Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shy Fairy

This has always been a topic that has confused me.

People always claim that those who commit suicide or want to commit suicide are selfish, because it effects the people around them who love them. They want that person in their lives and it would be depressing for them if they were to lose that person.

But isn't it really the same way for the person on the receiving end? This person clearly wants to end their life. They are suffering, and they want to end that suffering by not living anymore. But those who want them alive ridicule them for being suicidal, and force them to stay alive, thus making them suffer even further because they want to be dead. In a way, it's also selfish to force them into something they don't want, torturing them for YOUR own well-being and satisfaction.

Discuss.

Note: Don't bring anything up about "getting help instead", that's not what the topic is about.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Anyone who says suicide is the "selfish, cowards way out" never chambered a round and held the muzzle in their mouth before. It takes balls to squeeze that trigger......
chainmailleman
Anyone who says suicide is the "selfish, cowards way out" never chambered a round and held the muzzle in their mouth before. It takes balls to squeeze that trigger......

Anyone who says otherwise has never had suicidal thoughts or people close to them do it.

Omnipresent Glitch

11,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
It's a matter of opinion. If you don't see it as selfish, then it's not, but it definitely determines the personality of the one to call it "cowardice".

I did have a gun against my head at one point. My mother walked in, and we had a strangely calm and awkward conversation about it. Pulling the trigger without cocking the gun with one bullet in it gave me this strange high. It's definitely an experience.

Sex Symbol

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Conversationalist 100
It’s an interesting thing but I would never call someone with suicidal thoughts a coward. There are many reasons why a person would do that, and in most part it is caused by psychological problems or diseases like Clinical Depression. They’re not selfish because they don’t even have that possibility on their minds. Being selfish means that you think of yourself above of the rest, as if you are the only one that matters, and the others are just mere humans who have no influence on you. When someone is willing to commit suicide, that person is usually sitting in a position of inferiority, feeling lonely and pressured, not being able to communicate with others.

But, apart of all the psychological thing, I like to point out social reasons for that. Most suicides, if not all, are caused by social consequences.

Fanatical Zealot

Of course.

I mean look at me, I am a suicide soldier, destined to at least use my life for something important! xp

You could use what little time to have to help eliminate heathens like me!

I mean, you're going to die anyways right?

Noob

I've had suicidal thoughts and telling myself that it was selfish probably saved my life. It gave me the motion that people do care and I would be missed and they'd be there when I need them.

I bet a fair few people people have had those thoughts before and they didn't give up; so I didn't either. I didn't want to just quit when it got hard no matter how much I desperately wanted.

I have acted on those thoughts once and I now wouldn't call them selfish; but a mistake. But that doesn't mean it was a bad mistake.

Greedy Consumer

Other people have had it worse, so while I do think its selfish of their family to want them. I also disagree with suicide.

Hilarious Prophet

Suicide is fine as long as I don't know you. I really don't like knowing that someone is dead because it ruins a good day.

Tipsy Explorer

3,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Forum Dabbler 200
What do they want them to do? Go on living a life that they hate and are miserable in to the point that they want to kill themselves, just so the people calling them "selfish" don't have to pretend to be sad for five minutes at a funeral? What a joke!

If someone wants to die, that's their choice. Hell, if someone wanted to be killed by someone else, go for it! really the only problem with murder I have is non-consensual murder. Which is oddly enough, more common than suicide.
neutral

Hilarious Prophet

Xathari
What do they want them to do? Go on living a life that they hate and are miserable in to the point that they want to kill themselves, just so the people calling them "selfish" don't have to pretend to be sad for five minutes at a funeral? What a joke!

If someone wants to die, that's their choice. Hell, if someone wanted to be killed by someone else, go for it! really the only problem with murder I have is non-consensual murder. Which is oddly enough, more common than suicide.
neutral
I've noticed that when a people who doesn't comply to the whims of is called selfish, it is really the person expecting another to comply to their whims who is being selfish.

Hilarious Seeker

6,100 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
No,
The people instigating (or life experiences) are the selfish ones.

My aunt commited suicide, prolonged for years she was working towards this and yes the family is affected and friends of the person, but its not them who were the selfish ones.

Not one bit making the decisions you want for your life is selfish, if we stayed worrying about if it were we wouldnt be true to ourselves.

And I can safely say wanting to do this act can be, at times, right to oneself and something out of their personal control but shown in the action because of the decision they felt was right for them,
but making decisions in the heat of the moment isnt always the right way because so many things are going on at that point to think rationally.

My condolences to all who have lost a precious life to them from suicide.
Its unsettling, but know that they seriously are most likely in a (place) not suffering the way they were here, well atleast I know the ones who have lost a love sees it as that way thru their deeper relationship
or understand
ing of them .

Hilarious Seeker

6,100 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
****But seriously, I promise, there is ALWAYS hope,
ALWAYS

Hilarious Prophet

UtterBits
Is it selfish to avoid the elderly because you don't want to feel bad when they die?

Hilarious Seeker

6,100 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Jacque De Molay
UtterBits
Is it selfish to avoid the elderly because you don't want to feel bad when they die?

You cant help what you feel after death of a person, or during a time when they are at their worst.
When it comes to this touchy subject(although its not as touchy to me these days it seems since death in inevitable) you cant carry this guilt about what you may feel but think you're suppose to feel, you know?

Old peoples destiny is to die, and ofcoarse (hopefully) make the most of their remaining days,
cause when it comes down to it were all at this point of trying to do things, be involved and feeling whole in this life, before, or coarse you know die.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff