Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey everyone!
I currently own a Toshiba Satellite, series M645-S4118. However, I'm about to go to college next year and it appears that everyone is leaning towards getting a Macbook air or iPad. Which of these devices- Macbook Air, ipad, or my current laptop would you think be most suitable for performance and practicality of the average college lifestyle?

I'm really interested in the iPad simply due to its touchscreen interface. I wonder if it is a good investment for note-taking, since after all many college students lug their electronics around to class.

I've heard that Apple technology overall is overrated- but I'm still not quite sure. That sleek design seems sort of killer to my 5lb laptop...
well both laptops would have been made by Quanta.

one caution, the laptop you currently have most likely have a windows OS installed, While the Mac OS is different, it is not drastically different, but still different, there will be a period of adjustment, investment in new software.
Joda01
well both laptops would have been made by Quanta.

one caution, the laptop you currently have most likely have a windows OS installed, While the Mac OS is different, it is not drastically different, but still different, there will be a period of adjustment, investment in new software.

I guess there's just too much branding involved with our appliances. sad
I'm still unsure of what to go with though. I think I'd totally go with turning an iPad into a laptop if Gaia Towns worked on it ;D
It's adobe shockwave right? D:
didn't Steve Jobs on several occasions over the last 10 years, or so declare those "out dated formats" flash and shockwave dead in favour of HTML 5?

Shameless Enabler

Joda01
didn't Steve Jobs on several occasions over the last 10 years, or so declare those "out dated formats" flash and shockwave dead in favour of HTML 5?
It's still available.

Buying a Mac is not just switching brands but switching the entire way you use your computer. Your workflow will change, your expectations will change, and your options (especially re: games) will change. They're great, don't get me wrong (and the air is fantastically light, which is a plus for college), but you're not just signing up for a well-made laptop - you're signing up for an entirely new OS. You may also want to investigate what your college courses actually require as far as software goes, because a lot of courses may require certain software (or versions of that software) that are OS-specific.

An iPad would be inappropriate as your main college computing device, however. It comes close, but falls short on a few key features you'll need to manage your studies and workload. It's also a fantastic device, but it doesn't tick all the boxes for your specific case.

Perfect Lunatic

11,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
I totally agree with Seraph's advice. I've used both MacOS and Windows and they are completely different beasts. Whether you can handle this or not depends on your experiences and stuff and that's something I'm really not all that qualified (or willing) to get into.

Some IT courses are notorious for requiring software that will only run on specific operating systems. Thankfully I've not ran into that yet and I'm hoping that it stays that way but then my educational establishment is one of the best.
On top of that it's expected on some courses that you're running a specific operating system. For example, no good doing a Microsoft Certification if you're not running Windows since there will probably be questions on the Windows operating system itself.

If you've followed Seraph's advice and a Mac is still a "go" idea, then I cannot emphasise that you try MacOS out for yourself. This can be either through a Mac store or through a friend that has a Mac.
nouveau sereph
Joda01
It's still available.

also for the iOS?

Shameless Enabler

Joda01
nouveau sereph
Joda01
It's still available.

also for the iOS?
Never was.
nouveau sereph
Joda01
It's still available.

Buying a Mac is not just switching brands but switching the entire way you use your computer. Your workflow will change, your expectations will change, and your options (especially re: games) will change. They're great, don't get me wrong (and the air is fantastically light, which is a plus for college), but you're not just signing up for a well-made laptop - you're signing up for an entirely new OS. You may also want to investigate what your college courses actually require as far as software goes, because a lot of courses may require certain software (or versions of that software) that are OS-specific.

An iPad would be inappropriate as your main college computing device, however. It comes close, but falls short on a few key features you'll need to manage your studies and workload. It's also a fantastic device, but it doesn't tick all the boxes for your specific case.

Thanks for the insight! smile
My parents (who have been Apple skeptics for a while) recently bought an iPad 2 and iPad 3. They both love their devices, how fast they run, the user interface, all the apps and more. They are great devices, and I like to use them when they aren't. If your main plan is to take notes, get a bluetooth keyboard to go with it and you're set to go. Bluetooth keyboards aren't overly expensive, so it shouldn't be a problem.

However, a laptop can do more than an iPad. iPads can cover a lot of bases, but if you want to do more intensive work, a laptop is what you need. I would recommend a Mac laptop, but a Windows will work well too.

In short: If you aren't going to be doing too much for intensive work, get an iPad. The 10 hour (depending on what you're doing) battery life outdoes even the Mac laptops, and is fantastic for taking notes without having to drag a power cord around. There's even a Belkin (I think that's the name of the company) who makes a case that can be a stand, be held in portrait mode, has a keyboard built in and can fold the keyboard out for a laptop-like look.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces