Welcome to Gaia! ::

I was recently awoken to this matter, and quite frankly, it's a load of s**t.
http://www.againsttcpa.com/what-is-tcpa.html
Aeon Lorus
I was recently awoken to this matter, and quite frankly, it's a load of s**t.
http://www.againsttcpa.com/what-is-tcpa.html

Been around for years...

If it ever comes out it will be hacked or people just simply wont buy stuff with that technology in it....
Most likely a crock of crap. To enforce something like this would be outrageously expensive and most people would more than likely tell the government to forget passing the bill. It would completely undermine small hardware and software companies, and therefore would create vast amounts of Anti-Trust lawsuit cases (and since Apple isn't mentioned in the doc, and most likely they don't want to be involved, their sales would more than likely skyrocket and completely kill MS)
This is a very serious threat, and it is not something you can just hack away. Nor would you be able to just 'not use' the technology. It would be illegal to buy or sell non-TCPA computers. Apple would have to implement TCPA too if this bill is passed. EVERYONE would, or they would no longer be able to exist.

No, it wouldn't be particularly expensive. And the entire point of that site is to inform people so they can tell the government to forget about this bill. You should contact your Senator and Representatives and tell them to say NO to TCPA.
This is a very stilted look at trusted computing. A lot of people focus on the DRM end of trusted computing. Yes, this is an issue if you're a pirate (garrr!). However, in terms of preventing BIOS hijacking, and providing strong authentication for legitimate software, trusted computing has a lot to offer.

How would you like it if cryptography could protect you from 99% of viruses, worms, and trojans? That's part of the goal of trusted computing too.
Even if it will protect you from viruses, spyware, etc. It will put down alot of small buisnesses. It will also piss off alot of hobbist programmers. How would you feel if you spent weeks writing a small game, or a application to find out you cant run it because your not rich.

Im sure the music companies are big supporters of this too, bearshare, ares, limewire, all gone.

Think of the open source world. No more free software. The price of your computer games would go way up because of the companies loss.

I dont think the law is going to get far.
Brandon so far as I've seen overall "harder" securaty is not a solution it only makes it harder to solve when everything dose goto s**t. becasue so much power has been displaced off the user to the system that there is all too often nothing you can do.

Becasue you can bet that it will be hacked and pepole will devise methods of cracking MS and its s**t whtich will allow it to be forced into the trusted part of the system.. and I want a chance to defend myself with applications that those virus creators won't expect. Your just lettling yourself become a sitting duck if all the "trusted" Antivirus applications are written down on a peice of paper for anyone to see.

I've only ever experinced one case of BIOS hijacking... and even when it screws up you can simply reset the CMOS to restore fully functionallity. I'm a firm believer of

user > system;
System securaty == unintrusitve;
It's not just MS you guys, its more than that. Major contenders are stepping up to the plate and joining the team. It will make the world of computing a Closed-Source world. It means no freedom whatsoever, it means, if you don't have the special "watermark" on your music, files or whatever, kiss them goodbye. However, this would require your computer to be hooked to the internet all of the time. This might force users to hacked computers, use underground connections. It may so much as lead to no freedom on the internet.
In fact, the TCPA Fritz Chip will be intergrated within the BIOS, and you know what that means. Forget using anything but "Trusted" applications:
http://www.againsttcpa.com/tcpa-hardware.html
Darkphantom
Brandon so far as I've seen overall "harder" securaty is not a solution it only makes it harder to solve when everything dose goto s**t. becasue so much power has been displaced off the user to the system that there is all too often nothing you can do.

Except that I'm not sure why you can't trust a hardware implementation of MD5. The function of TC is to offload common validation techniques into tamper-resistant hardware. In and off itself, this is not all that bad of an idea.

Quote:

Becasue you can bet that it will be hacked and pepole will devise methods of cracking MS and its s**t whtich will allow it to be forced into the trusted part of the system.. and I want a chance to defend myself with applications that those virus creators won't expect. Your just lettling yourself become a sitting duck if all the "trusted" Antivirus applications are written down on a peice of paper for anyone to see.

Cracking systems is getting harder with things like NX. And the concept of TC is that applications will have something like an SSL certificate which includes a hash that indicates the application is, indeed, what it claims it is.

Quote:

I've only ever experinced one case of BIOS hijacking... and even when it screws up you can simply reset the CMOS to restore fully functionallity. I'm a firm believer of

user > system;
System securaty == unintrusitve;

If the user can circumvent the system, then security has failed. And it's well known that security is a trade-off between functionality and safety. The trick is to put security measures in place that are effective and minimally intrusive. Hardware-computed checksums based on an embedded digital certificate that throws an alert when the file doesn't match the signature sounds like a good bet to me.
Aeon Lorus
In fact, the TCPA Fritz Chip will be intergrated within the BIOS, and you know what that means. Forget using anything but "Trusted" applications:
http://www.againsttcpa.com/tcpa-hardware.html

Hmm since I program I've always wanted to look into the legality of creating software that will bomb your system if you stole my software (of course just kinda locks the b***h so you can call up and explain why you stole my software) hmm....

But yeah if it's built in, easily I won't upgrade with BIOS that have that...
BPrice
This is a very stilted look at trusted computing. A lot of people focus on the DRM end of trusted computing. Yes, this is an issue if you're a pirate (garrr!). However, in terms of preventing BIOS hijacking, and providing strong authentication for legitimate software, trusted computing has a lot to offer.

How would you like it if cryptography could protect you from 99% of viruses, worms, and trojans? That's part of the goal of trusted computing too.

if you are willing to trade your freedom for security you deserve neither.
BPrice

I already block 100% of viruses worms and trojans so why would I want to downgrade?
Strange_Will
BPrice

I already block 100% of viruses worms and trojans so why would I want to downgrade?

Nothing man made is perfect. There's still holes in your protection, to the freshest stuff out there.
Manhattan Project
Strange_Will
BPrice

Nothing man made is perfect. There's still holes in your protection, to the freshest stuff out there.
Anti-Vir, I've been virus free since I've gotten it...
Yes it something came out today I could get it, in a couple days I pick up a patch for it...

I never go to the risk-kay areas that would have these newly developed viruses...

As I've said, no virus gets to me so far...

I've been totally virus free for months nothings gotten through at all =\ maybe one day something will get through but so far I've had 100% blockage...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff