Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,450 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Clambake 200
Im getting an operation on my middle ear in a couple of months due to dead skin cells, and other than baby teeth removal which wasnt too bad, this will be my first real type of surgery. They will make a small incision behind my ear, remove the dead skin cells trapped behind the eardrum, as well as a part of the eardrum, and replace the part with cartilage. Then as a second surgery they will do bone repair and cleanup. This will prevent skull deterioration and in extreme cases, meningitis. Needless to say, I am nervous.
Has anyone ever had a similar good or bad experience with any type of surgery they would like to share?
What was recovery like?
Were you in and out in a few hours, or did you stay for a night or more?
Were you nervous?
Were you on medication afterwards? If so, what?
Was there lasting damage/pain/ill effects?

Sorry so many questions, just curious/trying not to freak out.
no

i'm not sickly

Lonely Friend

13,300 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
Melodic_Madness

I had surgery two years ago. Had a hysterectomy; partial though. I was a little scared because they said I could die from being over weight, but that I should be okay.
I was out for over 5 hours, and apparently did die during the surgery. But I did wake up later though. And felt very dazed.
I remember it felt like my insides were going to fall out every time I stood up. I was so.... I don't know. They put me on oxycodine for pain pills, but only took 2 of the 20 give. I have four little scars on my tummy that will always be there.
I think recovering is a bit weird. I think I was just out of it, but my nurses were nice and brought me food that I wanted.

I only stayed for one night and went home the next day. And I was so hungry, but they won't let you eat when you first wake up, because some people will throw up after surgery. I didn't though. I just felt really tired and slept. Depends on the person though.

Shadowy Rogue

3,700 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
Well, I've had a surgical tooth extraction. Not the regular yank-it-out type. They literally shattered three teeth because there wasn't enough body to grab onto. Then they drove a big spike into each of the remaining pieces and ripped 'em out.

The worst part of it all? The sound. Didn't feel a thing. But oh god, that sound.

I couldn't handle the pain medication so I stopped taking it after two days. But it was all good after that.
I've had the cartilage in my nose removed and replaced with plastic.

Lavish Ladykiller

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Conversationalist 100
I've had correctional clavicle surgery and they had to saw and file my bone down ugh gross

they told me to stay the night in the hospital and i was like "no ******** you i'm leaving" so i left.

SadSquidz's Husbando

Cute Husband

23,550 Points
  • Are You Jelly? 500
  • Married 100
  • Noble Shade 100
I've had a few surgeries, and one similar to yours, but they didn't cut behind me ear.
They were able to go and get the tissue out as if they were merely putting tubes in my ears.

Other than that, I had a mast in my left breast about 6 months ago.
They removed it, discovered it wasn't benign and then went and did a second surgery to remove more tissue.

They put me on pain medication, percocet the first time, and vicodin the second.
I didn't react well to either of the pain relievers though, and percocet gave me a horrid head ache (much worse than my chest pain), and the vicodin made me itch all over. e.e
That's about it.~

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
I had outpatient surgery to have a cyst removed from my shoulder. Wasn't your typical pop-it-on-YouTube kind of cyst.

Anyway, they used local anesthetic and I could hear the scalpel cutting. That was probably the worst part, even worse than when the anesthetic would wear off every ten or fifteen minutes. The surgeon went in a second time to make sure he got all of the cyst wall before he closed it up.

It looked really clean after the fact but it's gradually gone from being a smallish cross-shaped scar to being a god-awful spot that looks like an old gunshot wound. My scars tend to spread out and get ugly before fading though.

I don't know if that counts as a "real surgery" since I wasn't put under and there was little chance I could die, but the cyst was basically under my skin and close to my neck and spine. It was large enough that the surgeon considered doing it in an OR rather than his exam room. In that sense I suppose there's a chance it could have gone horribly wrong and crippled me somehow.

I routinely get to see some of the aftermath of cataract removal and IOL implantation though. They do that to you while you're conscious and they're more or less using a tiny Dremel to break up and then suck out your natural lens and replace it with a plastic implant. That's the lens in your eye, btw. Think about how scary that s**t must be.

Fashionable Sex Symbol

14,075 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Flatterer 200
Yes, last month. My arm..

This is the x-ray
When I was 2 or 3, I had a liver blockage, so a chunk of my liver was cut out.

15,550 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I had surgery on my hand when I was a kid. I dislocated my thumb and tore the ligament from the bone, so they had to go in and replace it.

And last summer I had top surgery.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Ive got stitched up before a couple times

Lonely Friend

13,300 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
quayla666
Yes, last month. My arm..

This is the x-ray

My grandmother had to have something like that done to her arm.
She tripped over a vacuum and broke her elbow.... on carpet.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
I had my leg impaled by a floorboard once.

Don't remember anything much about the surgery; I remember they were super confused about how to even get it out -- because who has this happen to them? -- but I do remember I was out the same day. Had crutches for a bit, but otherwise surprisingly no big deal. Didn't hurt until afterwards. Adrenaline is a crazy drug, bro.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff