X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
For me it was:
1. Random Crash
2. BSOD
3. thats it
Hi! You must be new at this!

um no... im just very careful is all.

BSOD are 90% of the time driver related

10% of the time you put something in the PC it did not like related.

Over heating would just shut-down the PC

and dual-quad core makes no sense unless your rocking with a server (or a really odd PC) what is unlikely.

and this is the first time I have ever seen someone use the wattage like that.
Comrade Texada Wolf
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
psychic stalker
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
For me it was:
1. Random Crash
2. BSOD
3. thats it

and dual-quad core makes no sense unless your rocking with a server (or a really odd PC) what is unlikely.

I've gotten a BSOD twice, that was when I inserted the wrong speed of RAM, and only cuz the label on the sticks said 1600MHz but the PC read 1333 (it was really 1600). And Random crash is because I used to run a quad(160W) on a 95W board. It would crash very little, 1-2 times a month. Now, I haven't had anything like that happen in 2-3 months when I got my new build.
LiquidGlitch
Comrade Texada Wolf
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
psychic stalker
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
For me it was:
1. Random Crash
2. BSOD
3. thats it

I've gotten a BSOD twice, that was when I inserted the wrong speed of RAM, and only cuz the label on the sticks said 1600MHz but the PC read 1333 (it was really 1600). And Random crash is because I used to run a quad(160W) on a 95W board. It would crash very little, 1-2 times a month. Now, I haven't had anything like that happen in 2-3 months when I got my new build.
Your RAM speeds will have little to nothing to do with your system crashing as your motherboard can only operate so fast, therefore anything operating on your Mobo will be clocked down to suit its speeds. Your 1600MHz RAM would have been clocked down harmlessly to the 1333MHz of your motherboard. This will not cause the treacherous BSOD. The more likely cause of the BSOD, if RAM is the culprit, would be that you're mixing incompatible RAM sticks and expecting them to work properly. This actually causes a lot of waste and improper (incompatible) memory usage which, in turn, will cause your system to crash as well as corrupted files.

Neither the wattage or the amount of cores will affect whether or not your system blue screens either. If your CPU is incompatible with your motherboard, your system will not boot up at all.

Quad-dual core does not make sense. Are you referring to octo-core or six-core?

I'm glad your system is now running properly, but I assure you that the problem was not what you think it was.
l_Shamrock_l
LiquidGlitch
Comrade Texada Wolf
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
psychic stalker
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
For me it was:
1. Random Crash
2. BSOD
3. thats it

Your RAM speeds will have little to nothing to do with your system crashing as your motherboard can only operate so fast, therefore anything operating on your Mobo will be clocked down to suit its speeds. Your 1600MHz RAM would have been clocked down harmlessly to the 1333MHz of your motherboard. This will not cause the treacherous BSOD. The more likely cause of the BSOD, if RAM is the culprit, would be that you're mixing incompatible RAM sticks and expecting them to work properly. This actually causes a lot of waste and improper (incompatible) memory usage which, in turn, will cause your system to crash as well as corrupted files.

Neither the wattage or the amount of cores will affect whether or not your system blue screens either. If your CPU is incompatible with your motherboard, your system will not boot up at all.

I'm glad your system is now running properly, but I assure you that the problem was not what you think it was.

Sorry but, I need to correct you. I unlocked TO a quad FROM a dual core. Dual into quad. As for the mobo downclocking my speeds, it did not (it IS a value board). It had similar timings, and the only time I would get a BSOD was when the 1333 and 1600 were together. 4x2 kingston hyperx blu. Dual channel. The 1333 would run fine by itself, as would the 1600, together, BSOD was a result. Also, did MemOK, and they both passed, no errors.
LiquidGlitch
l_Shamrock_l
LiquidGlitch
Comrade Texada Wolf
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X

Sorry but, I need to correct you. I unlocked TO a quad FROM a dual core. Dual into quad. As for the mobo downclocking my speeds, it did not (it IS a value board). It had similar timings, and the only time I would get a BSOD was when the 1333 and 1600 were together. 4x2 kingston hyperx blu. Dual channel. The 1333 would run fine by itself, as would the 1600, together, BSOD was a result. Also, did MemOK, and they both passed, no errors.
Everybody's wrong but you. Got it.
l_Shamrock_l
LiquidGlitch
l_Shamrock_l
LiquidGlitch
Comrade Texada Wolf
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X

Everybody's wrong but you. Got it.

My my, quick to jump to generalizations, eh? Good job, just telling you my experiences

7,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
psychic stalker
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
For me it was:
1. Random Crash
2. BSOD
3. thats it

Thanks biggrin
My only major problem right now is that my AMD Bulldozer CPU causes a system restart or BSOD when I launch a Steam game using the newer DRM system. My only fix for this right now is launching a custom command prompt file called OROCHI-CEG which fixes the problem as long as I start it up every time I turn on my PC. So I have it sit in my startup folder and all of my Steam games work fine now thanks to that.

My other problems are minor:

-Java crashes for no reason.
-The buttons on my MX518 do not work sometimes and I have to mess around with the Logitech settings or restart the game for it to work.
-Dropped Wi-Fi connection.
-That new game I bought on Steam crashes and I have to find a fix for it on the Steam forums.

Shameless Enabler

The problem I encounter most out of all of the laptops my friends want me to look at is overheating. I take it for granted with my MBP, but cheap Windows laptops really have an awful, awful record for proper ventilation. I've seen machines with top tier (mobile) video cards and maybe six exhaust slits total, which would shut down without fail half an hour into any significant rendering. It's ridiculous that this is even an issue, surely laptop ventilation is something the PC industry should've mastered by now, even on lower end models.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
nouveau sereph
{....}but cheap Windows laptops really have an awful, awful record for proper ventilation. I've seen machines with top tier (mobile) video cards and maybe six exhaust slits total, which would shut down without fail half an hour into any significant rendering. It's ridiculous that this is even an issue, surely laptop ventilation is something the PC industry should've mastered by now, even on lower end models.

This is why the laptop industry really needs to get a grip on itself if it really wants to reach technological maturity. If your company gets known for producing pieces of s**t that constantly overheat, you're committing business suicide.

Overheating laptops is only second to my biggest hate in computer design. Proprietary parts. Yes, that s**t is still alive and kicking. Seen it in an HP desktop I had in 2005 and in 2011 in a Toshiba laptop. This generally makes me not recommend their computing products because I do not like being locked into a narrow and more expensive options for replacing s**t when s**t goes wrong.

I'm also pretty sure that if I pushed hard enough, I could get such companies busted under anti competition laws that exist in the EU.
LiquidGlitch

Well that is why it was crashing then. Those Phenoms were locked for a reason. Specifically because they had bad cores. Or bad cache. They were defective in some manner. In order for AMD to still make a profit on them, they would lock the cores to prevent their use and sell them as a reduced SKU. As manufacturing processes improve and mature, they continue to lock cores even when they work in order to meet the demand of that cheaper SKU. But you're taking a huge risk in unlocking those cores because what you unlock may actually be defective. By the sound of it I'm pretty positive you took no steps to ascertain the stability of those cores.

Anywho, back to the thread:

Top 5 Complaints:

Slow.
It doesn't turn on. (mostly boot problems, sometimes POST)
I don't know my password (most of these are clueless Mac users)
I think I have a virus. (strangely they're only right 50% of the time, maybe)
My internet doesn't work.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces