Welcome to Gaia! ::

trippledence
also, thers no Office for Suse thats whts realy holding me back

OpenOffice is your friendly neighborhood open source office suite. I've only used it for a few things, but so far, no problems.

Z.
I guess the question of the topic has an error of redaction, because I use Windows XP, the reason is than windows xp is the os installed in the university I study.
Windows ME rocks, it may be a little dated but I find it much better than XP anyday, seeing as how whenever I use XP anywhere it seems to crash constantally... and no its not the operators fault because i have been using computers for about 14 years...

Gaian

Well.........I have two computers, each with a different operating system.

The one that's used the least((mostly because it's the one I use when I wanna perform in "educational activities" wink ) is the one that runs off Linux. I seriously need to upgrade the OS on that one, though...... -_-

The one that I'm using right now........well.............this OS is NOT supposed to be out until 2006 at the earliest, but I got lucky and get to beta test it for Microsoft. It's a little gem known as Windows: Longhorn. I'm hoping I get to test the one that they're working after this one........Windows: Blackhorn. When it comes to other OS' made by Microsoft, Longhorn is the shark in the water........the rest are popcorn shrimps compared to this sucker. Good stuff. Run out and get it once it hits shelves.
Windows XP Pro/Corp (tweaked to get rid of many of the extraneous services it loads automatically, but you'll never use, or just don't want)

as to why...

more stable (in my eperience) than windows versions not of NT derivation (i can actually do stuff on it for days on end... i've only had a handfull of OS-crashes since i switched around the time service pack 1 came out)

mac has horrible software selection, and while they are slowly improving, it's still not good enough - especially for the cost.

linux, like mac, needs to work on the software selection. for example, the gimp simply does NOT replace photoshop and i have yet to see an open source equivalent to MS Access... not to mention the few games that i do play won't work well (if at all) under winex emulation yet.

(if software wasn't an issue, and i had a second system that i could putter around with so as to get past the learning curve without risking anything, i'd switch to linux.)
Damien_Underblade
The one that I'm using right now........well.............this OS is NOT supposed to be out until 2006 at the earliest, but I got lucky and get to beta test it for Microsoft. It's a little gem known as Windows: Longhorn. I'm hoping I get to test the one that they're working after this one........Windows: Blackhorn. When it comes to other OS' made by Microsoft, Longhorn is the shark in the water........the rest are popcorn shrimps compared to this sucker. Good stuff. Run out and get it once it hits shelves.

like copies of it haven't been floating around the net for ages...

actually, this is the first positive review of it i've heard so far.
Nekomusume Daisuki!
Damien_Underblade

like copies of it haven't been floating around the net for ages...

actually, this is the first positive review of it i've heard so far.

Ditto. And isn't there some osrt of non-disclosure agreement? There usually is with Beta testing, and beta testers, where you are not even allowed to discuss the software in anyway shape, or form, which would include saying you have it.
I use Windows XP. I use it because it's the only OS I have.
I am using win XP now. I use win 2k when I first got this pc this year since win 2k is more stable then win XP. But later, my win 2k was corrupted when I use the cd my friend borrowed me.

By the way, one of my friend who is using Mac told me that Mac doesnt support a lots of softwares. Are you guys using the windows XP specially made for Mac pc or ??
Macs dont use a Microsoft OS. they have their own.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/
http://guide.apple.com/action.lasso?-database=macosguide&-layout=cgi_detail&-response=/ussearch/detail.html&prodkey=26775&-search
Quote:
...Virtual PC for Mac is available with different operating systems pre-configured and pre-installed including Windows 98, 2000, XP Home, XP Professional and PC-DOS...

*__* This looks like microsoft OS made for Mac pc to me. ^^''
Yes... but Virtual PC is a program which you can run Windows through on the Mac. The Mac cannot run a Microsoft OS without this program. It uses it's own OS, which I provided a link to.

EDIT: To elaborate, you cannot install Windows directly on a Mac, and use it as your primary OS. You can run it through Virtual PC, but think of it like running a Super Nintendo program on your PC. It may play the games, but it doesn't make your computer a SNES.
*_* wow!!!Cool!!!So that means you can run windows XP by using this virtual pc? ^^;; kinda difficult for me to understand since I am not using mac. XDD But I love apple pc!
Yes, you can run it through that application, but it tends to be rather slow, and is not very good for gamming either.
OSX of course! I heard some people don't use Macs for some reason.
However I'm poor so I 'only' have an iBook running 10.1.5
I have a $20 off cupon at the Apple store I'll redeem at some point for Panther....
Did I forget some information?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces