Welcome to Gaia! ::

Thieving Streaker

So i'd appreciate it if any of you wizard pc builders could look over the build I have in mind for a computer used mainly for rendering (revit, autocad, 3dsmax)

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/acer589/saved/218c

I'm an architect student and want something more powerful than my laptop. Trying to keep the budget under 1500$ so a workstation card is somthing I can't really afford at the moment. I also might switch to a modular power supply.

thanks!
The GTX 770 seems a tiny bit overkill for CAD. Even a 750 would be adequate for even the most demanding work. (And for the record: A Quadro is usually just a rebadged GeForce with a custom VBIOS for CAD-specific features.)

I've had spectacularly bad luck with Western Digital - I've seen new retail drives fail within a week! I tend to buy Seagate because I've never had a failure in less than 4 years of use.

Lastly, Lite-ON drives are crap. They are the worst drives ever made. It'll fail within a month, unable to read a DVD, and any DVD-Rs you burn will have such a high error rate that they'll be essentially unreadable. Spend a couple extra dollars and get a different brand. You'll thank me for that.

If Minion4Hire deigns to comment, listen to him. Especially if he disagrees with me. The guy knows his hardware.

Thieving Streaker

psychic stalker
The GTX 770 seems a tiny bit overkill for CAD. Even a 750 would be adequate for even the most demanding work. (And for the record: A Quadro is usually just a rebadged GeForce with a custom VBIOS for CAD-specific features.)

I've had spectacularly bad luck with Western Digital - I've seen new retail drives fail within a week! I tend to buy Seagate because I've never had a failure in less than 4 years of use.

Lastly, Lite-ON drives are crap. They are the worst drives ever made. It'll fail within a month, unable to read a DVD, and any DVD-Rs you burn will have such a high error rate that they'll be essentially unreadable. Spend a couple extra dollars and get a different brand. You'll thank me for that.

If Minion4Hire deigns to comment, listen to him. Especially if he disagrees with me. The guy knows his hardware.

good stuff. Thanks for the advice. Someone I know made this part list for me actually and we've been going over it for a few days. I didn't know the fact about he western digital drives.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff