Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Lunatic

6,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Somehow, I think I believe you o.o.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Since I pay for 12down/2up service, this is obviously with speed boost.

Though, I can usually spam my connection with netflix to burn up my speedboost and test again immediately to see my "real" speed. It seems to have a lot to do with network congestion, on peak hours I usually "only" get my rated 12/2 and no speedboost, but at way off peak hours I get a lot more bandwidth than I pay for.

Modem stats:
SNR: 39.5 dB
Received Signal Strength: 0.1 dBmV
Bit Error Rate: 0.008 %

Which of course, is all stupid good.

Funny recent story:

There was apparently some kind of node issue, that was impacting down speed in my area. Apparently nobody else does anything more than browse the web on my node, because there were no other complaints.

I was getting like 0.5Mbs down (but still 2-3 up), which was unacceptable for my service level. I was still % 100 reliable though. No packet loss, good signal, no modem disconnects.

So I called them, and they sent someone out (universally expecting that I was just a dumbass).
Exact quote from the phone rep: "I've never seen a modem with signal that good having a problem."

However, since "my internet is slow" is almost always just user stupidity, the tech had a hell of a time getting their higher ups to listen.

I already had great cable signal because I terminate unused connections in the house and also that my modem is literally about 4 feet of fresh cable away from the master splitter. It's like a cable guys wet dream. Anyway, so his superior is CERTAIN that my computer is just slow (i7920 & HD 5850, LOL). The poor original tech was actually told to run a brand new drop off the pole for me, because it couldn't POSSIBLY be the network. I also got a brand new not-a-crappy-surfboard modem.

After 4 independent visits from 3 different techs, it finally got pushed up the food chain (by a "lead" tech that came out). A day later, I was rocking at full speed again. He said that they wouldn't tell him what exactly, just that "there was a problem."

So they ran me a new drop, gave me a new modem, used what I estimate to be about 8 hours of time on site (plus gas and drive time), and credited me $20 for not fixing it on the first visit.

For something that had absolutely nothing to do with conditions on site.
EPIC FAIL for comcast.
EPIC WIN for me.
I went to test the connection at work and apparently they've throttled the connection available to the workstations since the last test I ran for one of these threads (much slower speeds now), and this company now shows as it's own ISP, so I wouldn't want to post the results anyway, since where I'm working right now is nobody's business. xp

6,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
SlackerInside
Since I pay for 12down/2up service, this is obviously with speed boost.

Though, I can usually spam my connection with netflix to burn up my speedboost and test again immediately to see my "real" speed. It seems to have a lot to do with network congestion, on peak hours I usually "only" get my rated 12/2 and no speedboost, but at way off peak hours I get a lot more bandwidth than I pay for.

Modem stats:
SNR: 39.5 dB
Received Signal Strength: 0.1 dBmV
Bit Error Rate: 0.008 %

Which of course, is all stupid good.

Funny recent story:

There was apparently some kind of node issue, that was impacting down speed in my area. Apparently nobody else does anything more than browse the web on my node, because there were no other complaints.

I was getting like 0.5Mbs down (but still 2-3 up), which was unacceptable for my service level. I was still % 100 reliable though. No packet loss, good signal, no modem disconnects.

Basically, as long as you're getting what you paid for, I think that's good, because you're probably getting even more during off peak hours.
Bolweevil

I went to test the connection at work and apparently they've throttled the connection available to the workstations since the last test I ran for one of these threads (much slower speeds now), and this company now shows as it's own ISP, so I wouldn't want to post the results anyway, since where I'm working right now is nobody's business. xp

You could just crop/blur out that part if you'd like, and upload it onto your image hosting website of choice.
XSleepless
Bolweevil

You could just crop/blur out that part if you'd like, and upload it onto your image hosting website of choice.
Naah, with the throttling it's nothing to brag about anymore. 5 down, 0.5 up. I get better speeds than that at home.

6,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Bolweevil
XSleepless
Bolweevil

Naah, with the throttling it's nothing to brag about anymore. 5 down, 0.5 up. I get better speeds than that at home.

Oh, well that's fine. Also, I think you accidentaly made a doppleganger.
1.5 down, 0.5 or so up. DSL.

This surprised me, though.

6,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
The Last Rydian
1.5 down, 0.5 or so up. DSL.

This surprised me, though.

I'm doing a ping test. Yours is good. I have Grade F gonk

6,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
EDIT: I changed the first post for better instruction on how to do the speedtest. It semms that people are doing pingtests too, and if it becomes popular, I'll give intructions on that, too.

Original Gaian

XSleepless
EDIT: I changed the first post for better instruction on how to do the speedtest. It semms that people are doing pingtests too, and if it becomes popular, I'll give intructions on that, too.
Instructions aren't really necessary for such a trivial task.

Considering my laptop is near the boundary of how far my wireless router will transmit, I'm surprised my ping test results were still OK.

Sparkly Lunatic

Man, I love my uni's network.

Best part: That's wireless, with about 6 other (wireless) computers in the same room.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff