Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've been working as a Tech in a small buisness in my town for a few months, and we clear this folder as part of our tuneup.

It's only on Windows XP/NT Systems, and I find it the funnest thing next to people on fire. No, really, it's really a gut buster.

This is the folder that stores all Windows restore points. You have to Enable hidden files, and make yourself able to see hidden system files to be able to see the folder.

Now, even when you can see the folder, you cannot open it, and you cannot see how big it is. Usually around the 4-6GB Range. (It's a mad space eater.)

So, now Windows has this folder, that it can put files in, that you cannot see, touch, and most users never know of it's existance.

The real kicker, is that Viruses can access it also. So, now most Virus Checkers will pass over this folder (not all, but most. I know AVG passes over this folder, but doesnt always get the Viruses in there, or sometimes not able to delete them.)

So, there is this unknown, unaccessable chunk on your hard drive for Viruses to hide...I think Microsoft made another Bobo..but what's new.

biggrin Isint it just loverly how there's this random folder, hiding in your computer, taking up space, and housing Viruses...doesnt it make you feel safe? ^^; Most people wonder where those horrible Worms hide..and how they excape you...well, there you go.

xd Yes, I know, this didn't really have much point, but a few people might learn something, and I'm really bored.

Any questions about this, or way's to access it, if you don't know..I'm willing to tell.
But, if most users found "Hey. This folder has so much space!" *clickdelete*

A week later when their computer hoses, they can't restore. They go all a**l on MS tech support.
DopplerZero
But, if most users found "Hey. This folder has so much space!" *clickdelete*

A week later when their computer hoses, they can't restore. They go all a**l on MS tech support.

Haha yeah...but most people that use the restore feature get f***ed by it anyways. Well, at least the ones that think that it will make Viruses go away.
I hate that stupid folder that stores restore points. The sad thing with my computer is that Even if i try to restore my system back, it dont work.

And since its protected from ever being touched, You cant do crap with viruses in them. Thank god for ME
And this is why the removal instructions for most viruses, have a line, that states: "Turn off System Restore." 3nodding
Shoroo_Lupin
And this is why the removal instructions for most viruses, have a line, that states: "Turn off System Restore." 3nodding

True, Turning Off System Restore, and completely disabling it will flush the entire System Volume Information folder on all drives other than possibly some extremely essential NTFS information. Thus, if there are any viruses or space issues, it instantly solves it.

System Restore can cause more harm than good. I only recommend it to people who are not computer literate. Otherwise, just learn to back up all your information on a regular basis. And I think that was the point behind it from the get-go by MS, as its not meant to solve every problem, but at least most stupid mistakes.
The viruses there are beninge unless system restore is triggered. they barely count as viruses as they cannot replicate in that state...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff