Welcome to Gaia! ::

The20

Gabriel Faust

But I know most of the people hear (minus Bento) have no emotions, only an emotional implant emulating fear at change and anticipation of shiny.
I could throw in some angst and maybe some depression if you like.

I can throw in a bucket of seething hatred (freshly squeezed, not from concentrate!). mrgreen
The20
29582351c3
The20
29582351c3
The20
@29582351c3
The following code throws an exception. Can you tell why? (I know why, and frankly i think it's absurd.)
http://pastebin.com/PTGrAZAP
Edit: moved code to pastebin.
I think l is for date conversions.
It's a suffix for date time conversion, see here.

But that's not the point. The point is there are two things fundamentally wrong with this:
First of all the compiler could parse the code for those problems and report them.
Second printf should not throw an exception because of such a trifle. It should report an error and try to parse the value that should be displayed at this point trough a default method or display a string indicating it can't, but to kill the entire program because of this* is ridiculous.

* Since printf doesn't require to be try-catch'ed this is quiet possible.
It's giving you exactly what is wrong in the stack trace. It's an unknown format conversion. Besides that, there is nothing stopping you from catching the exception if you want too. It is just an unchecked exception. Normally I would think someone would use an assertion that the type to be parsed is the correct type and if not to not do it and save an error log.

try{
long l = 0L;
System.out.printf("l = &#xld;", l)
}catch(UnknownFormatConversionException e){
System.err.println(e.getStackTrace())
}
System.out.println("Banana boat")
Even if i catch those errors (so far i caught whatever the compiler complained about being thrown and this isn't thrown according to the method declaration, so the compiler doesn't care, which means many people will never even notice it) it still kills printf (and, unless i catch every single line in a program, a whole lot of other stuff) because of an error that could be reported before the executables are even created.

In related news, Gaias parser doesn't like the combination percent-L. Doesn't seem to have a problem with percent-U, though. At least it doesn't crash the parser, imagine how the site would look if it did ...

Gabriel Faust
nouveau sereph
It's $720RRP in Australia, when I get it I'm putting up a sign at work for $500 o.n.o.
I'm so used to the obo abbreviation that I thought you did an emoticon.

But I know most of the people hear (minus Bento) have no emotions, only an emotional implant emulating fear at change and anticipation of shiny.
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/essential/exceptions/runtime.html I don't really have an opinion on the matter. That's the way it is. I don't know why they did it that way. It probably relates to that pre Java 1.5 lists had no way to know what type of objects were supposed to be inside them so lists could contain any type of object.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
U-235
The20

Gabriel Faust

I can throw in a bucket of seething hatred (freshly squeezed, not from concentrate!). mrgreen

Willing to contribute my ton of disgust to this wonderful mix.

**signals for a fleet of dumptrucks all filled to the brim to come forth**
HOw do you guys win things? last thing I won was a Dairy Queen sundae when I was four, and I lost the coupon

Shameless Enabler

@Gabriel: I have emotions, I just don't display them so strongly on Gaia anymore. lol Except rage, I've been known to lose my s**t at people my internal retardometer has flagged as retarded.

@Bento: Entering competitions? You gotta be in it to win it.

@bulshit Amazon licensing restrictions: Why the ******** do you have the rights to neuromancer in Australia, book one of my favourite series, but then you turn around and tell me c**t Zero, book two, is ********? Couldn't you have bought those licenses in a bloody package deal or something? ******** you.

Dangerous Trader

Bento the spazcat
HOw do you guys win things? last thing I won was a Dairy Queen sundae when I was four, and I lost the coupon

When it's a contest of skill, by just being better than everyone else.
When it's a contest of luck, by just being luckier than everyone else.
When it's a contest of originality, by just being more original than everyone else.
Delineate the objectives of the contest, max overdrive if possible.

What kind of a question is this, no human has gone through life without some competition.

Shameless Enabler

nouveau sereph
@bulshit Amazon licensing restrictions: Why the ******** do you have the rights to neuromancer in Australia, book one of my favourite series, but then you turn around and tell me c**t Zero, book two, is ********? Couldn't you have bought those licenses in a bloody package deal or something? ******** you.
Hold on, guys, stop everything. The above quoted post was about book 2 in the sprawl trilogy. It's a great book, and I have a legitimate urge to read it, and even pay currency for the privilege, but I can only get it in dead tree format. On a whim, I checked out book 3 (mona lisa overdrive) to see if it was available for kindle, AND IT'S SO GODDAMN AVAILBLE IT ANGERS ME. Y u no let me buy book 2 Amazon? ARGH.

Edit: Not even the friendly lady on live chat was able to unblock it from australia. The publisher has decided to make book 2 not available. I didn't WANT to obtain it shadily to read it, but Apple certainly doesn't have it, B&N's Nook app is unvailable for iOS in Australia entirely, and kobo won't offer it to Australia either. It's like whoever holds the publishing reins for this trilogy is just an a*****e. "******** those Australians, book two is too good for them."
Ryuke Dragon
Bento the spazcat

When it's a contest of originality, by just being more original than everyone else.

What kind of a question is this, no human has gone through life without some competition.

Or you can cheat. There's always that option. pirate

Dangerous Trader

U-235
Ryuke Dragon
Bento the spazcat

Or you can cheat. There's always that option. pirate

"Originality", nothing quite like an original solution.

User Image

nouveau sereph
Edit: Not even the friendly lady on live chat was able to unblock it from australia
There seems to be a lot of things that aren't available in upsidedownland, I'm always seeing steam trades for games that aren't available to purchase.

Shameless Enabler

Ryuke Dragon
nouveau sereph
Edit: Not even the friendly lady on live chat was able to unblock it from australia
There seems to be a lot of things that aren't available in upsidedownland, I'm always seeing steam trades for games that aren't available to purchase.
It's not that it's unavailable - I could buy it from a bookstore, or even from Amazon as a paperback - it's that, of William Gibson's entire catalogue (I checked) they haven't given digital publishing rights to the second book in a ******** trilogy. It boggles the mind - every other store that sells ebooks to Australia has the same pattern!
nouveau sereph
Ryuke Dragon
nouveau sereph
It's not that it's unavailable - I could buy it from a bookstore, or even from Amazon as a paperback - it's that, of William Gibson's entire catalogue (I checked) they haven't given digital publishing rights to the second book in a ******** trilogy. It boggles the mind - every other store that sells ebooks to Australia has the same pattern!
I was waiting for someone to comment on the cosmic irony of the situation but no one has.

Can't copy of a book about a dystopic future because of similar current legal matters. badumpch
29582351c3
nouveau sereph
Ryuke Dragon
nouveau sereph
I was waiting for someone to comment on the cosmic irony of the situation but no one has.

Can't copy of a book about a dystopic future because of similar current legal matters. badumpch
User Image

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Yesterday was rough (migraines are no fun and the next person to say that "it's just a headache" will have a random body part removed) but at least I got a compliment from an old dear I was randomly yakking to whilst waiting for the train home.
Lanackse-Kanvae
Yesterday was rough (migraines are no fun and the next person to say that "it's just a headache" will have a random body part removed) but at least I got a compliment from an old dear I was randomly yakking to whilst waiting for the train home.

*offers hugs and biscuit to help with "headache"*
As seen on the dev notices:
We are officially dropping support for Internet Explorer 7, which was released in the year 1906.

Lolz.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces