Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unstoppable Phantom

10,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
I bought a Windows 8 laptop during Black Friday last year (2012). Everything was running perfectly fine, up until a month later I got a virus. That's when all of a sudden my Internet connection began running painstakingly slow, as if I was using dial-up, and even dial-up I feel would be a lot faster than what I'm still dealing with. Anyway, I cleaned the virus(es) up, and I did a full virus scan using Norton, Spybot, and even AVG. One at a time, of course. There was, however, still a recurring thing through these scans. That being "Tracking cookies". I cleaned up the cookies and blocked 3rd parties. That didn't make my connection online run faster. Googling takes awhile to search, YouTube videos that are at least a minute act as if they're 2 hours, downloading audio files take up to an hour or two, if not longer. Stuff that never happened before.

Anyway, I did a system restore. As in, back to default settings as if I had just bought the laptop again. I did this twice, actually. Turns out that my Internet is still slower than crap falling out of a poop chute. I'm not sure what's going on. I installed updates and drivers, even flash, as YouTube is awfully slow itself, and still I've got nothing. The Internet also runs fine throughout the household, except my "new" laptop. I've had about enough of this nonsense, and so here I am. I hope I can get answers. Here's the details of what I am using:

Product name: HP 2000 Notebook PC
Serial number: 5CG2353372F
Product number: C2M42UA#ABA
Operating system: Windows 8 64-bit
Microprocessor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2328M CPU @ 2.20GHz
System memory: 4GB
Memory slot 1: 4GB SODIMM Micron Technology 1333MHz
Graphics device 1: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
System board: 1854 64.22
System BIOS: F.22
Hard drive 1: Hitachi HTS545050A7E380
C: 442.47 GB (398.12 GB free)
D: 22.52 GB (2.43 GB free)

I don't want to say it's the hardware, because I never move this laptop anywhere. But I'm really hoping it's not. sad

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
I can guess part of, if not all, of the problem is that AVG and Norton are both fighting for control of the system. Spybot concentrates solely on spyware, whereas the other two are virus scanners. Two or more virus scanners can cause a lot more problems than it's worth. Pick one out of AVG and Norton and get rid of the other.

This "System Restore" wasn't a Factory Restore by any chance? System Restore doesn't make it "like new". It works completely differently.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/c-t-tech-talk/general-computer-maintenance-information/t.42018459/
Try that guide and see if it helps a little.

Unstoppable Phantom

10,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
Lanackse-Kanvae
I can guess part of, if not all, of the problem is that AVG and Norton are both fighting for control of the system. Spybot concentrates solely on spyware, whereas the other two are virus scanners. Two or more virus scanners can cause a lot more problems than it's worth. Pick one out of AVG and Norton and get rid of the other.

This "System Restore" wasn't a Factory Restore by any chance? System Restore doesn't make it "like new". It works completely differently.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/c-t-tech-talk/general-computer-maintenance-information/t.42018459/
Try that guide and see if it helps a little.

I don't think it was the virus scanners. The two restores I did weren't through the Control Panels Recovery. It was Factory Restore. I'll check that link.
Lanackse-Kanvae
Windows 8 makes it harder to perform a System Restore through the OS now. You can still reboot to the (new) Windows RE in order to perform a system restore, or you can search for "Recovery" and find System Restore that way (why "system" or "restore" doesn't work I'll never know) or run rstrui.exe. Basically, it's just less likely people will be using that as regularly as it is less obvious of how to access it.

From the Windows 8 Settings Control Panel you can perform a "Refresh" which will just remove desktop applications and leave "Apps" and your personal files and a "Reset" which will perform a system recovery.

Alukarj
I don't think it was the virus scanners.
Are they both installed right now? Both Norton and AVG?

And exactly which versions of each? (ie. Internet Security vs 360 vs whatever)

But this could be driver related; the reset may have screwed up or there could be a problem with the network driver included. To test whether your wireless is the problem it would be beneficial to try disabling it and plugging in a network cable. If you are already using ethernet, do the reverse - test your wireless and remove your ethernet cable.

It wouldn't hurt to try reinstalling your network driver though. This link should bring you to the driver download page for your model. You will need to check whether you need the Ralink or Qualcomm Atheros driver. Alternatively, try one then the other. It won't let you install if it is the wrong one.

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
Windows 8 comes with MSE (renamed as Windows Defender) pre-installed. So unless you disabled it, you have 3 anti-virus and two general malware scanners running. That does certainly explain a lot now, doesn't it?

Unstoppable Phantom

10,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
Minion4Hire
Lanackse-Kanvae
Windows 8 makes it harder to perform a System Restore through the OS now. You can still reboot to the (new) Windows RE in order to perform a system restore, or you can search for "Recovery" and find System Restore that way (why "system" or "restore" doesn't work I'll never know) or run rstrui.exe. Basically, it's just less likely people will be using that as regularly as it is less obvious of how to access it.

From the Windows 8 Settings Control Panel you can perform a "Refresh" which will just remove desktop applications and leave "Apps" and your personal files and a "Reset" which will perform a system recovery.

Alukarj

But this could be driver related; the reset may have screwed up or there could be a problem with the network driver included. To test whether your wireless is the problem it would be beneficial to try disabling it and plugging in a network cable. If you are already using ethernet, do the reverse - test your wireless and remove your ethernet cable.

It wouldn't hurt to try reinstalling your network driver though. This link should bring you to the driver download page for your model. You will need to check whether you need the Ralink or Qualcomm Atheros driver. Alternatively, try one then the other. It won't let you install if it is the wrong one.

I'll try the rstrui.exe in a moment. Right now, I'm on the HP website, and I'm going to install any drivers that may be missing, for whatever reason. I might find this, but in case I don't, where is "Refresh" at in Control Panel?

I don't have AVGs virus protecting installed. I did previously, but not after the factory restore. Norton Internet Security came with the laptop already installed. I figured I'd try AVG after running a few full scans with Norton first. I was going to use my friends Windows 7 to reboot my laptop, but that didn't work, so I'm stuck with this.

I'm thinking that maybe it is just the Internet, but nobody else in the house is having a problem with their connection. So that might be my last resort.

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
Alukarj
Minion4Hire
Lanackse-Kanvae

Alukarj

I'll try the rstrui.exe in a moment. Right now, I'm on the HP website, and I'm going to install any drivers that may be missing, for whatever reason. I might find this, but in case I don't, where is "Refresh" at in Control Panel?

I don't have AVGs virus protecting installed. I did previously, but not after the factory restore. Norton Internet Security came with the laptop already installed. I figured I'd try AVG after running a few full scans with Norton first. I was going to use my friends Windows 7 to reboot my laptop, but that didn't work, so I'm stuck with this.

I'm thinking that maybe it is just the Internet, but nobody else in the house is having a problem with their connection. So that might be my last resort.
If no one else is having a problem, it's the laptop, which means I am going to have to second Minion's suggestion.
Alukarj
No.... I was just clarifying/mentioning some things with LK. Definitely download and install your network drivers, but ignore the rest. You don't need to do a system restore or a refresh if you have already reset Windows 8. But to clarify further, you went into this screen and clicked in the option in the bottom right, yes?

Just reinstall your network drivers and see if that helps. They won't be "missing" from Device Manager, just reinstall them. If Windows says it has a newer version installed, replace it anyway. Windows update has been known to install the incorrect driver from time to time.

Unstoppable Phantom

10,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
Minion4Hire
Alukarj
No.... I was just clarifying/mentioning some things with LK. Definitely download and install your network drivers, but ignore the rest. You don't need to do a system restore or a refresh if you have already reset Windows 8. But to clarify further, you went into this screen and clicked in the option in the bottom right, yes?

Just reinstall your network drivers and see if that helps. They won't be "missing" from Device Manager, just reinstall them. If Windows says it has a newer version installed, replace it anyway. Windows update has been known to install the incorrect driver from time to time.

Downloading the drivers from the HP site is giving me trouble. I'm not sure if it's just Firefox or whatever. This is completely new to me as far as issues go, though, aside from downloading other things that seemed to go for an hour or so. gonk Here is what it's saying:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

As for your screenshot, the bottom right is the one I chose.
Alukarj
Minion4Hire
Alukarj

Downloading the drivers from the HP site is giving me trouble. I'm not sure if it's just Firefox or whatever. This is completely new to me as far as issues go, though, aside from downloading other things that seemed to go for an hour or so. gonk Here is what it's saying:

Sorry, what is the issue there? It says unknown size/time, which can happen, but does the file finish downloading?

Unstoppable Phantom

10,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
Minion4Hire
Alukarj
Minion4Hire
Alukarj

Sorry, what is the issue there? It says unknown size/time, which can happen, but does the file finish downloading?

Yeah, it finished. I had never seen that before, so I was a bit concerned. Sorry. :/

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff