Welcome to Gaia! ::

psychic stalker

What's odd, though, is that wood-frame housing tends to last longer than steel-frame construction. smile

That's true, mostly because most contractors build steel homes incorrectly (read: cheaply). Steel construction is one of those things you absolutely cannot cut corners with.
U-235
psychic stalker

What's odd, though, is that wood-frame housing tends to last longer than steel-frame construction. smile

That's true, mostly because most contractors build steel homes incorrectly (read: cheaply). Steel construction is one of those things you absolutely cannot cut corners with.
Not my dad. That man can do no wrong. (No, really. You'll never meet a more competent and honest carpenter.) He builds houses to stand long past the sun going Nova.
psychic stalker
U-235
psychic stalker

Not my dad. That man can do no wrong. (No, really. You'll never meet a more competent and honest carpenter.) He builds houses to stand long past the sun going Nova.

That's pretty awesome. When my parents had their house built, they were running around the property every day with a digital camera, snapping pictures of s**t that was out of code.

I was also wondering how you knew so much about house structure and stuff. I've only recently learned a bit of that stuff because one of my jobs involves research into increasing the resilience of shear walls so they will be better able to withstand earthquakes, high winds, etc. We're applying the same techniques to see if we can build relatively cheap in situ storm shelters as well, without having to do a major reno. mrgreen
U-235
psychic stalker
U-235
psychic stalker

That's pretty awesome. When my parents had their house built, they were running around the property every day with a digital camera, snapping pictures of s**t that was out of code.

I was also wondering how you knew so much about house structure and stuff. I've only recently learned a bit of that stuff because one of my jobs involves research into increasing the resilience of shear walls so they will be better able to withstand earthquakes, high winds, etc. We're applying the same techniques to see if we can build relatively cheap in situ storm shelters as well, without having to do a major reno. mrgreen
That's awesome. A worthy project, indeed. smile

But yeah, dad's a carpenter and an amateur radio operator. I learned everything I know about carpentry, electronics and radio from him (with a few gaps filled in by extensive reading.) Honestly, it's fun to have a craftsman woodworker as a father. smile
Don't you love it when things that should work don't and you haven't got the slightest clue why?

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
The20
Don't you love it when things that should work don't and you haven't got the slightest clue why?
If it's a tangible object, I take it apart (as much as needed) at that point.

If it's anything related to code, I rage after the 3rd or 4th scan and/or typo fixes because "******** everything".

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
oh myyyy. Sister's Mac got jacked with some nice malware and I have to eat and be gone in less than 30 cya.

**dashes off leaving oatmeal and raisin cookies**
Just saw in the .NET documentation that the Array.Copy method i keep using is O(n). Which means it's not faster than a for loop. Great.
Why does this method even exist?!
The20
Just saw in the .NET documentation that the Array.Copy method i keep using is O(n). Which means it's not faster than a for loop. Great.
I don't know how you expect to be able to make copies faster than O(n).

And besides, the function exists so you con't have to write a for loop every time you need to make a copy. It's a convenience function for a common operation. It would be supremely idiotic for it not to exist.

It exists for exactly the same reason that C++ has std::copy and Python has Array copy and Ruby's Array.new() can copy.

And they're all O(n).

Sparkly Lunatic

The20

less code to write?
Lanackse-Kanvae
oh myyyy. Sister's Mac got jacked with some nice malware and I have to eat and be gone in less than 30 cya.

**dashes off leaving oatmeal and raisin cookies**
Lovely.
Give her this:
http://download.geo.drweb.com/pub/drweb/mac/Light/drweb-light-606-macosx.dmg

Dr Web, same guys who first found the flashback trojan. Free AV for mac.
Does "sudo " mean "super user do" or am i imagining things again?
The20

Quote:
The sudo ("su do", , though is also common, (think "pseudo" as in assuming a temporary identity, or "SUper-user DO" wink , as is) command is a program for some Unix and Unix-like computer operating systems that allows users to run programs with the security privileges of another user (normally the ..

A bit of reading material.

AutumnWolfgirl's Husband

Friendly Phantom

Does anyone know of a decent place to get unlocked GSM phones.

I have been browsing listings on ebay and google has shown me a few other places, but what I'm finding I'm not sure I should trust. Any suggestions?

(As a side note, I probably won't be able to purchase anything for at least a month or two, I'd just prefer to do the research before I buy)

Oh, I really like the Nexus, and at $350 it's not terribly expensive...the only thing I'm not liking is lack of expandable storage...
Disconsented
The20

Quote:
The sudo ("su do", , though is also common, (think "pseudo" as in assuming a temporary identity, or "SUper-user DO" wink , as is) command is a program for some Unix and Unix-like computer operating systems that allows users to run programs with the security privileges of another user (normally the ..

A bit of reading material.
"The Church of Google"? Seriously?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas