Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm suprised there isn't much Free Open Source Software propaganda in the C&T forum, besides advocating Linux. Why?

950 Points
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
"Free Open Source Software propaganda"

I don't think I know what you mean, but most people here seem to only recomend software they use and find better over others.

Plus many of us know that Open Source is not free. The free is for "Freedom". Freedom to do as you wish with the software.
I've seen several people talking about the GIMP, OpenOffice, and many other free alternatives to expensive software out there. The reason Linux threads seem to be prevalent is mainly (in my mind) because learning Linux does take quite a bit of time and it instills a sense of pride that many Linux users feel the need to flaunt.

EDIT: Silly mistake of mine, I was thinking of Freeware sweatdrop
Drezliok
"Free Open Source Software propaganda"

I don't think I know what you mean, but most people here seem to only recomend software they use and find better over others.

Plus many of us know that Open Source is not free. The free is for "Freedom". Freedom to do as you wish with the software.

Yes, but I'm mostly talking about 'free' software, 'free' as in 'speech' AND 'free' as in 'beer'.

For example, The OpenCD is designed to introduce Windows users to FOSS. 3nodding

I have a problem with people pirating software instead of getting legal, FOSS alternatives. I think not many people know about FOSS, so one of the personal missions of the computer geek is to lure people away from propriety software... ninja
I agree with you on FOSS alternatives to pirated software, but propaganda? Seems to me most people here know about it and those who don't quickly hear about through word of mouth. If they want to, there are links everywhere on the C&T forum, and I keep seeing the subject of open source in general popping up, so I see no real need to advertise it; it's all there if they want to check it out.
Odjnn
I agree with you on FOSS alternatives to pirated software, but propaganda? Seems to me most people here know about it and those who don't quickly hear about through word of mouth. If they want to, there are links everywhere on the C&T forum, and I keep seeing the subject of open source in general popping up, so I see no real need to advertise it; it's all there if they want to check it out.

I don't mean advertising it to C&T regulars, but putting up a sticky in the main C&T forum for non-regulars... Just an idea.

Many people would rather get pirated software over FOSS because the idea of free, open source software is strange to them ("Why would anyone give away something for free? There must be something wrong with it..." wink , and people fear what is strange.

I'm thinking if the general populace becomes comfortable with the idea of FOSS, the general populace will use it. 3nodding
that sounds like a great idea, i just don't want to force feed it to people

i'm sure that's not what you meant by propaganda, it's just the image i associate with propaganda (and i am aware that's not what propaganda is wink )
Odjnn
that sounds like a great idea, i just don't want to force feed it to people

i'm sure that's not what you meant by propaganda, it's just the image i associate with propaganda (and i am aware that's not what propaganda is wink )

Well, I'm using the word 'propaganda' in jest. Saying that Microsoft sucks is propaganda, as well as advocating Linux. 'Propaganda' has negative connotations, but that's basically what it is, whenever you're trying to spread your ideology. wink

I think such a thread should have a subject line of "Hacker Secrets: Don't look here!" or something along those lines. When I visit forums that I normally don't go to that have stickies with subject lines "OMFG! Updated! The urge to read is hard to resist!" or "Don't look here! What is in this thread is too disturbing for young eyes", I end up reading the sticky. xd So that method actually works.

Beloved Capitalist

6,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
I don't tend to propagandize it here because if I do i'll end up having to do tech support for it
I think people perfer to mention what fits the thread. I mean in here the amount of that go "use linux, your problem is windows it's c***" sometimes gets to large in volume and is break the C&T rules anyways...

But nah I think with Gimp it's just awful, I don't really see it as a competitor to photoshop since it has nothing on photoshop apart from being free so that really why gimp doesn't get advertised that much.

Linux usually is mainly talked about when topics about webhosting come up and that and people wanting to set up there own webhost. Mozilla sometimes get advertised around here... even tho I really do think there are atleast 2 web browsers better then firefox...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff