Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
I'm so sorry Saru. You have my heartfelt sympathies.
Ok, all the positive emotions aside, can someone give me a short summary why there seem to be two competing versions of python around (2.7 and 3.x) and why additions i want to install (namely sciPy and Numpy) that require 3.2 won't accept the 3.3 i have installed? (I got around that by pretending my 3.3 install is a 3.2 install in the registry. Stupid extensions, didn't see THAT one coming! Let's see if this also works with 2.7 ...)

Edit: Probably not, got a syntax error. Guess i'll have to install the 2.7 anyways.
The20
Ok, all the positive emotions aside, can someone give me a short summary why there seem to be two competing versions of python around (2.7 and 3.x)
Because the language changed incompatibly. Enough that a lot of people consider them two different languages.
The20
and why additions i want to install (namely sciPy and Numpy) that require 3.2 won't accept the 3.3 i have installed?
There were a number of changes in the Unicode library, among other things. Changes to the standard library mean that parts of scipy and numpy are broken. The developers will need to fix those incompatibilities before it will actually work correctly.
The20
(I got around that by pretending my 3.3 install is a 3.2 install in the registry. Stupid extensions, didn't see THAT one coming! Let's see if this also works with 2.7 ...)
It won't. They will not work correctly with 3.3 until they're fixed.
The20
Edit: Probably not, got a syntax error. Guess i'll have to install the 2.7 anyways.
Gee, I wonder why. Oh, right, it's a different language.
psychic stalker
The20
Ok, all the positive emotions aside, can someone give me a short summary why there seem to be two competing versions of python around (2.7 and 3.x)
Because the language changed incompatibly. Enough that a lot of people consider them two different languages.
The20
and why additions i want to install (namely sciPy and Numpy) that require 3.2 won't accept the 3.3 i have installed?
There were a number of changes in the Unicode library, among other things. Changes to the standard library mean that parts of scipy and numpy are broken. The developers will need to fix those incompatibilities before it will actually work correctly.
The20
(I got around that by pretending my 3.3 install is a 3.2 install in the registry. Stupid extensions, didn't see THAT one coming! Let's see if this also works with 2.7 ...)
It won't. They will not work correctly with 3.3 until they're fixed.
The20
Gee, I wonder why. Oh, right, it's a different language.
Oh well, guess there's no point in keeping 3.3 then. All this stuff runs on 2.7 anyways ...
The20
Oh well, guess there's no point in keeping 3.3 then. All this stuff runs on 2.7 anyways ...
By the way, 2.x is deprecated, and the Python community is trying to kill it off.
psychic stalker
The20
By the way, 2.x is deprecated, and the Python community is trying to kill it off.
I need mathplotlib and that only runs on 2.7 and older versions as far as i can tell.
Almost done with the coolant plumbing on the MR2... These are exciting times! biggrin

AutumnWolfgirl's Husband

Friendly Phantom

psychic stalker
The20

So...I should stop with the books I'm running through that use 2.7 and start with the 3.x ones?

Liberal Nerd

So I can now legally marry people and can be referred to as Rev. Goodermote. You guys have as much fun with that as you want.

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
Rgoodermote
So I can now legally marry people and can be referred to as Rev. Goodermote. You guys have as much fun with that as you want.
Anything I'd have to say would wind up with me in serious trouble if I say it on Gaia.

Liberal Nerd

Sonic Offline
Rgoodermote
Anything I'd have to say would wind up with me in serious trouble if I say it on Gaia.

If it stops you from saying it on Gaia it's gotta be something hilarious.

Captcha: Identify theft

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
Rgoodermote
Sonic Offline
Rgoodermote

If it stops you from saying it on Gaia it's gotta be something hilarious.

Captcha: Identify theft
You know me too well.

Captcha: yes ma'am
For those of you that care about this sort of thing, I uploaded a few more pictures to my MR2 album (axles, cross member, and 93+ MR2 Turbo 'bigger' brakes installed). Reference the Photobucket link in my siggy. mrgreen
U-235
For those of you that care about this sort of thing, I uploaded a few more pictures to my MR2 album (axles, cross member, and 93+ MR2 Turbo 'bigger' brakes installed). Reference the Photobucket link in my siggy. mrgreen

wasn't it on 82% last week?
Joda01
U-235

wasn't it on 82% last week?

I updated it from 80% when I made my last post, I just didn't upload the pictures at that time.

Also, for those of you mathletes out there, if you have a solution to a second order differential equation, does saying it's "unbounded" simply mean it has no degenerate terms as your independent variable approaches infinity? I'm having a hard time confirming this, but I'm pretty sure that's just because I'm tired and googling wrong.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff