Welcome to Gaia! ::

Familiar Lover

I can't get Ubuntu to install on this HP Pavilion HPE H8-1230 desktop. Does it have something to do with pseudo-RAID? UEFI? A protected fixed drive?
How did you try to install it (trough Windows, by bootable disk or per bootable USB stick) and at which step is it failing?

Familiar Lover

The20
How did you try to install it (trough Windows, by bootable disk or per bootable USB stick) and at which step is it failing?
I tried the desktop version CD, the 'alternate' version, and the server version text installers. They hang up at the repartitioning, I supposed because a pseudo-RAID disk is mapped to something besides /dev/sda. The forums talk about this in the context of where to load the grub bootloader, but that's after the installation to disk, when it needs to be booted again. I can't seem to get to that point either. I had disabled UEFI because I had seen in the forums to do so. I like the computer, but I don't want to open it up and pull the drive and replace it with a different one unless I expect it to work any better after all.

Yes, if I attach an external USB drive, or thumbdrive, the installer offers to let me partition those, but I don't think the computer will boot from USB media without the UEFI.

Thanks for posting. Have you got any ideas?
viva sinazcot
I tried the desktop version CD, the 'alternate' version, and the server version text installers. They hang up at the repartitioning, I supposed because a pseudo-RAID disk is mapped to something besides /dev/sda. The forums talk about this in the context of where to load the grub bootloader, but that's after the installation to disk, when it needs to be booted again. I can't seem to get to that point either. I had disabled UEFI because I had seen in the forums to do so. I like the computer, but I don't want to open it up and pull the drive and replace it with a different one unless I expect it to work any better after all.

Yes, if I attach an external USB drive, or thumbdrive, the installer offers to let me partition those, but I don't think the computer will boot from USB media without the UEFI.

Thanks for posting. Have you got any ideas?
Sorry, i have no experience with RAID.

Familiar Lover

The20
Sorry, i have no experience with RAID.
Oh, snap.
What Motherboard do you have?
You may IIRC be able to change that from within your UEFI.

Familiar Lover

Disconsented
I took it back to Office Max. sweatdrop Now if I want a Zambezi I'll just have to build it myself. whee

Thanks for caring, though.
viva sinazcot
Disconsented
I took it back to Office Max. sweatdrop Now if I want a Zambezi I'll just have to build it myself. whee

You know Zambezi was a major flop right?

Familiar Lover

Disconsented
viva sinazcot
Disconsented

No. . . who said?
viva sinazcot
Disconsented
viva sinazcot
Disconsented

No. . . who said?
Everyone.

Anandtech's discussion will help.

tl;dr: The design has a number of shortcomings that resulted in extremely inconsistent performance in general and poor desktop performance in particular.

Zambezi is generally a poorer-performing part than the Phenom II.

Basically, AMD bet on math-heavy code moving to the GPU sooner than programmers wanted to.

Familiar Lover

psychic stalker
viva sinazcot
Disconsented
No. . . who said?
Everyone.

Anandtech's discussion will help.

tl;dr: The design has a number of shortcomings that resulted in extremely inconsistent performance in general and poor desktop performance in particular.

Zambezi is generally a poorer-performing part than the Phenom II.

Basically, AMD bet on math-heavy code moving to the GPU sooner than programmers wanted to.
rolleyes Maaaaaybe it helps if you're playing Civilization V and simultaneously editing three movies . . . sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff