Welcome to Gaia! ::

Generous Entrepreneur

13,925 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Generous 100
Yay, a sticky OS thread!

I have five computers. Four of them (Mac desktops) running OS 9.22 and one iBook running OS 10.3. I'm praying for a quick release of the 10.3.1 updater to hopefully fix third party software support. Three of my four desktops are so old that they will never run OS 10.3. They'll remain at OS 9.22 as long as they continue to work.
Ryonin

So...
Which OS do you use?
How long have you been using it?
Have you tried more than one?
Why do you prefer one over the other?

I use Windows XP professional at home, Windows 98 and 2000 at school.

I've been using Windows XP for almost a year, Windows 2000 for 2 years and 98 since public school.

Yes, I also sometimes use Operating Systems that have nothing to do with Microsoft (Mac, mostly), but I prefer Windows because I am a gamer and there is a slight lack of software on most other platforms (although there is some interesting stuff for Mac...).
JBean
Until I realized who made the thread I just thought someone was trying to make Kiretsu cry wink

I did cry when I saw it, but for a much different reason than usual. biggrin
I'm writing this from WinXP Pro. I wouldn't say I prefer it. I prefer Mac OS X, but I can't afford to stay moderately current on the hardware. I also use linux on a fairly regular basis... not as a desktop, but a server platform. Oh, and I use PalmOS. wink

-V
Windows XP, because I actually USE MY COMPUTER(S). I have a comp with Lindows 4 on it.... but not for long.

LINDOWS! THE LOOK OF WINDOWS WITH THE ROUNDABOUT WAY OF DOING THINGS THE LINUX WAY! Way to ******** go. The whole point of Windows is so you DON'T HAVE TO MOUNT EVERY DRIVE MANUALLY AND SPEND A WEEK INSTALLING A ******** SOUNDBLASTER 16 ISA CARD, THE STANDARD SINCE THE ******** CIVIL WAR.
Raijin Z
Windows XP, because I actually USE MY COMPUTER(S). I have a comp with Lindows 4 on it.... but not for long.

LINDOWS! THE LOOK OF WINDOWS WITH THE ROUNDABOUT WAY OF DOING THINGS THE LINUX WAY! Way to ******** go. The whole point of Windows is so you DON'T HAVE TO MOUNT EVERY DRIVE MANUALLY AND SPEND A WEEK INSTALLING A ******** SOUNDBLASTER 16 ISA CARD, THE STANDARD SINCE THE ******** CIVIL WAR.

Really? I didn't know they had silicon chips in the late 1800's. I thought those were invented around the WWII era.

Thanks for the history lesson.

Aged Noob

Raijin Z

lol, i know what you mean, back when i switched from dos to windows 3.11 workgroup i had a hell of a time trying to get my modem to work. then when i upgraded to windows 98 SE it was even worse. what i really hate is how the games suck as chess and checkers from windows 3.11 wont work on windows 98 and there isnt an updated version. i hate how i have to get on the net just to play a damn game of chess or checkers
dude i will use any OS, Mac9/X.3, win9x/2000/xp, luinx, whatever i just won't use ME and NT they can go to hell, go to hell and die
I use windows 2k on my current computer. I havn't found anything that works better for me. I had XP for a while, but it started going crazy on me and not letting me install stuff. I had to put a stop to that crap, and 2k just seemed like a better, easier alternative to going in and altering settings.

I really want to get a Mac. I've used them before and I love it, but I just don't have the money to buy another computer, or even to build one (PC). I'm in a constant state of being broke, and I don't know if I really want to get a job to fix that problem...I kind of like being lazy a little too much biggrin
I wanted to make a project out of upgrading my iMac, but just to get an 800mhz motherboard/cpu and 256MB of ram, I'd have to spend $600. Bohze ******** moi! Less than $100 will get you all that for a PC.
Hi.

Im Still Quite Naked..

At home I have 4 computers.

At School I have 3.

My home computers are using Windows Xp, Windows 2000, Redhat 9 and Windows 98.

At School I use Windows Xp, Windows 98 and Redhat 9.

domokun eek domokun
>Which OS do you use?

OS X 10.3 on my G4 QuickSilver and on my AluBook 12"
OS X 10.3 server on my G4 Cube
XP Pro on the HP laptop

>How long have you been using it?

Well OS X I know it since the first Rhapsody dev release and use it since the first preview release.

If we look about all Mac OS, I had the first contact in 1992 on a Macintosh LC (Sw33t). I discovered the ultimate power of GUI, drag and drop, network SCSI, Multifinder, Crazy cars, Hypercard, etc...

Then, I used my father's PC, a 486DX4/100 IBM Thinkpad, I tried Win 3.11, I lived the Win 95 switch, etc... but came back to Mac with My first own computer: a PowerMac 8200/120 heart

Windows: 3.x/95/95MSPlus/NT/98/98SE/2k/2kserver/XPpro
Mac OS "old": 6.0.7/7.1/7.5.x/7.6/8.0/8.1/8.6/9.0/9.1/9.2.2
Mac OS X: 10.0x/10.1x/10.2x/10.3x
Unixes: Solaris/Irix/NextStep
Linuxes: LinuxPPC/Yellowdog Linux/Debian (apt-get 0wnZ)/RedHat Linux 8&9/Mandrake 9.1

All OSes have their plus and cons, some are better to use for some specialized task.

At work I can handle both, but at home I prefer Mac OS so I don't have to stress, My Macs are more like comrade than tools. heart
I like linuxes to make reliable "one button box" blaugh
I use windows when I need to and because of iRO stressed

that's all smile

heart And my best friend on gaia should be kiretsu heart
At home I run a G4 MDD with OSX 10.2. I've yet to upgrade to Panther due to the bugs that I've read about. Once they iron them out I might upgrade.

I also run a Dell PC with Win 98, Virtual PC on the Mac is running XP, and my laptop runs ME.

I've also used everything from UNIX to DOS. Despite everyone's complaints about ME, I've yet to have a problem on my laptop. But OSX is a better OS in my opinion.
Oh yeah?

Crapple: Powermac running System 2
Pizzabox: Mac LCII running System 7.1
Rinako: Performa running System 7.5.5
007: iMac BondiBlue running System 8.5.1(?)
Breadbox: P166 running Lindows OS 4
Sixpack: 386 25 running Win 3.11
Locker: 486 66 running Win95
Gray: P100 running WinME
Shinomi 4: K62 266 running WinME
Ragnaroki: K62 300 running WinXP (motherboard failed last month, hdd salvaged)
Vaio: P3 866 running WinXP
Ninomi: P3 1GHz running WinXP (motherboard failed last night, hdd salvaged)

...and those are just the systems that I can actually use (minus the two that just died). There is a Tandy and two Amigas that need boot disks.

Familiar Star

Ryonin
Which OS do you use?

In Heaven, UNIX is the underpinning of the system, Microsoft does the marketing, and Apple does user interface. In Hell, UNIX gets user interface, Microsoft does the underpinnings, and Apple gets marketing.

I am 2/3rds of the way to heaven, otherwise known as running OSX.
Ryonin
How long have you been using it?

Apple in general, since... 1985.
Ryonin

Of COURSE. I've tried... UNIX, Linux, various Windows incarnations, DOS, Commodore... what did the Commodore use...? I was only 4, you can forgive me for not remembering.
Ryonin

As I said, 2/3rds to heaven. I can play with UNIX when I want, or I can use the Apple interface stuff, which is very pretty and eye pleasing, it's stable... good integration with hardware and software...

And of course, I can brag about the fact that I can afford Apple hardware wink (hee hee... okay, that last one was a joke...)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff