Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
Jacque De Molay
frozen_water
Whether or not it is selfish to commit suicide is dependent upon the situation, like most actions.

There isn't some blanket statement you can make in either direction.
You can claim selfishness regardless of scenario or cause of suicide.
I disagree.

While I suppose you can claim anything, that doesn't make it so.
dolly milk
Initiate_Sacred_Demise
Yes! It hurts everyone around that person who loves them. On top of that, everyone else has to make the best of this hellhole. Most people go through depression. Letting go means that person is weak. They need to get over themselves and do something for someone else for once.

It seems as though you've failed to properly read the topic post.

So according to your own words, everybody should just be forced to suffer for the sake of somebody else? What do you think people do when they don't commit suicide? Usually they'll cut or perform other methods of self harm. You make it sound as if they're blatantly ignoring the fact that they can get help. If they wanted help, they would get it. So that must mean that they are obviously wanting to end their lives, so why force them to suffer and torture them even more just for your own happiness? That is the selfish part about this, people like you who think you're obligated to every single ******** luxury in the world, ******** everybody else's feelings, it's all about you and you only. If you seriously think people commit suicide just to purposefully upset your loved ones, then you are extremely sheltered and you have a very ignorant view on what suicide really is.

They are not ******** weak. It takes balls to pull that trigger, or tie that noose. There's a reason why there are so many attempted and failed suicides in the world.

And did you seriously just tell somebody who is suicidal to get over themselves? You are disgusting. Get the ******** out of my thread.

You asked for opinions and I gave you one, so please don't judge me for it. You don't know what I've seen or been through, but this is my opinion of it it now. I was not trying to upset you, but I feel that everyone has issues and they need to learn how to deal with them instead of getting overwhelmed and doing something irreversible and irresponsible. It would be selfish for the loved ones to not see how upset someone they care about is, but they have nothing to do with that persons depression, nor do they usually know about it. Most people I know that are seriously depressed or have committed suicide, did not advertise or commit obvious acts of self harm, such as cutting. It is a really sad situation, but I still think it is a selfish act.
The Herald of War
Kozumuda
The Herald of War
Kozumuda
All suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Therefore making it selfish.

That is not how selfishness is defined, that is you repeating phrases without comprehension.
I figure that it would be inferred that just letting all the others deal with the problem at hand and not standing up to it like everyone else would be selfish.

The problem at hand might very well be dealt with by suicide if the problem is a personal one. If the problem is one's own feelings then there's nothing left for others to deal with.

Wait, what?

No, the only way for there NOT to be problems left over for others to deal with is if, perhaps, the individual were to kill themselves without leaving a body, having given their loved ones a plausible reason for their disappearance and put their affairs in order.

How else would you eliminate
~ survivor guilt
~ "I should join him!"
~ funeral costs
~ burial or cremation costs
~ distribution of any assets
and so on?
dolly milk
Initiate_Sacred_Demise
Yes! It hurts everyone around that person who loves them. On top of that, everyone else has to make the best of this hellhole. Most people go through depression. Letting go means that person is weak. They need to get over themselves and do something for someone else for once.

It seems as though you've failed to properly read the topic post.

So according to your own words, everybody should just be forced to suffer for the sake of somebody else? What do you think people do when they don't commit suicide? Usually they'll cut or perform other methods of self harm. You make it sound as if they're blatantly ignoring the fact that they can get help. If they wanted help, they would get it. So that must mean that they are obviously wanting to end their lives, so why force them to suffer and torture them even more just for your own happiness? That is the selfish part about this, people like you who think you're obligated to every single ******** luxury in the world, ******** everybody else's feelings, it's all about you and you only. If you seriously think people commit suicide just to purposefully upset your loved ones, then you are extremely sheltered and you have a very ignorant view on what suicide really is.

They are not ******** weak. It takes balls to pull that trigger, or tie that noose. There's a reason why there are so many attempted and failed suicides in the world.

People will get help if they want to? Right. Do you have any idea how getting help actually works? Do you know how expensive it can be? And that's only ONE of the potential hurdles to getting the help you need.

Also, using the prevalence of suicide and suicide attempts to argue that it is the strong choice is fallacious. The people I know who choose not to kill themselves despite wanting to are the ones who feel strong--strong enough to keep fighting, despite not knowing if or when it will get better for them.

Honestly, I believe using words like "strong" or "weak" to discuss suicide is intellectually dishonest. It takes a different kind of mindset to inflict physical pain upon yourself than to live knowing that emotional and mental pain are still here for you.

Darkesu's Darling

It's selfish because it affects the rest of the world obviously.
Sir Fharlanghn

By that logic, so does being alive.

Shy Fairy

Sir Fharlanghn

No it doesn't. It affects the life of the person committing suicide, and the lives of their loved ones. There are 7 billion people in the world, the loss of one does not make a difference. The rest of the world couldn't care less whether you're dead or not.

Shy Fairy

I just don't understand how anyone can say that it's selfish, if it isn't done with the intent of hurting others.

That's like saying it's selfish to buy yourself lunch, instead of just giving it to a starving homeless person.

dolly milk
I just don't understand how anyone can say that it's selfish, if it isn't done with the intent of hurting others.

That's like saying it's selfish to buy yourself lunch, instead of just giving it to a starving homeless person.

Intending to hurt others is not the definition of selfishness.

Selfishness is just trying to do things for your own benefit. I can eat the last slice of pizza because it's tasty, and that's selfish. Am I a bad person for eating the last slice of pizza? Not necessarily. Maybe if I am supposed to be sharing the pizza with somebody else and I've had more than my fair share, then eating the last slice would be a bad thing.

Colloquially, however, many people do associate selfishness with taking things and preventing someone else from having them. When people say "That's so selfish," they mean "You're doing something for yourself and ignoring what someone else needs."

In both ways, suicide can be counted as selfish. Suicide is most often, in developed nations, a reaction to difficulties faced in life. For those experiencing emotional pain, it's a step taken in an effort to end your own misery. And while doing something to ease or end your pain is not inherently bad, it's hard not to know that your choice will negatively impact somebody else.

Now, when people use the word selfish to say that somebody is intending to hurt somebody else (which is even farther along the spectrum than the normal colloquial usage), then that is unlikely to factor into the majority of suicide attempts. Relatively few people who want to end their life are thinking "I want my mom to cry for MONTHS! And my sister, I hope she becomes suicidal too! Hahaha! If I plan this right, my dad will find my corpse and he'll be too traumatized to even look at that room in our house again! This is great!"

In fact, I'd wager the majority of suicides in developed nations are committed by people in emotional distress, which means they aren't necessarily "in their right mind" and so perhaps you cannot truly ascribe malicious selfishness to what they do, since they aren't thinking straight.

Shy Fairy

Nonesuch Solo

Selfishness is just trying to do things for your own benefit. I can eat the last slice of pizza because it's tasty, and that's selfish. Am I a bad person for eating the last slice of pizza? Not necessarily. Maybe if I am supposed to be sharing the pizza with somebody else and I've had more than my fair share, then eating the last slice would be a bad thing.

Colloquially, however, many people do associate selfishness with taking things and preventing someone else from having them. When people say "That's so selfish," they mean "You're doing something for yourself and ignoring what someone else needs."

Implying that we're all put on Earth to please other people. As if our sole purpose of existence is to make other people happy. As if we're "supposed to be" "sharing" our lives with other people, according to your example. That the meaning of our lives is practically to prostitute ourselves for the sake of others.

So I'll repeat myself again, is it also selfish to buy yourself lunch instead of giving it to a starving homeless person?

Darkesu's Darling

FoxHaru
Sir Fharlanghn

By that logic, so does being alive.
I know, that's what people think though.

Darkesu's Darling

dolly milk
Sir Fharlanghn

No it doesn't. It affects the life of the person committing suicide, and the lives of their loved ones. There are 7 billion people in the world, the loss of one does not make a difference. The rest of the world couldn't care less whether you're dead or not.

That's the joke. xD I'm sorry I didn't clarify that I was kidding with that post.
dolly milk
Nonesuch Solo

Implying that we're all put on Earth to please other people. As if our sole purpose of existence is to make other people happy. As if we're "supposed to be" "sharing" our lives with other people, according to your example. That the meaning of our lives is practically to prostitute ourselves for the sake of others.

So I'll repeat myself again, is it also selfish to buy yourself lunch instead of giving it to a starving homeless person?

I'm not implying that we're put on this planet simply to please other people. I'm simply discussing what is meant by selfish. And yes, it is selfish to buy yourself lunch, regardless of whether or not you could have given it to a homeless person. Selfishness has less to do with how your choices affect others and more to do with the fact that you're doing something for your benefit. It's only when we assign judgment to the word "selfish" that we start asking how what we do affects others.

There are those who argue that there is no such thing as altruism, but I'm not sure if you would follow that argument as you're not following what I've already said.

Shy Fairy

Nonesuch Solo
And yes, it is selfish to buy yourself lunch

rofl rofl rofl
Why don't we all just ******** starve to death then.. LOL.

Hey everyone, according to this guy, eating is selfish! Let's just all stop eating now, okay guys?!

Familiar Friend

no i don't think it's selfish. calling suicidal people selfish is just adding gas to the fire in most cases. maybe some suicidal people are selfish but i think that is a very tiny percent. people who kill themselves have something wrong in their brains or personal life or both. they need help, not judgment.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff