4,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • First step to fame 200
I have an acer aspire with a motherboard with specs of::

Manufacturer Acer
Model WG43M (CPU 1)
Chipset Vendor Intel

I think its a BTX maybe Micro BTX motherboard, are there any cases that are out for those motherboards?

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
If it really is BTX then your best bet is ebay. Could not find BTX cases on ebuyer or newegg.

A picture of the motherboard would help a great deal as it may be something similar since it looks like Intel have discontinued supporting the BTX standard.
I thought ATX (And its variants such as mATX) was the only standard still alive today... What's BTX?

AutumnWolfgirl's Husband

Friendly Phantom

Aven Donn
I thought ATX (And its variants such as mATX) was the only standard still alive today... What's BTX?

BTX was a motherboard standard developed by Intel(I think...) a few years ago. The theory was improving airflow by rearranging a few things, but it wasn't much of a gain and it never really took off.
Saruwatari Kooji
Aven Donn

BTX was a motherboard standard developed by Intel(I think...) a few years ago. The theory was improving airflow by rearranging a few things, but it wasn't much of a gain and it never really took off.

Yep there is one case I have seen but its for micro, so you a pretty much s**t outa luck.
Saruwatari Kooji
Aven Donn

I thought the whole "Motherboard arrangement increases airflow" thing was solidly debunked, considering how no serious case comes with the specified ATX reverse S shaped airflow and the whole PSU as exhaust fan...

Greedy Capitalist

4,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • First step to fame 200
the motherboard is mounted on the (if case is face forward) its on the left side of the case, most motherboards are on the right

Sparkly Lunatic

Aven Donn
Saruwatari Kooji
Aven Donn

I thought the whole "Motherboard arrangement increases airflow" thing was solidly debunked, considering how no serious case comes with the specified ATX reverse S shaped airflow and the whole PSU as exhaust fan...

It's not that it doesn't work (it absolutely can help, and is why alienware (and a few other high-end boutique manufacturers) don't use standard board layouts), but most manufacturers will build for the most commonly used hardware, which makes it more commonly used, and the cycle continues.

So, if someone was to jump to a new standard they'd have to convince case manufacturers to jump as well, and they're not going to do the necessary changes to accommodate that if they're only going to sell a small number of cases (and certainly not enough to cover the changes).
trezoid
Aven Donn
Saruwatari Kooji
Aven Donn

It's not that it doesn't work (it absolutely can help, and is why alienware (and a few other high-end boutique manufacturers) don't use standard board layouts), but most manufacturers will build for the most commonly used hardware, which makes it more commonly used, and the cycle continues.

So, if someone was to jump to a new standard they'd have to convince case manufacturers to jump as well, and they're not going to do the necessary changes to accommodate that if they're only going to sell a small number of cases (and certainly not enough to cover the changes).

Well the jump from tons of different holes to USB has been rather smooth and pretty much complete. Why? It was a good jump that had a lot of benefit. I think any such jump would go well. Simply because manufacturers would be convinced. ESPECIALLY if it's cheaper to use the new standard.

Why fix what isn't broken? ATX is perfectly fine.

AutumnWolfgirl's Husband

Friendly Phantom

Aven Donn
Why fix what isn't broken? ATX is perfectly fine.

I believe the concern stemmed from would be ATX work well enough for advancements in computing. While it does work perfectly fine, they were trying to make cooling more efficient, which is something that you will always see in computing and electronics, efficiency. Despite how fast our machines get, we still strive to make them more efficient to squeeze every last bit out of them that we can.

Greedy Capitalist

4,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • First step to fame 200
so basically, I have to get a new MOBO yay

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers