Welcome to Gaia! ::

Millionaire

I think it's gorgeous and I wouldn't think differently I'd anyone for honoring a cultural tradition. It's not my place to say who's being oppressed and who's not, I don't know anyone's reasons for anything unless they tell me or it's completely obvious.

Fashionable Fatcat

7,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Pnyuu
I personally wouldn't discriminate you but at the same time I know people who would.

Pretty much this.

Hell, as far as my own opinions are concerned I have much more respect for a woman in hijab than an suit-clad office lady wearing a deep-plunging v-neck and blatantly-pulled-too-high-so-it-shows g-string. Modesty can be beautiful. 3nodding

Profitable Businesswoman

8,400 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Dressed Up 200
I wear something a lot like that and people stare but no one has said anything nasty yet. I don't think you can judge a whole group of people just because of the actions of a select few.

Snarky Vampire

39,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Champion 300
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
I've seen several women walking around Tucson, mostly at major shopping centers, who happen to be wearing a hijab, or some other religiously-mandated garb practicing Muslims wear. While I've occasionally wondered if the ones I just ran into were born in America, I've never jumped to the conclusion that they might have been terrorists. Mostly because... they've all gone about their business just like everyone else, never once looking or acting the least bit suspicious, like they have something to hide.

Dapper Dabbler

Nope.
I'd probably try to strike up conversation.

But you'd definitely get discriminated against in my town. Pretty much anyone who isn't a redneck gets discriminated against in some way. Which is why I don't have many friends here. Lol.

Benevolent Reveler

No. I know a lot of women who wear them. I don't care. The pattern is normally cute.
The airports might discriminate though.

Shirtless Hunter

8,600 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Millionaire 200
gabbytehninja
I live in Australia.

Personally I do not wear the hijab, but I really want to one day =) .. out of my own free will of course

I have many friends who wear the hijab because they love it, but MOST of them have faced a lot of discriminative people - who call them 'terrorist', asking 'what are you hiding?" and all this nonsense

And this is while the girls would mind their own business and are chilling with their friends

I was wondering if it is worse in America?
Would you judge me if I wore a hijab?

Ps: by hijab I mean only covering the hair, not the full face .. here are examples of the kinds of outfits my friend's wear

User Image

User Image

User Image

Personally I find them beautiful =) and if anyone here says they WOULD hate the girl wearing this, (even if it's by her own choice - trust me I know many girls who do it by choice) I want to know why would you hate her?
i can only speak for myself, but there are so many people in my school who wear them. my opinion=who cares? wear what you want so long as it covers the essentials. i don't even think about race when i see someone wearing a hijab. so no judging from me for what you wear. smile

Tainiae's Partner

Amorous Ladykiller

No, but I know a lot of people that would, and I live in California, not the South (as someone mentioned) or anywhere near the East coast. You're going to have discrimination in every state no matter where you go in America, most likely. It's inevitable, and a fall you'd have to take, unfortunately—but with the amount of people that do judge, there are many that don't as well.

P.S. those pictures are beautiful.

Wheezing Codger

7,200 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • 1 Win 50
  • PvP 200
Nah. See 'em all the time here.
No, I probably wouldn't even notice. But yes, other people will. I'm sure people discriminate against me all the time for having a giant scar on my head but that's because people suck. Don't hide who you are because stupid people might feel a little uncomfortable about it.

Quotable Noob

No, because I don't even live in America.

Shy Darling

I actually do wear a hijab. People did discriminate a lot towards me at first, but they got bored. Sure there are discrimination here and there, but not that much. I think it really depends which part of the country you live in.

Dangerous Fatcat

6,800 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
Yorkshire Chaps
I've never met anyone who wore it because they think it "looks cool." That's just...shallow and ignorant.

this.
I have a problem with people wearing religious garments because they think it looks cool (and they are not followers of the religion). This is a form of appropriation. It's insulting to practitioners of the religion/culture/etc, because these things hold meaning.

EDIT: I see that the OP is actually Muslim. Ok.

Also, I mean, I dont really care what people wear, but when it comes to sacred items and things of other cultures and religions, I encourage people to be respectful.
Stay out of the midwest and the south and youll be fine

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces