Welcome to Gaia! ::

Which do you like, apple map or google map?

Apple map 0.090909090909091 9.1% [ 1 ]
Google map 0.90909090909091 90.9% [ 10 ]
Total Votes:[ 11 ]

King Wolf

11,000 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Cool Cat 500
I just upgraded my iPad to iOS6, and spent a whole night trying its 3D maps.

It is so interesting to me, I had a tour to San Francisco, Las Vegas, the Great Canyon ... so great!

I also compared with the google map on Nexus 7, the apple map is much better at textures and models! But in google map 3D, the view angle is very flexible, I can look up into the sky while in apple map I can only look down at about 45 degree at most.

Thought there are still many flaws in apple map, I've already been shocked by its beautiful view.

So what do you think?

Shy Mage

5,800 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
google map is better.

King Wolf

11,000 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Cool Cat 500
Emoluv349
google map is better.

I agree the google map is better overall.

But apple map is also not so bad as people said 3nodding

Shy Mage

5,800 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
oxydizer
Emoluv349
google map is better.

i still think its better 4laugh

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
oxydizer
Emoluv349
google map is better.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/petercohan/2012/09/27/apple-maps-six-most-epic-fails/

Here's a handful of reasons why it sucks.

In general, IMO, Apple has no ******** clue what they're doing with the new map. They added a handful of really cool features, mind you I'm not arguing that, but the map software itself (and as a service) is very, very sub-par.

Also, some of the features Apple added Google already had available in Google Earth.

Shameless Enabler

I think it's a maturity issue. Google's maps are almost a decade old, and have benefitted from massive crowd sourcing on mobile and the web - not many people remember just how awful Google Maps were when they first went live either, and even now, in 2012, bizarre bugs happen when you least expect them (seriously, try being a field technician with a dozen different addresses to visit in a day - at least two will send you in the wrong direction, and on more than one occasion, the wrong ******** continent).

The analysis I've read basically stated Apple was between a rock and a hard place (contractually), and had to rush their solution out, but I think it's accuracy will improve with time. I don't particularly like it compared to Google's solution, but it's serviceable, and it'll get better as they collect more data and more people report bugs. That said, if Google, right now, had a native app on iOS I'd be using it, but their webapp is ******** awful so I'm using it mainly as a backup solution when Apple's Map shits all over itself.

To their credit, Apple have owned up to the gaff, and even list Google Maps' webapp as a solution while their own gets better, along with a slew of other native solutions.
Apple map is great if the last thing you need is a map.
And this is why I run a nokia (N8) phone. Maps that are on par with a good handheld gps. Hell. Navteq is the map provider for garmin, mapquest and yahoo to name a few. And I do not have to have an internet connection either so while others are going "s**t. I have no signal for downloading maps" I am not noticing a thing. Although if I do have internet I can get traffic data if needed among other things.

And I have always laughed at the no turn by turn bit. That is a base feature for mine.

As of windows mobile 8 as far as I know they are going to be the maps for the entire system rather than just nokia.

Edit: ******** you parser. ******** you.
I like maps that work.

So I don't understand the question.

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
I've had Google Maps and Google Earth on my iPod Touch since I first bought it. I also have the Bing app with maps. You do have more than two map app options on iOS 6.

All of them have key functionality. But all of them have one glaring flaw that makes them as bad as the claims made against Apple's Map app. They're slow. So horribly slow and glitchy. Waiting for the screen to redraw and refresh is painful at times depending on the speed of the wi-fi connection.

For all the complaints and screen grabs of the graphic flaws in Apple Map, it's amazingly fast! No pauses or halts. No jitters. Just drag your finger and the map flows like water. And I've yet to find any flaws in my community that were not matched or worse than the placement of businesses on street maps.

Take your pick. Live with the compromises of your choice. I haven't found any compelling reason to keep Google or Bing. Yet I haven't found enough reasons to erase their apps from my iPod Touch yet.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff