Welcome to Gaia! ::

Post a programming (Theory, practice, language specific, all is good)/technology book you recommend, and why you recommend it.

Preferred format:
Title: [title]
Authors: (optional)[authors]
ISBN: (optional) eg: 978-0-596-52983-3 <-- Can be found on amazon page.
Amazon: [link]
Publisher: (optional) [link]
Reasons: [explanation]

The list so far:
Code Craft - The Practive of Writing Excellent Code
Land of Lisp
The Elements of Computing Systems
Code complete
OpenGL SuperBible, 5th Edition
Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
AntiPatterns: Refactoring Software, Architectures, and Projects in Crisis
Object-Oriented Software Construction
Seven Languages in Seven Weeks: A Pragmatic Guide to Learning Programming Languages
The Art of Software Testing, Second Edition
Coders at Work: Reflections on the Craft of Programming
Art of Computer Programming
JȧvaScript: The Good Parts
Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid
Practical File System Design (With the Be File System)
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
The Pragmatic Programmer
GNU Make
Mastering CMake
The Little Schemer
HTML5 for Web Designers
CSS3 for Web Designers
Art of Debugging
Hacking: The Art of Exploitation (2nd Edition)
Manga Guide to Databases
PGP & GPG
Pragmatic Version Control Using Git
Programming Erlang: Software for a Concurrent World
Learning the vi and Vim Editors
Cryptonomicon
Sed & Awk 2nd Edition
C Programming Language (2nd Edition)
The Annotated Turing: A Guided Tour Through Alan Turing's Historic Paper on Computability and the Turing Machine
Just Java(TM) 2 (6th Edition)
JUnit in Action, Second Edition
Flash with Drupal
High-Security Mechanical Locks: An Encyclopedic Reference
Information Theory, Inference, and Learning Algorithms
Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution
Java Concurrency in Practice
Let Over Lambda
Applied Cryptography
Learn You a Haskell for Great Good
Purely Functional Data Structures
Basic Category Theory for Computer Scientists
Write Great Code Volume 1: Understanding the Machine
A FORTRAN Coloring Book
Graph Theory
Numerical Recipes
Matrix Computations
The Mythical Man-Month
The Code Book
The Definitive Guide to Drupal 7
Version Control By Example
Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software
I'll toss one out to get the ball rolling and give an idea of preferred format:

Title: Code Craft - The practice of writing excellent code
Author: Pete Goodliffe
ISBN: 978-1593271190
Amazon: Amazon
Reasons:
Although most of what is written is either debatable or common sense, the author has great delivery, and a language that appeals to management, which makes it easier for me to verbalize the s**t in my head when I need to approach management and explain to them why we need to do something another way.
I'll pitch in as well. I have 182,000 gold that I don't use. I haven't traded in years. I'll have my trades enabled back (disabled them myself for security reasons) and give gold to good book posts smile
Rayquazza
I'll pitch in as well. I have 182,000 gold that I don't use. I haven't traded in years. I'll have my trades enabled back (disabled them myself for security reasons) and give gold to good book posts smile

/salute

Changed the title to be more appropriate.
Title: Land of Lisp
Author: Conrad Barski
ISBN: 978-1-59327-281-4
Reasons:
I've just bought it, but at a glance, it reads a little like _why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby and has a style reminiscent of Learn You a Haskell.

Also, Lisp.
Title: The Elements of Computing Systems
Author: Noam Nisan and Shimon Schocken
ISBN: 978-0-262-64068-8
Reasons: (inb4Sitwon)
The best low-level discussion of computer architecture I can find.

In 12 short chapters, it starts you out with boolean algebra, and works you up through digital logic, designing a CPU and memory (in a VHDL dialect), and writing your own simple "operating system." It's referred to by many as "From NAND to Tetris in 12 steps."
Title: Code Complete 2
Author: Steve McConnell
ISBN: 978-0-7356-1967-8
Reasons:
Less a book on programming and more a book on software architecture. It's cited as the definitive book on the subject.

I lack the experience to actually say for sure if all of his insights are valid, but it is a good text nonetheless.
Title: OpenGL SuperBible, 5th edition
Author: Richard S. Wright, Nicholas Haemel, Graham Sellers, Benjamin Lipchak
ISBN: 978-0-321-71261-5
Reasons:
The best OpenGL tutorial on paper, next to the Red Book.

The authors don't demonstrate very good C++ style, but it's not a C++ tutorial.
Gonna add some essentials for any of the younger crew interested in this thread:

Title: Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
Authors: Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson, John M. Vlissides
ISBN: 978-0201633610
Reasons:
You can't go very far in programming without running into someone who will talk about Design Patterns, This book, written by the "Gang of Four" is the quintessential guide to that concept. Taking ideas from real world architecture (ala Alexander) and applying them to software.
Title: AntiPatterns: Refactoring Software, Architectures, and Projects in Crisis
Authors: William J. Brown, Raphael C. Malveau, Hays W. "Skip" McCormick, Thomas J. Mowbray
ISBN: 978-0471197133
Reasons:
Antipatterns are design patterns gone wrong. The basic concept is to learn what not to do by avoiding common pitfalls. The first mention of the concept I'm aware of is by Andrew Koenig in a magazine, but this book really solidified the idea and spread the word. Deals with pitfalls of both development and management.
Title: Object-Oriented Software Construction
Authors: Bertrand Meyer
ISBN: 978-0136291558
Reasons:
If you want to get a really in depth understanding of the principles of OOP, here's where to start. This book is part architectural guidance, part best practices, and part language theory. It also teaches Eiffel in a passive manner as it uses it for demonstration.
Title: Seven Languages in Seven Weeks: A Pragmatic Guide to Learning Programming Languages
Authors: Bruce A. Tate
ISBN: 978-1934356593
Reasons:
Not a classic, but I love this book. Tate takes a very similar approach to learning languages to what I do. Already coming in with a deep understanding of programming paradigms, he learns languages by splitting his efforts into a macro and micro level. He covers the macro level by showing you some basic syntax that's going to ring in your head as standard language features, then he breaks down into language idioms and shows what makes each language great and unique. His positive energy and inquisitive nature really drive you to blow through this great book, even if you already know most of the languages.
Title: The Art of Software Testing, Second Edition
Authors: Glenford J. Myers, Corey Sandler, Tom Badgett, Todd M. Thomas
ISBN: 978-0471469124
Reasons:
Software testing is essential for modern professional programmers, and the original version of this book was way before it's time. It managed to stay relevant for 25 years before the latter 3 authors decided it needed a revamp (Myers was the original author). They added a modern twist on the age old best practices to deal with problems that programmers face today. If you care about writing better code with fewer bugs, this book is a great read.
Title: Coders at Work: Reflections on the Craft of Programming
Authors: Peter Seibel
ISBN: 978-1430219484
Reasons:
In this book, Seibel interviews some of the best (or at least most famous) programmers of our era. Including legends like Knuth, Crockford, Thompson, Armstrong, and Steele. Get insight into what makes great developers tick, and what they consider best practices in programming, architecture, and management.
Title: Art of Computer Programming
Authors: Donald E. Knuth
ISBN: 978-0321751041
Reasons:
The Programming Reference. Covers every aspect of programming, heavy on math, don't read it all in a row if you value your sanity, but keep it around, keep it as a reference, and read it from time to time. Take it in slow and you'll find it very rewarding and relevant even so far after it was written.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff