Welcome to Gaia! ::

Just remember that food attracts guys more than it normaly would the fairer sex. So keep in mind that alot of guys are color blind - You want your text to be two things that can't blend. ((Reds on just about anything; I can't read.))

I suggest nothing real Flash intensive; If I'm looking for something to eat I don't want to watch plates flying by - are you gonna be throwing food at me? I'd rather see the dish; without it moving. I'd rather see the dishes; know what's in'em maybe a little bit about them.
I mostly just want to know what the food is; if your killing some time waiting for Girlfriend/spouse to finish getting ready maybe a small information section outlining things like the style; how it's cooked; history. Just keep in mind the peopel are hungry give them the nicest looking picture of the dish you can and tell'em what's in it.

Frozen Sex Symbol

I love flash site, its something I have yet to master and simply adore.
well as been mentioned W3C Complience is a good thing
flash is a bad thing

on the color note you might wanna try to capture the ambeounce of the reastrant ... and use it with in the page

no music should be used ...

a full menu is always a good thing {some people refuse to go to a restrant were they don't know anything about the food or prices {I have refused to go somewere based on the website before}}
Since it's for a restaurant, you might want to look at the *really* big restaurants; you know, McDonalds, burger king, Pizza hut... You need the impressive- but clean- interface the other people has mentioned (with the W3C complient (X)HTML and the optional flash), but if you *really* want to be impressive, you include some history, both of the food and the country. What you could learn from aforementioned sites is what to include rather than how to present it, stuff like what food is served, what it contains and it's energy values.

Honestly, good design is important to make people stay, but there's sort of a threshold in good design. Once you've reached it, most people won't bother how good it looks, and that's where you go for content. If you can convey the image that the restaurant really takes it's customers and business seriously and knows what it's doing, you've succeeded.

In short; Work on presentation, but when you're somewhat satisfied with that, be sure to work at least as much on content.
Since I'm tired, I'll be brief. The world cheers.

- Does the site look appealing? As a user, I don't much care about W3C compliance (as a designer, I care a lot about it). Just show me the appealing and I'm there.

- Flash annoys me. Large PDFs annoy me. Stick to HTML, and let me get to the content. If I want to check out Flash, I can go to newgrounds. If you stick it in my face, I'll be looking for a skip button. PDFs, wihtrare exception, should not be used. It isn't difficult to code a 2 page menu.

- Content! I'm not looking at your design (CSS Zen Garden being an exception. Eric Meyer's tutorials being another). I want what I came for. For a restaurant, I often look for locations, hours. contact info, menus, and... the forgotten element... nutritional info. If you lack nutritional info, you tend to lose my business.

- Content Navigation. I want to find what I'm looking for without too much trouble. If you make me wade through unclear menus, I'll hate you. I have a theory; you lose half of your audience for each click they have to make. Make it simple, kay?

- Do you update? I'd like something besides 1997's menu, thanks.

- Finally... is your page professionally pesented? Sorry, but you're no longer getting my money if you have no domain name, point blank. If you, as a business, are too cheap to pay for a domain, I dread the product you'll produce. If you're too cheap to pay a web master (hi, I do that, pretend business) then... see above. Don't design a page in Word and expect me to be comfortable buying from you.

That was brief. wink

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces