Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Explorer

7,500 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
Okay, here's the short version of my dilemma: I should be getting a new tower for my computer to replace my current one in the coming months, but i will also need to have a computer to let the family use. so here are my options from what i can think of...

1: as well as an adapter so the old desktop computer can pick up my wifi from downstairs (I dont know what it's called exactly) (And possibly have to buy a new monitor as well)

2: Buy a netbook (Or other cheap laptop) So that they can use it for email and other basic things using the house WiFi.

3: Rent another modem from my ISP so they they can just have their internet upstairs (I dont think that you can go straight from cable to computer without a modem...) (And possibly buy a new monitor as well

Okay, so more details for those interested... I plan on buying a new tower which should have a keyboard and mouse included. i currently have a monitor with my old tower that i COULD use, but my family wants to move this old computer upstairs so that they can use it when they need to...

I DO have a TV nearby with a monitor input, but i'm not entirely sure if the room setup will be right with it... so i may need another monitor for me or them... I glanced at Best Buy and they seem to have some on sale for as low as $76 for an 18in, which is probably more than they'll need... they literally check their mail, google some things, and thats about it...

however if we DO use our old computer and move it upstairs, we'll either need an adapter of some kind to make it wifi ready, Or rent another Modem from our ISP (I'm sure they would charge us for it somehow... but i'm not entirely sure...) That may be something i'll have to research more...

But i had another thought: they only use the computer to check their mail and pay bills, which a netbook or cheap laptop could do easily... i check bestbuy for that as well, and they're about $200 for the least expensive one... and it would connect to our WiFi and all would be well...

So, what do you think? is there an option that sounds better than the others? Is there an option that i'm not thinking of? Let me know what you think...
Starfox64x
however if we DO use our old computer and move it upstairs, we'll either need an adapter of some kind to make it wifi ready, Or rent another Modem from our ISP (I'm sure they would charge us for it somehow... but i'm not entirely sure...) That may be something i'll have to research more...
Getting another modem won't solve your problem (both because you'd have to pay for a second line of service or configure the router as, essentially, a wireless bridge, which it probably won't support anyway).

Either get a wireless adapter or a wireless bridge. With a wireless bridge, you don't have to mess with drivers or anything. Just plug it in, configure it, and hook up an ethernet cable.
Starfox64x
But i had another thought: they only use the computer to check their mail and pay bills, which a netbook or cheap laptop could do easily... i check bestbuy for that as well, and they're about $200 for the least expensive one... and it would connect to our WiFi and all would be well...
This is also fine.
Starfox64x
So, what do you think? is there an option that sounds better than the others? Is there an option that i'm not thinking of? Let me know what you think...
You could make them use it downstairs, or you could run ethernet through the wall/floor straight to the room where it would be used.

Devoted Explorer

7,500 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
psychic stalker
Starfox64x
Getting another modem won't solve your problem (both because you'd have to pay for a second line of service or configure the router as, essentially, a wireless bridge, which it probably won't support anyway).

Either get a wireless adapter or a wireless bridge. With a wireless bridge, you don't have to mess with drivers or anything. Just plug it in, configure it, and hook up an ethernet cable.
Starfox64x
This is also fine.
Starfox64x
You could make them use it downstairs, or you could run ethernet through the wall/floor straight to the room where it would be used.

Really? There's no way to use another cable outlet upstairs without doing that instead?

I'll have to look up the wireless adapter and the bridge...

as for the netbook, i'm wanting to avoid spending MORE money considering the computer i want is $800, i just thought there might be a $100 cheap-o way for them to have a keyboard, screen, and wireless access to their email...

As for keeping them both downstairs, i considered this, and i may end up doing that...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff