xirolad
and my laptop runs ME.

I'm so sorry.
abyl

Windows: 3.x/95/95MSPlus/NT/98/98SE/2k/2kserver/XPpro
Mac OS "old": 6.0.7/7.1/7.5.x/7.6/8.0/8.1/8.6/9.0/9.1/9.2.2
Mac OS X: 10.0x/10.1x/10.2x/10.3x
Unixes: Solaris/Irix/NextStep
Linuxes: LinuxPPC/Yellowdog Linux/Debian (apt-get 0wnZ)/RedHat Linux 8&9/Mandrake 9.1

If I were a guy, I'd say abyl and Kiretsu were women after my own heart. xd

I remember dual-booting MacOS 8 and YellowDog (or LinuxPPC).... I still remember (barely) playing with Mac 128's in the university computer lab during the summer when I wasn't in school.

But then again, I remember learning fragments about how VAX/VMS worked over a 330 bps modem. *shudder*

-V
Kiretsu

Really? I didn't know they had silicon chips in the late 1800's. I thought those were invented around the WWII era.

Thanks for the history lesson.

Silicon (TM) chips were in fact the snack of preference for Civil War soldiers out on the field. It was produced by the Industrial North, which was premise for the war to begin; they wouldn't share the chips with the South, so they seceeded to Union to go forth and produce their own chips. Unable to engineer anything better, they lost the war.

Shadowstar
Ryonin
Which OS do you use?

In Heaven, UNIX is the underpinning of the system, Microsoft does the marketing, and Apple does user interface. In Hell, UNIX gets user interface, Microsoft does the underpinnings, and Apple gets marketing.

.... Will you marry me? wink
U-235
Kiretsu

Really? I didn't know they had silicon chips in the late 1800's. I thought those were invented around the WWII era.

Thanks for the history lesson.

Silicon (TM) chips were in fact the snack of preference for Civil War soldiers out on the field. It was produced by the Industrial North, which was premise for the war to begin; they wouldn't share the chips with the South, so they seceeded to Union to go forth and produce their own chips. Unable to engineer anything better, they lost the war.

Ah. Learn something new everyday.
Kiretsu

Ah. Learn something new everyday.

Heh... Life is a learning process.

A long time ago, an aquatic lifeform rose from the primordial ooze and came upon land, and thrived in its new environment... Some posters on GAIA are a side effect of this act.
Mac OS X 10.2.8 here. I want to get Panther (10.3) but I don't have the money yet, and I really don't look forward to reinstalling everything.

I've used various flavors of Windows, too, and much prefer Win 2K.

I've had my PowerBook (Mac) for a little over a year now and I would kill anyone who tried to take it away from me.
I run windows 98se ....heh ive tried most windows down to win3.0 to xp and this would have to be the most...well...umm...'safest' had for 2 months but had before for an extreamly loooong time...(stopped keeping count...^^)
Pairaka
Mac OS X 10.2.8 here. I want to get Panther (10.3) but I don't have the money yet, and I really don't look forward to reinstalling everything.

You don;t have to. You can upgrade, even with the full retail version, without any file loss/reloads.
I use Mandrake Linux 9.1 Absolutely love it, and have been using it for about 2 years (different versions, ect.) I just love linux... You can download Mandrake completely free and it's open source. In my opinion, it's better than Windows. Okay... I'm done.
NinaV
If I were a guy, I'd say abyl and Kiretsu were women after my own heart.

Except that Abyl is a guy.

(seriously, even if I didn't know it, the whole "mine is bigger than yours" should have let me guess)

As far as i'm concerned, I used various unices, as well as windows 3.1 to xp, and i'm fairly happy with win2k and red hat.

On macs I used (and still use, actually) osX and classic. Needless to say I'd rather have osX than classic to work with.
batou
NinaV
If I were a guy, I'd say abyl and Kiretsu were women after my own heart.

Except that Abyl is a guy.

Since I refuse to mix online with offline, I go solely by the avatar gender. Life is a whole lot easier that way.

I've used every (released) Apple OS since Apple's DOS on the Apple II+, with the exception of the newest one out. I also toyed with YellowDog, LinuxPPC and something else that I can't remember any more.

I've used (not necessarily willingly) Windows, something along these lines: 3.1, for Workgroups, 95, 98, NT4 Workstation, 2000Pro, 2000Server, XP Pro, XP Home (for about three days, then I got another license for Pro).

I've used various RedHat versions since 5.2 or so.

I've touched FreeBSD (I think that was 4.2-ish) but don't know it quite well enough to say I USED it.

That's a bit more indepth than my previous answer. Heh.

-V
i use vb for programming.....
i use dreamweaver for make web...
i use macromedia director for presentation...
i use macromedia flash for make games...
i use adobe photoshop for modified image...
i use xp pro for all of the work...
TQ.
The funny thing is that you might as well be using os X with such a description.
Wow. o_o This thread is finally in one spot! Cool!

I'm currently using WinXP Pro.

The things I Like About It:

A lot more stable that the other M$ OSes that I've used. I haven't crashed it yet, and the one problem that I did end up having with it was easily correctable, thanks to the OS taking snapshots of the HD before any changes are made.

Being able to change the interface from this candy coated crap.... stare

I don't think I've had a single program from the past that hasn't worked on it yet. >_> I'll keep you updated if that changes.

The Things I /dont/ Like About It:

The security updates. My gods. It doesn't seem I can't eat, sit, breathe, or go to the bathroom without hearing that something else has gone buggily wrong with the thing. Granted, I keep my computer rather protected (AV and Zonealarm consistently running), but I've seen friends go down in the blue screen of death more than once thanks to worms, virii, and hackers.

The space it takes up (I seriously fear the next OS.... it's going to be a monster @_@)

The 'The average user is a dummy, so we must protect them from everything!' features. I've been using computers before M$ breathed and Apple was still on the tree. I /think/ I should know what I'm doing by now. >.<

All in all, it isn't too bad, though. Not perfect, but little in life is.
I have Windows 2000 b/c 98 sucks and I don't have XP.

MOO!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces