Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gender Swap 100
Ubuntu Linux 11.10 (Oneric Ocelot). I like using Linux because it's free and there's so many options (like, on Ubuntu you can choose using current Ubuntu, classic, or Gnome, or customize yourself if you know how... or if you don't even like Ubuntu, you can choose Fedora or another OS by Linux) and it's a community of programmers that voluntarily create and update the OS (which is constantly updating and ever changing... not to mention, when they've got a new version of Ubuntu out, the switch from the old to the new is incredibly easy!). And it's gorgeous and completely easy to use compared to Windows. I've never used a Mac, myself, but I think Ubuntu's on par with Mac. I like Mac, the only problem is that you have to purchase their computers if you want the OS. I should mention I have no problems with paying money for an OS, it's just how mega expensive it is nowadays.

In this day and age, everyone's using computers and it's literally become a necessity, so I think it's a bit ridiculous to make people pay so much for an OS that would become obsolete in a few years.

5,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
For me it depends in the task. I use my dual-boot windows 7 starter (though hardly windows because of WAY too many registry hacks) and Ubuntu Linux 11.10 netbook. I use this for programming and bringing to school for light gaming(I keep the windows to play starcraft 1)I have a Ubuntu 9.(4)? computer I built out of spare parts that I never use, and a custom built windows 7 professional 64-bit PC for gaming that need windows and good CPUs and stuff to run(world of warcraft, team fortress 2).

Tipsy Tipper

7,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Contributor 150
I use Mac. I like the interface and stuff waaaaay more. I am very used to Windows though, so the main thing I miss in Windows is...well just Paint. I can't find a good enough program to draw on my MacBook Pro yet. I don't mid though, since I use my iPad for art anyways.

Macs have better lifespans, the streaming for videos and quality are superb, and mostly, the webcam quality is soooooo much better than ANY Windows computer I have EVER used... HP, Dell, their webcam quality always looks like s**t. The webcam on my Mac is crisp and clear--and the effects are to die for amazing(some need work or maybe I should read the manual to know how to use it... sweatdrop )

So yeah... biggrin

6,600 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
I've used Windows, Mac OS X, and Ubuntu. I'd have to say though, that my most preferred operating system would be Windows. Specifically; 7.

I just like the overall freedom of it. To be able to use a mass majority of programs/applications. In addition, it doesn't look half bad either in terms of GUI.

I do like the simplicity of Mac OS X however. It's very easy-going on the computer itself yet so efficient.

Ubuntu was never a favourite of mine. I'm just not an Ubuntu-type person I suppose. razz

Dedicated Smoker

12,100 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I'm currently using Windows 7 on my home built computer.

8,575 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Which OS do you use?
I mostly use Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
How long have you been using it?
Well, two years ago I had a friend of mine fix my ancient, fossil of a computer that ran Windows XP and I got a taste of Windows 7 on his computer and instantly loved it. Then, when my crap of a laptop (that I bought used and didn't work all that great) died on me, I got a new Toshiba Satellite that (obviously) runs Windows 7 Home Premium. So, not that long. Just four days but so far no complaints. razz
Have you tried more than one?
Yes. I grew up only playing games on Windows 95, then on Windows 98. Then, my first computer (that was old and a hand-me-down from my older brother) used Windows XP Home Premium 32 bit. My moron of a brother used it when I was away for the summer, downloaded from a pop-up saying I had tons of viruses and nearly destroyed my computer so I had to have my friend wipe my hard drive for me and he put Windows XP Professional on it. Loved it, but was short lived. Three months later my com wouldn't even turn on, so I got yet another hand-me-down (though it wasn't from family, so I had to pay a small bit of money on it and it was my first laptop) and that had Windows XP Home Premium 32 bit (hello again). The laptop was severely damaged and only lasted me a year. Then I used my Grandmother's computer for school which has Windows Vista Home Premium. For Christmas I got my new laptop and am currently using Windows 7 Home Premium.
Why do you prefer one over the other?
Hmm....I guess out of familiarity. Or how well an operating system's natural defenses are. Right now, my preferred are a tie between XP and 7.

Bashful Mecha

7,025 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Timid 100
Which OS do you use?

Windows 7 Home Premium & Windows 7 Ultimate
__________________________________________________________________________________
How long have you been using it?

I think my Windows 7 Premium is 1-2 years and my Windows 7 Ultimate... Well this is going to be confusing but its 5 years..... It used to be Windows Vista
__________________________________________________________________________________
Have you tried more than one?

I've tried Windows XP, and MacOS
Why do you prefer one over the other?

I would say Windows 7 Ultimate....... but I don't use my Ultimate much because it's my parents....

Bashful Mecha

7,025 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Timid 100
JBean
Pit Scorpion

how long: 2 years

ohters: xp home

prefer: 64mb, more handling, more options

64 MB?
That's not much RAM..

I think I know what you mean but I'm no expert.

That would be the architecture (if that's the correct word, I'm not into hardware) and I don't think it's MBs? Or is it?

The correct word is bit....64-Bit Windows XP
I use Mac OS, it's been over 4 years.

I prefer mac over windows for two reasons: it's a unix system, it's easy to use GUI.

As a unix system administrator I like using a unix system so that I can write scripts on it and do manual work easily such as cron, mount, check disk.

The GUI on the mac I find is much more user friendly.

As for servers I usually use Gentoo or FreeBSD. Gentoo is really good for a fully customized system. FreeBSD is easy to set up and the website has great explanation on a lot of packages.

5,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
Win7 Pro for gaming, Ubuntu 11.04 for my MineCraft server and Ubuntu 11.10 netbook for light web browsing and portability.

Kawaii Bear

Win7, would've stuck with XP if it wasn't for incompatibility issues with a few things.

Angelic Exhibitionist

11,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Prayer Circle 200

Dual Booting Windows 7 Professional 64 bit And Fedora
I've been using Fedora for 6 Months and Windows 7 for 1 month
I've Used Vista, Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Puppy Linux
I prefer Windows 7 because of Steam

Dual booting Master Race here. sorry I came here from 4chan
I use OS X 10.7 and Windows 7.
OS X for whenever I want an os that I feel is intuitive and pretty, and Windows for whenever I want to play GTA: SA and kill hookers. I've been using OS X since I got my first computer in 2008, and I've been using Windows since mid 2011 though I had to reinstall it a few times because I accidently the whole thing by deleting system32 while trying to install a patch so it would look like OS X. I've since stopped trying to make it look pretty and just accepted that it's like a very ugly child that has clothes that fit it, unlike pretty goody-two-shoes OS X.

Oh. And I have iOS on my iPod touch. If it's relevant. I don't know if there are other OSes available as I've heard about jailbreaking but haven't done it.

EDIT: I'm referring to the OSes I have installed on my MacBook. It's not a hackintosh I'm not that cool.

3,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
m1nt3a

Dual booting Master Race here. sorry I came here from 4chan
I use OS X 10.7 and Windows 7.
OS X for whenever I want an os that I feel is intuitive and pretty, and Windows for whenever I want to play GTA: SA and kill hookers. I've been using OS X since I got my first computer in 2008, and I've been using Windows since mid 2011 though I had to reinstall it a few times because I accidently the whole thing by deleting system32 while trying to install a patch so it would look like OS X. I've since stopped trying to make it look pretty and just accepted that it's like a very ugly child that has clothes that fit it, unlike pretty goody-two-shoes OS X.

Oh. And I have iOS on my iPod touch. If it's relevant. I don't know if there are other OSes available as I've heard about jailbreaking but haven't done it.

Hey how'd you install OS X on your PC? Is it a difficult process?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff