• Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150
windows 95, with 33k modem
took me 26.23557634 seconds to load this page
Syed1217
m1nt3a

Dual booting Master Race here. sorry I came here from 4chan
I use OS X 10.7 and Windows 7.
OS X for whenever I want an os that I feel is intuitive and pretty, and Windows for whenever I want to play GTA: SA and kill hookers. I've been using OS X since I got my first computer in 2008, and I've been using Windows since mid 2011 though I had to reinstall it a few times because I accidently the whole thing by deleting system32 while trying to install a patch so it would look like OS X. I've since stopped trying to make it look pretty and just accepted that it's like a very ugly child that has clothes that fit it, unlike pretty goody-two-shoes OS X.

Oh. And I have iOS on my iPod touch. If it's relevant. I don't know if there are other OSes available as I've heard about jailbreaking but haven't done it.

Hey how'd you install OS X on your PC? Is it a difficult process?

Just make sure your hardware is compatible and make a bootable flash disk to install your OSx

Wheezing Fatcat

Ryonin
Due to a large number of duplicate threads, this subject has been created.

So...
Which OS do you use?
How long have you been using it?
Have you tried more than one?
Why do you prefer one over the other?

Redundant threads will be removed.

I use Windows & Linux.
I have been using Windows since I was 10 i think. Then when reaching at the age 20, i started to understand and use Linux more.
Right now I'm typing this through Sabayon Linux (my current Linux).
I have tried a few versions of Windows (95, 98, Me XP, 7, 8, 8.1).
I have tried a bit of Mac as well, but just for a short period of time.
Also tried a few versions of Linux (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Sabayon, Xubuntu, DreamStudio, Fedora). Already I have downloaded a few more to try out more of other Linux flavors.
I prefer different versions of OS based on their usefulness for me. :> Windows for gaming.
Linux for work -- seriously easy to do work here because less distraction. ^_^

Anxious Informer

5,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
This has probably been said before, but all operating systems have their strengths... I'm assuming this topic is about those intended for everyday personal use.
Most games and professional software are developed for Windows, so it's kind of unavoidable. Most of the time It Just Works™, but is also fairly customizable, enough not to cause much frustration for power users.
My desktop pc runs Win7 and my tablet runs Win8.1. Both are behind a separate OpenWRT router for security reasons. No, double NAT doesn't cause noticeable latency.

Shade

I use Windows 7 on my personal computer, never really touched any Linux based OS until this last year, and it's great.
I'm currently learning windows administration using both linux and windows.
Linux is very much preferred, windows can be such a maze when you're digging into the os, and having to restart after every right-click is a pain, I love that Linux is flat and most distributions don't come with so much crapware, and the option of no GUI is great and also preferred.
(I do hate that microsoft's patch tuesday always ends with them fixing the patches sunday)
I'll try not to bash Windows too much, it's really a great personal computer razz

Sparkly Bunny

7,900 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
Areweeffingserious
Syed1217
m1nt3a

Dual booting Master Race here. sorry I came here from 4chan
I use OS X 10.7 and Windows 7.
OS X for whenever I want an os that I feel is intuitive and pretty, and Windows for whenever I want to play GTA: SA and kill hookers. I've been using OS X since I got my first computer in 2008, and I've been using Windows since mid 2011 though I had to reinstall it a few times because I accidently the whole thing by deleting system32 while trying to install a patch so it would look like OS X. I've since stopped trying to make it look pretty and just accepted that it's like a very ugly child that has clothes that fit it, unlike pretty goody-two-shoes OS X.

Oh. And I have iOS on my iPod touch. If it's relevant. I don't know if there are other OSes available as I've heard about jailbreaking but haven't done it.

Hey how'd you install OS X on your PC? Is it a difficult process?

Just make sure your hardware is compatible and make a bootable flash disk to install your OSx

now almost all modern hardware is compatable with a few exceptions. even systems with amd cpus can now run OS X with a modified kernal.

Sparkly Bunny

7,900 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
right now im useing the windows 10 technical preview, its okay for now has some improvements over 8 but has so irksome ui changes like the new kinda gross looking window title bar buttoms and a few other nit picks . ive heard they are finally trying to add some stream line package management like Linux has that's not just the app store.

ive used most versions of windows quite a bit windows 8 being my favorite so far from a technical level. i always used to use Linux a lot but have never kept with it for some reason even though. im really looking forward to wayland compositer especially when it finally gets native amd suport instead of having to deal with catalyst having to build off of x.org and then modding the kernal to add wayland to it and then having to deal with the whole mess again when your system desides to update x.org or something even though you added it to the exclusion list. also the whole hasle of catalyst wanting a random two updates ago version of x.org that is annoyingly hard to find a build outisde of most repos.
'

Eternal Lunatic

19,575 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Hellraiser 500
Kinda complicated answer...

I've been through 4 OS's, starting with XP, Vista, Windows 7, and sorta windows 8 (my parents use the windows 8 computer and I REFUSE to have anything to do with it).

Backstory:

Our wonderful XP suffered BSOD in 2007 (had it since 2002), and we got the Vista about a month after. Vista "died" in 2009, and we got windows 7 in 2010. In December 2014, windows 7 suffered a horrible virus attack that disabled the monitor from displaying anything and managed to ******** everything up but personal, important files. We bought windows 8 in January 2015, and I'm laughing because it's my parents problem and so far they've had to take it in to get repaired 2 times. All this time, our Vista wasn't dead, and my dad "resurrected" it and hooked it down in the basement. While the windows 7 was being worked on after it got the virus, I was forced to use the Vista, but I actually grew to like it. A LOT.

So even though we have the windows 7 computer fixed and running again, I'm so used to Vista that it's without a doubt my favorite OS (Vista over windows 8 any day), and I'm currently using it for just about everything. I like Vista because it was the first OS with the new, awesome look that Windows 7 also had, plus I grew attached to it when our XP died.

I also don't get the whole hatred towards Vista. My "modern" games run just fine on Vista, and in fact run faster than Windows 7. The computer itself also runs faster than our poor Windows 7, and even with our sucky internet connection, it loads things a minute faster than Windows 7. As an added bonus, Vista has an added nostalgia factor for me, since I can play my shitty childhood games on it.

To top things all off, Frankenstein (the Vista computer's official name since it has random HP, Dell, and ASUS parts) is pretty much MY personal computer. I don't have to share it with anybody now that we have the windows 7 computer working, and since my parents are so used to their specific programs and windows 8 layout, they have trouble using Frankenstein because of how I set things up.

And of course, my Vista isn't complete without my Pale Moon browser that has it's army of add-ons, userscripts, and userstyles installed. heart

Heart Seeker

4,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
cable64
linux!
because it's 90% immune to viruses! 3nodding

lol. 90%. XD

Linux is actually pretty easy to hack into and put viruses on. It's just great that no one bothers trying. biggrin

Also, I'd have to stick with Windows. Sure it puts my CPU in the double digits (I hit 0% today in Ubuntu). But all those business level programs like Windows. However, I do use Ubuntu more anyway. XD It's just annoying to go, "Damn I want to draw or do graphics and have to restart"~
I will use an os even windows 8 but not for my personal use. my personal use i will use ether xp vista 7/10 hell i would use xp before i use 8 willingly. but seeing as i have been on computers for years 8 is not that bad for me. but as a whole i cant stand 8. i have seen what 10 looks like and that i love so much more i cant wait to use it.

right now i am learning to use linux and at this second linux is my fav os of all time it is so easy to use and it is much more fun to learn to use.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff