Welcome to Gaia! ::

So, i wanted to test something. To that end i wrote a program that creates 1 million files in a single folder.
I made two errors:
- i used the root folder of a drive instead of a separate folder
- i didn't realize that File.Create returns a file stream, so (i canceled the program after about 250k files) i had 250k open file pointers or something. And the program crashed ...

I changed it to delete all this crap now. Good thing i didn't use random file names, too ...

Edit: On a side note, do you guys happen to know the average length of file names on your systems? Just a little something i would like to know. For me it was about 20 characters (OS is Windows).
The20
Edit: On a side note, do you guys happen to know the average length of file names on your systems? Just a little something i would like to know. For me it was about 20 characters (OS is Windows).
(sudo find / -not -path 'lost+found' -exec basename '{}' ';' | while read l; do echo -n "$l" | wc -c ; done | awk 'BEGIN{n=0;t=0} {n=n+$1; p=p+1;} END{print n " " p}'; echo "/p" ) | dc

I'll let you know if it ever finishes.
psychic stalker
The20
(sudo find / -not -path 'lost+found' -exec basename '{}' ';' | while read l; do echo -n "$l" | wc -c ; done | awk 'BEGIN{n=0;t=0} {n=n+$1; p=p+1;} END{print n " " p}'; echo "/p" ) | dc

Thanks.
What's the t good for, though? Was that supposed to be a p?

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
God Emperor Akhenaton
Sonic Offline
Starting the day pissed off is the healthy alternative to the norm!

God Emperor Akhenaton
WWLink
I like the "help me build a PC" threads as they suggest there's still quite a future in that niche. biggrin I love self-built rigs and would be disappointed if they went the way of the dodo bird.

Same with the "help me pick a PC" threads. There's too much "the iPad will replace everything ever!" type of crap going around the internet.

If we still have landlines and ocean liners, then we will continue to have custom builds.
because those are totally related and all...

Well it's evidence that things just don't become obsolete. Why have a land line when there are cellular phones? Why sail across the Atlantic for 8 days when you can fly for 6 hours? Because things do not go obsolete. They still make swords, they still make model airplanes and they still make typewriters. The custom build is going nowhere because there is still an interest in it.
landlines exist because sometimes a fax is a requirement becaues it's harder to fake than an email. Ocean Liners still exist for entertainment and business purposes, not travel.

They aren't being used for the originally inteded purpose, so they may as well be gone.
Sonic Offline
God Emperor Akhenaton
Sonic Offline

God Emperor Akhenaton
WWLink
I like the "help me build a PC" threads as they suggest there's still quite a future in that niche. biggrin I love self-built rigs and would be disappointed if they went the way of the dodo bird.

Same with the "help me pick a PC" threads. There's too much "the iPad will replace everything ever!" type of crap going around the internet.

If we still have landlines and ocean liners, then we will continue to have custom builds.

Well it's evidence that things just don't become obsolete. Why have a land line when there are cellular phones? Why sail across the Atlantic for 8 days when you can fly for 6 hours? Because things do not go obsolete. They still make swords, they still make model airplanes and they still make typewriters. The custom build is going nowhere because there is still an interest in it.
landlines exist because sometimes a fax is a requirement becaues it's harder to fake than an email. Ocean Liners still exist for entertainment and business purposes, not travel.

They aren't being used for the originally inteded purpose, so they may as well be gone.

May as well be gone does not mean gone. So I guess that means you lose.

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
God Emperor Akhenaton
Sonic Offline
God Emperor Akhenaton
Sonic Offline

God Emperor Akhenaton
WWLink

May as well be gone does not mean gone. So I guess that means you lose.
Only if you want to be right so desparately that you have to troll me into your opinion, then yes, I lose. Frankly, I just don't care anymore, because no matter how retarded the comment is you make, you're never wrong.

Go ahead, be right. Two completely unrelated things make a 3rd unrelated thing true. I'll let you know when the sky turns piss yellow because the turtle in my backyard picked up my tablet and ordered some dominos.
The20
psychic stalker
The20

Thanks.
What's the t good for, though? Was that supposed to be a p?
Yeah, it was, but AWK doesn't seem to care.
Sonic Offline
God Emperor Akhenaton
Sonic Offline

God Emperor Akhenaton
WWLink

a fax of a legal document is a valid legal document, an email is not.

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
Doctor Four
Sonic Offline
God Emperor Akhenaton
Sonic Offline

God Emperor Akhenaton
WWLink

That doesn't disprove my point, but thank you for the clarification.
Sonic Offline
Doctor Four
Sonic Offline
God Emperor Akhenaton
Sonic Offline

That doesn't disprove my point, but thank you for the clarification.

That's just why faxes HAVE to exist, more or less. laws have yet to catch up to technology.
God Emperor Akhenaton
Sonic Offline

God Emperor Akhenaton
WWLink

Everything runs on landlines. Without landlines connecting it to the rest of the net the cell tower in your neighborhood would be completely useless.

Edit: i'm impressed, Windows Explorer can handle a folder with 1,000,000 files. I mean, it's crawling at a snails pace and working with it is pretty much impossible, but it didn't crash yet. Fascinating.

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
God Emperor Akhenaton
Saruwatari Kooji
God Emperor Akhenaton

Why must you make it so painfully aware how out of touch with reality you are?

Obsolete does not imply they stop making things. It's not even in the definition

Land lines are still required for various things, such as fax. The reasons for using it are varied, but that does not imply that the technology isn't obsolete. It's old and outdated with better alternatives.

The reasons for ocean liners are varied as well, but many of them aren't exactly "obsolete". The idea of sailing may seem obsolete when compared to flying, but the same argument could be applied to bikes vs automobiles. It doesn't really make sense.

Model airplanes are a hobby item, as they always have been.

Swords are obsolete, but are, again, being made for various reasons. In many developed nations the primary reason for sword production is collectors, but there are the few ceremonial uses for them as well.

As for typewriters...click me. They are no longer being mass produced...there may be someone here or there that can still make one in their garage, but again, it's a hobbyist thing.

Obsolete simply implies there is a newer and/or more efficient technology and has nothing to do with production of said product. Your point is invalid.

Because I despise you and want you to suffer. Now on to the next argument.

All you are doing is proving my point. Meaning they will not go away. Though I'm not surprised typewriters went away. I just thought they were being made last time I checked.
Yeah...

If you think we're proving your point, that means you missed ours.
The20
God Emperor Akhenaton
Sonic Offline

God Emperor Akhenaton
WWLink

Everything runs on landlines. Without landlines connecting it to the rest of the net the cell tower in your neighborhood would be completely useless.

Edit: i'm impressed, Windows Explorer can handle a folder with 1,000,000 files. I mean, it's crawling at a snails pace and working with it is pretty much impossible, but it didn't crash yet. Fascinating.

Working off an SSD or HDD?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces