Welcome to Gaia! ::

ninja I have been looking for the worst OS but I can figure one out could it be IOS or an obscure Linux maybe its Microsoft ME
woundgiant
ninja I have been looking for the worst OS but I can figure one out could it be IOS or an obscure Linux maybe its Microsoft ME
It's a tossup between VMS, ITS, OS/360, and JavaOS.

Windows ME doesn't even register on the list of bad OSes. I don't care what PCWorld says.

Bonus runner-up: The biggest joke in Operating Systems development is GNU Hurd. 24 years on and they still don't have a usable platform. Linux is a thing because Linus was bored one day and got sick of waiting for GNU to do something productive.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
Windows Vista.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Scarred Sword Heart
Windows Vista.

Vista never BSOD'd because you pressed the Start button. WinME did that to me.

Codebreaking Genius

10,300 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Member 100
...I actually had Windows ME display its boot splash screen for a quick second, then it BSOD'd, then it went to the desktop right after. It was the strangest thing. eek

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
Maybe TempleOS?

It's either terrible or brilliant. I'm leaning toward terrible.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
LOL @ TempleOS. I checked out a YouTube video of it. Is it for real?

Dapper Gaian

1,225 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Gaian 50
Minix 3.2. The documentation for it is nearly nonexistent, and the difference between it and Minix 3.1 (covered in the book about Minix) is pretty large lol.

You could say learning the difference is the learning experience, but still it seems weird that an OS where learning about OSes is the point, is so poorly documented.
Windows RG
Seizure Warning: Don't open paint if you are prone to seizures induced by flashing images.

Newbie Noob

Microsoft Bob.

Microsoft Bob was an interesting shell that sat on top of Windows 3.11 and was intended to replace Windows 3.11's gui system.

It used a room metaphor. So, like, if you wanted to lock a series of program away from other users, you would literally lock the door to the room which had the programs.

Really important files, you'd place in the safe behind the painting.

It gets better. Like Dad would have the garage, because dad has the garage, and clicking the car, like dad working on the car, could open your program. So that could be Microsoft Word. And the tool bench could be Excel. There was no reason or purpose to the icons. They existed because they were in the room, and were assigned by the user.

It didn't last very long. But the Dog that does search and the idea for clippy cam from MSBob.
Mac OS 9 and earlier. Windows ME. Palm OS. Any old stock cellphone OS.

Newbie Member

7,400 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Voter 100
From my personal experience the worst OS I had experienced was Windows 2000, ME, Vista older versions of BlackBerry and Pear OS 8
I'll put in a vote for Windows ME.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces