Welcome to Gaia! ::

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
Anyone here planning on getting the Pebble or Galaxy Gear? Smart watches have been a thing of the imagination for decades now, featured in comics, TV shows and movies. The thing is, what purpose does one really serve? You need to pair the watch up with a smartphone for it to work online, if I'm not mistaken. Why not just use the phone in that case?

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
Scarred Sword Heart
Anyone here planning on getting the Pebble or Galaxy Gear? Smart watches have been a thing of the imagination for decades now, featured in comics, TV shows and movies. The thing is, what purpose does one really serve? You need to pair the watch up with a smartphone for it to work online, if I'm not mistaken. Why not just use the phone in that case?
I own a Pebble. I got in on the Kickstarter and I ordered a black one so I was one of the first to get one.

The Pebble is a fantastic example of what a smartwatch should be. You're right, it does pair to your smartphone. The point is not to replace your smartphone, but rather to augment it.

When I receive notifications on my cell phone they are forwarded to my Pebble. So if I'm out at a bar or restaurant and I get an email or text message I only need to glance at my wrist to see what it's about. I don't need to pull my phone out and look at the screen. In the words of one person I met a bar, "That's quite civilized."

Ever have your phone go off when you're in a movie theater or in a meeting? My phone is always set to silent because if I get a call my wrist will buzz and I can see who's calling and reject the call without pulling the phone from my pocket or disrupting anyone else.

Get a call or text while you're driving? Just look at your wrist instead of fumbling with phone.

Also great when your hands are dirty because you're cooking ribs or changing the oil on your motorcycle. You don't want that mess all over your phone.

These are just some of the real-world experience I've have since getting my Pebble. It lowers your stress levels and keeps your hands free to work on other things. But it doesn't replace your phone. If I had to hold my write up to my face to make a call then that would totally negate the hands-free benefit. Also, a 1-2" screen on your wrist is never going to compete with a 5" screen for running apps, so you'll still need your phone for comfortably replying to messages, dialing numbers, or running apps like Facebook. It doesn't make much sense to try and pack all that into a watch.

The Pebble struck the right balance, and it's just... "civilized".

It remains to be seen if the Galaxy Gear will be a similarly civilized experience or just yet another gadget for early adopters to fiddle with instead of having meaningful social interactions with the real people right in front of them.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
Those are good points. One could argue whether it's more civilized to look at a watch than at a phone, but that's subjective.

Thanks for the input.

Newbie Noob

As cell phones become more self aware, like google now, we're going to have to look at the three form factors.

1. Glasses. Always on, so you can always look at information wants to get you
2. Watch. Not always "on", but always checkable.
3. Phone. In your pocket, so much more difficult to check.

Each form factor has it's reason. If you want to look at a map, you can have glasses and always have the map on. You can glance at your watch. Or you can pull out a phone and check that. Each one has it's pluses or minuses, and even if you have a phone, it doesn't mean you won't want to check your map all the time on a watch or glasses.

There's also the "master device" argument.

Some people believe the wearable computer, aka the watch, will be the next form factor. Instead of carrying a cell phone, a laptop, a tablet, etc, you just carry a watch.

Step up to a bluetooth monitor and keyboard, let your watch connect, instant desktop.
Use your bluetooth phone that could even be shaped like a phone, let your watch connect, instant phone.
Put on your bluetooth glasses, let your watch connect, instant google glass.
Pull up a bluetooth tablet dumb terminal, let your watch connect, instant tablet.

The current rumor is that the next Apple product is going to be like this master device, capable of doing everything.

Newbie Member

7,400 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Voter 100
Smart watches are cool and I like the idea behind them but the ones I've seen look ugly.

Also its highly illegal to talk on your phone and they are planing on it or already have banned the use of cell phones of any kind while driving and this includes blue tooth and hands free devices.

If these laws are passed are done right it will also make using the smart watch illegal to use while driving.

We have a complete ban on holding any electronic hand held device while driving and since smart watches can fall under that law they might also classify the smart watch as a hand held device.

If you get caught going 11mp/h (40km/h) over the speed limit you will get fined $1,200 and get your vehicle impounded for 60 days and you have to pay for the storage fees and the towing fees.

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
Resistance_2012
Smart watches are cool and I like the idea behind them but the ones I've seen look ugly.
Which ones have you seen? I realize that's a subjective assessment, but it sounds like you haven't looked at very many.

Resistance_2012
Also its highly illegal to talk on your phone and they are planing on it or already have banned the use of cell phones of any kind while driving and this includes blue tooth and hands free devices.

If these laws are passed are done right it will also make using the smart watch illegal to use while driving.

We have a complete ban on holding any electronic hand held device while driving and since smart watches can fall under that law they might also classify the smart watch as a hand held device.
Why are you trying to spread FUD like that? That's clearly not a prevailing trend in public policy. What do you have to gain by scaring people away from smart watches with such an extremely unlikely hypothetical situation?

Resistance_2012
If you get caught going 11mp/h (40km/h) over the speed limit you will get fined $1,200 and get your vehicle impounded for 60 days and you have to pay for the storage fees and the towing fees.
Yes, if you're speeding then you might get pulled over. That's true regardless of whether you're using your phone at the time or not. This whole paragraph is a pretty blatant scare tactic. It has nothing to do with the topic of discussion.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
I've never heard of anyone having their car impounded for using phone, glass, watch while driving.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Scarred Sword Heart
I've never heard of anyone having their car impounded for using phone, glass, watch while driving.

Because anyone caught gets a right bollocking by the police and a fine of, I think, £1000. At least that's how it is in the UK, and I have no idea how they do it in the USA.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
In the USA, it's generally a slap on the wrist and "Don't do that again!"
A friend of mine has a smart watch, I forget which one he had but he said it comes in handy when he isn't near his phone, notifies him of any texts, reminders, etc.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff