Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Lunatic

Yes, this relates to computers and technology. Before you go "LOL THIS IS S000000000000000000000000000 DUM IT WONT EVEN HAPENN DERP TDERPDERPTROLLTROLL PLEASE READ EVEN IF YOU ARENT AMERICAN YOU CAN HELP!

I did not even cover everything in this bill. Please refer to ANY LINKS IN THIS THREAD to learn the full thing
SOPA is the stop online piracy act in the United States of America.
It will block a LOT of sites. sites you use EVERY DAY . If the bill passes, you can still access the website ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE IP ADRESS.

"The legislation would allow the government to get court orders that would require ISPs, search engines, ad networks, and online payment processors to stop supporting sites with pirated content" (Article ; SOPA Vote Might Happen This Week)

It basically BREAKS THE INTERNET.

An aide to bill sponsor Lamar Smith has said, "This bill does not make it a felony for a person to post a video on YouTube of their children singing to a copyrighted song. The bill specifically targets websites dedicated to illegal or infringing activity. Sites that host user content—like YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter—have nothing to be concerned about under this legislation".
"The bill would make unauthorized streaming of copyrighted content a felony."

FIREFOX USERS! YOUR BROWSER CAN BE SHUT DOWN!
Open source software projects may shut down under this bill,[17] under a provision which the EFF believes targets Mozilla,[18] the browser used for about a quarter of all web searches
(FROM WIKIPEDIA : Wikipedia sopa)

"The bill would basically give America it's own Great Firewall of China - wikipedia"

The bill does MORE than censor the internet, it can also kill jobs. "the EFF called the bill a "massive piece of job-killing Internet regulation,", Sponsor Rep. John Conyers (D-MI) said, "Millions of American jobs hang in the balance, and our efforts to protect America's intellectual property are critical to our economy's long-term success."[44] Smith added, "The Stop Online Piracy Act helps stop the flow of revenue to rogue websites and ensures that the profits from American innovations go to American innovators."

WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP! :
AREN'T AMERICAN? NO PROBLEM! YOU CAN STILL HELP!
Stop American Censorship.org
WATCH THE VIDEO! Click here

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
(Courtesy of PCmag.com)

Please note I may have gotten stuff wrong because I wrote this article all by myself. PLEASE SENT A LETTER TO WHOEVER YOU CAN ABOUT THIS!

Shameless Dabbler

Luminoir

Wrong forum. Try the sub forum.

Lonely Lunatic

Sorry sir.
I just looked at the picture.

Any verification on the #open act?
Disconsented
I just looked at the picture.

Any verification on the #open act?
The picture is wrong. It has "YES" in many places where a "NO" belongs. And, from my understanding, it also badly mis-characterizes OPEN.

Lonely Lunatic

Guys I AM AWARE there are 2 of these exact same threads in this forum. Why? My one from the other forum got moved here sorry guys.
Luminoir
Guys I AM AWARE there are 2 of these exact same threads in this forum. Why? My one from the other forum got moved here sorry guys.
No worries. We know Rgoodermote misses things.

Lonely Lunatic

psychic stalker
Luminoir
No worries. We know Rgoodermote misses things.

Yeah hehe I was like oops
screw SOPA and PIPA
Nvidia FranBunny GT
screw SOPA and PIPA

'

glad that you've contributed so much to the discussion.
Anybody got a link for the proposed legislation, as in the bill?

Demonic Defender

14,100 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
What's the point to have internet connection when you are not allowed to use it?
Why not just scrap internet altogether, then you don't have to worry about piracy and all those stuffs.
Disconsented
For future reference, all proposed legislation and the entire congressional record is on the Library of Congress website:
SOPA
PROTECT IP

You can view all current motions and proposed amendments and votes on the bill summary page:
SOPA
PROTECT IP
psychic stalker
Disconsented
For future reference, all proposed legislation and the entire congressional record is on the Library of Congress website:
SOPA
PROTECT IP

You can view all current motions and proposed amendments and votes on the bill summary page:
SOPA
PROTECT IP

Thank you, I will read it later.

Lonely Lunatic

Tadpole Jackson
Nvidia FranBunny GT
screw SOPA and PIPA

'

glad that you've contributed so much to the discussion.

Better than nothing I guess? sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces