Welcome to Gaia! ::

Adorable Champion

31,115 Points
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Professional Decorator 250
  • Waffles! 25
The20
Say, did any of you hear that anonymous wants to shut down the Internet on the 31st March?
Their announcement on pastebin: http://pastebin.com/NKbnh8q8

Edit: summary: they want to DDoS the DNS root servers by means of "vulnerable DNS Servers". Details see link.

How effective do you think this will be? Personally i don't think it'll be more than a nuisance for the most part.

That just sounds like it'd be a hassle for everyone.

Original Gaian

Lanackse-Kanvae
I just watched a video and there are 13 root DNS servers in the world. During the video we had a very quick look in one of the centres. They're well secured and I doubt Anonymous is going to get one let alone all 13 of them.

I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I saw those racks. emotion_jawdrop

I can't provide a link because access is limited to those on the course.
DNS nodes get clogs and issues just like the rest of the vertebrae down the spine of the internet, its just that they get pulled back up much quicker.
29582351c3
EDIT: What is a good way to become a recursion master?
By writing recursive versions of common algorithms.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Gabriel Faust
Lanackse-Kanvae
I just watched a video and there are 13 root DNS servers in the world. During the video we had a very quick look in one of the centres. They're well secured and I doubt Anonymous is going to get one let alone all 13 of them.

I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I saw those racks. emotion_jawdrop

I can't provide a link because access is limited to those on the course.
DNS nodes get clogs and issues just like the rest of the vertebrae down the spine of the internet, its just that they get pulled back up much quicker.

Guess we'll have to wait and see if Anonymous manages to do it. Apart from the root DNS servers, the entire internet is a giant, international mesh network. Anyone who's done any element of networking will know that mesh networks are the most resilient.

I also highly doubt that non-English sysadmins will have their passwords in English. Even if they translate their character set to the English alphabet, it will still be in their native tongue. I'm going to confess that I have no idea if they even do rainbow tables in other languages.

Sparkly Lunatic

Lanackse-Kanvae

I also highly doubt that non-English sysadmins will have their passwords in English. Even if they translate their character set to the English alphabet, it will still be in their native tongue. I'm going to confess that I have no idea if they even do rainbow tables in other languages.

A good rainbow table contains every possible combination of letters up to some length, so it being an english word really doesn't matter.
User Image

Are you people ******** serious? That is advertising? REALLY? Does this forum actively try to drive people away? ******** this s**t. I can do without.
trezoid
Lanackse-Kanvae

A good rainbow table contains every possible combination of letters up to some length, so it being an english word really doesn't matter.
Combination of bits.
29582351c3
User Image

Are you people ******** serious? That is advertising? REALLY? Does this forum actively try to drive people away? ******** this s**t. I can do without.
Well I guess it would be time for me to reapply for modship so maybe we will have somebody who is from C&T as a mod rather than some outsider.
29582351c3
User Image

Wow. We must have some p***k running around reporting for no good goddamn reason.

That or someone hates you.

Dangerous Trader

psychic stalker
29582351c3
User Image

Wow. We must have some p***k running around reporting for no good goddamn reason.

I never liked the anonymous warn.
Ryuke Dragon
psychic stalker
29582351c3
User Image

It's a bit cowardly.

Dangerous Trader

psychic stalker
Ryuke Dragon

It's a bit cowardly.
I don't remember ever using it, too much ego. I was the guy who looked into reports, I was the guy who knew the rules, I was the guy who did the work to fix problems, and that meant I was the guy with the stick and you were going to see my name on your PMs because I was proud of the work I did to get it to that point.
psychic stalker
It's a bit cowardly.
I second this. If there was more transparency, a user could ASK the mod/admin for more info on the rule broken. I understand the hiding in the cases of flaming buttpain from some users though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff