Welcome to Gaia! ::

OpenBSD 3.6

=D
Shoroo_Lupin
Linksys WRT54GS. It's good.

Take away the "S". Thats what I've got.
I'm using a wireless d-link. But it's about to loose it's DHCP work to my firewall.

Then becoming an access point.
a belkin r01... 4 port DSL

Featurewise its quite good has the NAT the forwarding the uplinking DMZs HTTP interface and such but I find it quite poorly programed... It has no contiguty checking it runs on itself and twice already i've had it screw up to the point where I had to restore its factory settings.

Dapper Gaian

1,225 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Gaian 50
A Linksys/Vonage RT31P2 -- pretty much a hacked together wired router with a set of TAs plopped on it. Eventually, I'll plop either a WRT54G with sveasoft firmware in front of it or a BSD router wink
I have a ******** router (though I suppose I should be happy it still works after two simultaneous power surges)

IRL Gaian

Gentoo linux box running on a P3 450 / 256 megs RAM, running stateful firewall filters, dynamic port forwarding, and some anti-intrusion software as well...

It also provides NFS services across my internal LAN for all my workstations, as well as DHCP, an IPv6 gateway running totd for pure IPv6 terminals (yes, I do have one of them), and acting as a brouter to the downstairs LAN...
Netgear supplied by my ISP. Runs pretty well, 100 base, and wireless. Not that I use wireless.
TehFluffeh
If you have an old spare computer and a few spare NIC cards, it's relatively painless to set up (freesco) as far as Linux-based routers go. Not the easiest by far, but I like it, and if you have the spare parts, it'll be cheaper then buying one. (Plus you get all the firewall/routing/funky fun stuff benefits of Linux.)

Cheaper if you have one just lying around, yes, but the ones you buy don't have fans and disks that make noise and occasionally just stop working domokun

It looks like freesco's config tool has improved too - I remember when they didn't have one. Entering ipchains/iptables lines manually may be powerful, but it's definitely not intuitive.

If only it was possible to run linux or bsd into more store-bought wireless routers, like they've done with the Linksys WRT54G.
basically linksys is the way to go
Origo ASR 8100 DSL modem / router combo. Insecure by default and buggy to the point of crashing every two months.

Sitecom unlabelled ethernet router. Really s**t. Port forwarding is nonexistant and it can't handle more than about 30 similtaneous TCP connections at any one time. Ugh.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff