's under there he will start chewing on the branches and stuff. x_x It's a fake tree, don't know if that makes any difference or not as to why he wants to chew it. I can't figure out how to get him to stop either, the most I can do is try to keep him out of that room, which is a pain the butt since the doors to that room aren't regular doors and he can just push them open. I end up putting chairs in front of the doors and that keeps him out but it's such a pain to try to go in there and push chairs out of the way and then trying to put them back. @_@

Feral Star

I remember one of my kitties would climb the xmas tree.

There isn't really anything you can do as far as I know. Just keep him in another room maybe >.<

6,600 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
The thing is that he seems to attack the tree just for attention though lol. If there are other people in the room with him he'll go crazy but when he's home alone it seems like he didn't touch it at all >.0

Tipsy Pirate

If you have tinsel on your tree, lte the cat eat some and then latter, after you pull it out of their butt, they never go near there again... that's what happened to Pickles, an old cat that we had.... mind you, pulling tinsel out of a freaked out cat's butt isn't fun, but some cats learn rofl

You could also make sure next time they go near the tree for a week just drop something heavy on the floor and make a loud sound. After you do it for a while they might stop.

Does your cat have a smell that they hate? Mine does, and when we spray an area in that scent he wount go near it (he hates the smell of oranges the strange cat...) until hte smell's all gone.

Tipsy Pirate

Dead Molly Says
The thing is that he seems to attack the tree just for attention though lol. If there are other people in the room with him he'll go crazy but when he's home alone it seems like he didn't touch it at all >.0

Squirt him with water everytime he does it... thar's what we do when the cats are too crazy.

6,600 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
robot kitten
Dead Molly Says

Squirt him with water everytime he does it... thar's what we do when the cats are too crazy.

I'm definitely gonna have to try out your tinsel idea lol. But my cat's an oddball he used to hate being squirt by water but now he loves it 0_o

Tipsy Pirate

Dead Molly Says
robot kitten
Dead Molly Says

I'm definitely gonna have to try out your tinsel idea lol. But my cat's an oddball he used to hate being squirt by water but now he loves it 0_o

Be careful after they eat tinsel, they can't actually s**t it all the way out, so they'll run around freaked out cause something smelly is chasing them. Make sure your parents have protection when they grab the cat to pull it out. biggrin
my fat cat sleeps under the tree

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
We've had that problem with a few cats over the years and what we did was to go to the local hardware store and by a roll of window screening about 30 to 36 inches in width and long enough so we could basically erect a fence around the tree.
While it was less than esthetically perfect, you could still see through it and it provided a sufficient deterrent to our cats.
Funny thing tho, ours only ever went after the tree when we were not around or were in bed (sneaky little buggers), and we attached a couple of little Christmas bells to the screen as an alarm.
We'd usually be in bed with all the lights off for more than five minutes before we'd hear the first tinkling coming from the tree. rofl

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
robot kitten
If you have tinsel on your tree, lte the cat eat some and then latter, after you pull it out of their butt, they never go near there again... that's what happened to Pickles, an old cat that we had.... mind you, pulling tinsel out of a freaked out cat's butt isn't fun, but some cats learn rofl

Personally, I would always advise against having tinsel on your tree if you have a cat in the house because, as you point out, they will eat it, and anything they eat that can't be digested has the potential to lodge in their intestines and form a blockage that can result in serious complications up to and including death.

7,150 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Popular Thread 100
  • First step to fame 200
Two words: How. Suace....

I doubt they will want to attack it after that. razz

Friendly Explorer

User Image
PKMN Trainer Scarlet Wants To Battle!
♦♠♣__________________________________________♦♠♣

We have to put our ordainments up to where they can't get them because they always feel the need to knock down the glass ones. >.<

IRL Gekko

They hate the feeling of aluminum foil, and they cannot stand vinegar. So either spray the tree down with vinegar, or wrap foil around it. Also, tie the tree down so it won't fall. Thankfully my cats are old and refuse to mess with the tree anymore.
my cat likes to scratched the base of the tree >w<

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces