Welcome to Gaia! ::

I wouldn't mind at all. There are a few women who wear them that shop at my work from time to time. They definitely stand out since it's just not a look you see in our area a lot. Most people seem to give them a double take then go about their business, but sadly there are a few onlookers I've heard make stupid comments amongst themselves. If you can handle the mindless chatter trailing behind you and still keep your head held high then go for it and wear what you want. The more people see it the more they'll get used to it.

Dapper Genius

i wore a headscarf to a funeral because my hair is obnoxious and not appropriate for such a thing
but damn did i get some long stares from the church-goers.

i actually really enjoyed wearing the scarf, it was comfortable. personally i think they're gorgeous and some people get so fancy by braiding chains in or tying them into big bows and nonsense like live it up girl

Power Pumpkin

I most certainly would not. I would smile at you and say hello. and hope that you didn't discriminate against me for wearing short shorts.
TL;DR

No not at all. biggrin emotion_c8

Charitable Treater

10,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
I've always wanted to wear one. My religion requires modest dress and I've really taken that into consideration for my whole dressing habits. I have the same problem you do though. I'd love to wear a hijab but I'm just too afraid/sensitive to see how people will treat me for wearing one.

I'm obviously black, but when people see hijabs they're definitely prejudiced.
I would not care at all. In fact, I will say that it may look pretty on you.

Lonely Lover

11,075 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Elocutionist 200
I come from a muslim background and me, personally, I find the hijab a little oppressive (no offense to yourself)... but of course, having said this, I have friends/family who are muslim. They don't act rude to me about not wearing one, and I treat them with the same respect. I think most people just treat you the way you treat them, with the exception of a few judgmental jerks, but those kinds of people exist no matter who you are. If it'd make you happy, I'd say why not.

Timid Cat

15,225 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
At my university, there are lots of women wearing those. Nobody cares. I think they look kind of pretty myself, and I respect women who aren't afraid to stand for what they believe.
MiameMiame
I am not American but I will still give my two cents.
I do not agree with women covering up at all. In my opinion it is a sign of suppression. I do discriminate I guess; I have never talked with a woman who has covered up and I am pretty sure it will stay like that in the future (I avoid women who cover up in real life). I have talked with muslims, but those were men.

Ignorant Feminist.
Truth of the matter is no matter where you go with that or not everyone's going to discriminate. America unlike any other country are brutal with these things but, don't lose hope cos not everyone have the same opinions. Personally I find them beautiful! Wear them proudly!

Big Noob

Lots of women wear hijabs in America. It's very normal and you'll see it often.

Sugary Cat

a typical nobody
MiameMiame
I am not American but I will still give my two cents.
I do not agree with women covering up at all. In my opinion it is a sign of suppression. I do discriminate I guess; I have never talked with a woman who has covered up and I am pretty sure it will stay like that in the future (I avoid women who cover up in real life). I have talked with muslims, but those were men.

Ignorant Feminist.
Boo hoo rolleyes
Before anything, I have to say... that first girl is the most beautiful girl I've ever seen in a Hijab.

No, I wouldn't. I've had friends who wore it and they were awesome. It does take me a little off-guard when I see it (just cause I'm not used to it), but I don't think anything different about them.
I am speaking as an American. I would not discriminate or treat you in such a way as to undermine your rights.

That being said, I would probably develop a variety of preconceived notions (stereotypes) about you based on your appearance. It is normal for all humans do this.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff