Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is the 256MB PCI express x16 (DVI/GA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X850 XT PE any good? Like on a scale of 1-10
Is it any good? It's currently the most powerful video card in existance, AFAIK (excluding workstation cards and SLI). o_o

It's overkill to get it, though, and very expensive. I think the current powerful card to get with the best price to performance ratio is ATi's Radeon x800 XL. Just make sure that your motherboard supports PCI-Express and not just AGP if you plan on getting it. smile (If x800 XLs do now come in AGP, you will still have to make sure you get the right card for your motherboard.)

Also, please do not bump after an hour. It's not needed.
Peng
Is it any good? It's currently the most powerful video card in existance, AFAIK (excluding workstation cards and SLI). o_o

It's overkill to get it, though, and very expensive. I think the current powerful card to get with the best price to performance ratio is ATi's Radeon x800 XL. Just make sure that your motherboard supports PCI-Express and not just AGP if you plan on getting it. smile (If x800 XLs do now come in AGP, you will still have to make sure you get the right card for your motherboard.)

Also, please do not bump after an hour. It's not needed.

When it comes to video cards, there isn't really any such thing as overkill, sure it's expensive, but it would last him longer than an X800XL, so he would have to upgrade less, thus saving him money.

I have the X850XT and it's a really nice card, well worth getting if you can afford it, but it needs a good system to get the most of of it, so if he doesn't have at least an A64 3200+ or higher or a P4 of 3.4GHz or higher, then he won't get the full use of the card and would probably be better off with the X800XL
so spending an extra $75-100 (15-20%) getting a card that will preform 10% better, and still having to upgrade in two generations time is saving money?

Wow, i'm going to ignore any semblance of Price/preformance ratio and just buy the fastest card i can and i'll be saving money.

saving money for me, is buying the fastest NZ$200 videocard, and replacing every two years, to get better savings, you'll have to keep your X850 for nearly 10 years, and i bet i'll have a faster card before 4 years is up
Alelissa
so spending an extra $75-100 (15-20%) getting a card that will preform 10% better, and still having to upgrade in two generations time is saving money?

Wow, i'm going to ignore any semblance of Price/preformance ratio and just buy the fastest card i can and i'll be saving money.

saving money for me, is buying the fastest NZ$200 videocard, and replacing every two years, to get better savings, you'll have to keep your X850 for nearly 10 years, and i bet i'll have a faster card before 4 years is up

$75-100 isn't that much money for 10% performance, though it's usually higher.

Besides I upgrade every generation and sell off my old card when it's still worth a good amount, so it's only costing me around $200 or less anyway and I get to keep with the fastest cards available.
lol, i just wanted to know because thats the compy my dad want to get for me, instead of buiding my own with a Grapix card, a Geforce 6600GT, the whole compy costing 600. My dad says get a Dell, I tell him, its over priced and he says, well, take a look.

I had no idea he wanted to spend about 4k.

He shows me the Dimension XPS Gen4.

2GB DDR2 ram.

Pentim 4 HT Extreame (Normally, im against the P4HT, and instead would wan tto go athalon 64, but this version is the better version, so I dont mind)

19 friggin intch flat screen.

I dont know how we'll aford it, maybe my great uncle can help us out, but thats what he wants for me to take to college.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff