Welcome to Gaia! ::

nouveau sereph
Basically, I'm looking to replace my 2011 MBP's optical drive with an SSD
Ehh, I don't think you can do that. The optical drive is hooked up with what appears to be a surface-mount Hirose board-to-board connector. You're not going to be hooking an SSD up with that.

Remember that Apple goes out of their way to make it exceptionally difficult to modify their laptops.

Edit: Strike that. Looks like the ribbon connector goes to a standard SATA power/data combo port. See here. If you can find some way to mount an SSD drive in there without having it rattle around, you might pull it off. But I wouldn't do it, personally. And I don't know how the EFI firmware or the OS will react to having an SSD where the optical drive should be.
I never thought i'd say that but: I'm online. At home. In my room. Thanks to WLAN. Sometimes.

Man-Hungry Prophet

8,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Just had to enter captcha text, "check it" to generate some gibberish and copy & paste that into a blank area below the captcha to be able to post a reply. Double-u, tee, eff.
Ashimakase
Just had to enter captcha text, "check it" to generate some gibberish and copy & paste that into a blank area below the captcha to be able to post a reply. Double-u, tee, eff.
I had to do that, too, when Javascript was disabled.

Shameless Enabler

psychic stalker
nouveau sereph
Ehh, I don't think you can do that. The optical drive is hooked up with what appears to be a surface-mount Hirose board-to-board connector. You're not going to be hooking an SSD up with that.

Remember that Apple goes out of their way to make it exceptionally difficult to modify their laptops.

Edit: Strike that. Looks like the ribbon connector goes to a standard SATA power/data combo port. See here. If you can find some way to mount an SSD drive in there without having it rattle around, you might pull it off. But I wouldn't do it, personally. And I don't know how the EFI firmware or the OS will react to having an SSD where the optical drive should be.
I'd seen it done before, and thought maybe one of the regs had done it here (actually, I was almost positive they had - maybe Dave? can't remember). I thought someone might have a link to a good guide on doing it, is all.
nouveau sereph
psychic stalker
nouveau sereph

I'd seen it done before, and thought maybe one of the regs had done it here (actually, I was almost positive they had - maybe Dave? can't remember). I thought someone might have a link to a good guide on doing it, is all.
The iFixIt guide I linked is pretty much the canonical guide.

Once you unplug the combo drive, everything is right there... except for a way to hold the new drive in place.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
**pops in quickly and then vanishes leaving a bowl of strawberries and a pot of melted dark chocolate (the 70% kind)**

Dangerous Trader

Lanackse-Kanvae
**pops in quickly and then vanishes leaving a bowl of strawberries and a pot of melted dark chocolate (the 70% kind)**

Man I had some of that like 95% stuff, it was too much.

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
Ryuke Dragon
Lanackse-Kanvae

You had too much in your mouth at a time.
Ryuke Dragon
Lanackse-Kanvae

95% isn't enough. I need 100% dark chocolate.
psychic stalker
Ryuke Dragon
Lanackse-Kanvae

Would you like some cocaine with that?
Lanackse-Kanvae
ach, my one weakness!
*noms*
29582351c3
psychic stalker
Ryuke Dragon
Lanackse-Kanvae

This is brilliant! We use white chocolate to smuggle cocaine. Nobody will expect anything!

Man-Hungry Prophet

8,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
The20
29582351c3
psychic stalker
Ryuke Dragon
Lanackse-Kanvae

This is brilliant! We use white chocolate to smuggle cocaine. Nobody will expect anything!

Except now, everyone knows...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces