Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kiretsu
Id love to see the official documentation Apple has about OSX being based on Linux. Everyone keeps taling about it.

OMG U DINT KNO? LAWEZ, MACOSX=LINUX! N00BZ0RZ LAWLERSKATES! WHY U THINK SO STABLE? IT NEVAR CRASH N STUFF JUST LIK LINUX! I'M A SCRIPT KIDDIE!

I too would like to see this, all I can find on the Apple site is;
Apple
Beneath the easy-to-use interface and rich graphics of Mac OS X is Darwin, an open source UNIX-based foundation built on technologies such as FreeBSD, Mach, Apache, and GCC. Darwin provides a complete UNIX environment, with X11 and POSIX services comparable to Linux or FreeBSD, including familiar kernel, libraries, networking and command-line utilities.

Dapper Gaian

1,225 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Gaian 50
Kiretsu
Id love to see the official documentation Apple has about OSX being based on Linux. Everyone keeps taling about it.

If only there was a smilie to give out my thoughts of you right now wink

OS X is *not* "Linux" based, it's BSD based, it uses a Mach microkernel and BSD architecture -- and is posix compatible (then again, so are a lot of OSes).. Because BSD isn't defined by kernel (unlike linux), OS X easily qualifies as a BSD-based OS, thus the "unix based" claim (BSD is closer to unix than linux is, ironically)..

Here's a few bits from very reputable sources, and to drop a bit more, OS X is based on NeXTStep, a rather well known mach-based derivative as well..

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/2q00/macos-qna/macos-x-qa-3.html
http://www.osviews.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2771

(ironic)
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Porting/Conceptual/PortingUnix/additionalfeatures/chapter_10_section_8.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X

Still not listening?

http://www.levenez.com/unix/history.html#08

That should remove most all doubt wink

Now that I've said that... OS X IS BSD BASED NOT LINUX BASED!
My option would be, if I could afford, a PowerMac and a decent (AMD) PC, a KVM switch, a router, and a good monitor, multibutton mouse, and programmable keyboard (a combo of a standard PC KB and a PI Engineering programmable, both running off a USB hub from the USB KVM KB port, would be appropriate).

An OS10 Mac running a decent firewall and something like F-Prot's BSD UNIX antivirus resident will be both effectively immune to virus infections and exploits, and will be unable to inadvertantly pass malware on to other users even though the PC code malware won't run on the Mac. The Mac can still copy and send mail worms even though it is not actually infected. The PC gets AVAST, AVG, or other decent antivirus and Sygate or ZoneAlarm, to the same end.

A third machine might be an older Mac, or an older PC. Its job would be to run as a fileserver on my little LAN. A fourth would be a laptop. PowerBooks and Sager PC laptops are durable...
WhiteSavage
soelmese
Rakh
the mac is mostly used for video/photo editing and producing. Not alot of games are produced on the Mac either because of its craptastic processor of 1ghz - 2.4 ghz. Though amazingly the price is extremly and i mean EXTREMLY high when you want a 2.4 ghz processor with just 1gig or ram. the 1.5-1.8 ghz processor on the other hand cost as much as a PC 2.5 ghz processor computer. but the good side is that they also consider the GPU card too. Not them crappy built in INTEL SUPER LEWT ULTRA OMEGA VICTORY PWNAGE graphics 500. Its actaully a Radeon 9600 - x850 XT PE.

Due to differences between the PPC architecture and x86, the speed of the processors of the two are not comparible. A 1.8 GHz PPC outperforms a 2.4GHz Pentium IV; likewise, PPC clock speeds are considerably lower than comparable x86 speeds. Your comparison between the two is flawed.

Also, the manner in which OSX offloads all graphics onto the GPU rather than using the CPU speeds the OS magnificently. This is why a midrange Mac looks so much better graphically than a similar PC. Macs have PCs desperately 0wned.

Well said.

Macs have a better interface and are more secure, however if you want to expand you knowlege use a dual boot system with linux.

Dapper Gaian

1,225 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Gaian 50
The_Omen
Macs have a better interface and are more secure, however if you want to expand you knowlege use a dual boot system with linux.

I'll agree, but you don't necessarily have to install linux on a mac, OS X is unix based and thus is "just as usable for linux uses" -- except it's more of a BSD than a linux, so if you've ever used FreeBSD, it's a lot more like that.
s4f3 m0d3
Pingachevsky
s4f3 m0d3
soelmese
Rakh
the mac is mostly used for video/photo editing and producing. Not alot of games are produced on the Mac either because of its craptastic processor of 1ghz - 2.4 ghz. Though amazingly the price is extremly and i mean EXTREMLY high when you want a 2.4 ghz processor with just 1gig or ram. the 1.5-1.8 ghz processor on the other hand cost as much as a PC 2.5 ghz processor computer. but the good side is that they also consider the GPU card too. Not them crappy built in INTEL SUPER LEWT ULTRA OMEGA VICTORY PWNAGE graphics 500. Its actaully a Radeon 9600 - x850 XT PE.

Due to differences between the PPC architecture and x86, the speed of the processors of the two are not comparible. A 1.8 GHz PPC outperforms a 2.4GHz Pentium IV; likewise, PPC clock speeds are considerably lower than comparable x86 speeds. Your comparison between the two is flawed.

Also, the manner in which OSX offloads all graphics onto the GPU rather than using the CPU speeds the OS magnificently. This is why a midrange Mac looks so much better graphically than a similar PC. Macs have PCs desperately 0wned.

i follow you...kinda
how does a midrange mac "look" better than a midrange pc?
i mean, ******** dude, i have an ATi RAGE IIc in a machine, and on the desktop it looks identical to my FX 5500 based system
so i fail to see the point there, or how macs have pcs desperately owned
on the lighter side, who says macs have no games? hell, OS X does graphics just like a game!

I think that what "This is why a midrange Mac looks so much better graphically than a similar PC." was implying that midrange Macs perform better than midrange PCs IN APPS THAT ACTUALLY USE 3D RENDERING, like games, or 3D max.

Bullshit.
edit for reason:
macs use the same video cards as PCs
GeForce FX 5200 will perform the same on either platform, in fact, it would work better on a PC because it uses less of its resources for the OS itself.

I never said it was correct, I was merely explaining what she was saying, seeing as you bring up the way the desktop looked implied you didn't get it.
it's dead easy to use, it looks awesome, they have far more powerful machines than pc's, they come with so many cool programs standard, almost every popular pc game has a mac version, (half life's the only one i can think of that doesn't), and they can't get viruses, spyware, or trojans.

((ok, there have been viruses for mac, but the last one was... 5 years ago.))

if you couldn't already tell im a moderator of the official mac guild. i'm curently waiting for the glue to dry on my new uv led installation on the side of my yosemite G3 (the blue and white one).

wanna see a blury pic of my marvel?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
French Horny
it's dead easy to use, it looks awesome, they have far more powerful machines than pc's, they come with so many cool programs standard, almost every popular pc game has a mac version, (half life's the only one i can think of that doesn't), and they can't get viruses, spyware, or trojans.

if you couldn't already tell im a moderator of the official mac guild. i'm curently waiting for the glue to dry on my new uv led installation on the side of my yosemite G3 (the blue and white one).

thank you for not knowing what your are talking about, and ressurecting this topic from the dead.
the last mac virus was NOT 5 years ago.
and you know all those patches apple releases? thats to keep you from getting wtfpwned, as even your beloved OS X is not immune to people exploiting it to harm your precious data.
and, if the user is an incompetent a mac CAN get spyware AND trojans.
as for far more powerful, i don't recall apple making a computer that can outperform a quad opteron PC (gaia actually runs on one of those i think...) sure its not a consumer grade machine, but i can dream smile
lets see...another reason why i would not want a mac....
ah
well, in the month i spent using OS X is felt more like a toy that a computer...thats just me.

in short, as a member OF the mac guild, im dissappointed at you for not at least TRYING to be unbaised in the way you promote the mac platform.
hell, i've got plenty of nice things to say about it, but i don't over exagerate the "goodness" of any OS i would promote.
as for games that are not on the mac
Command and Conquer
Red Alert
Red Alert 2
Tiberan Sun C&C
far cry
half life
half life 2
ragnarok online
ROSE
etc etc.

thank you for listening to my rant, have a nice day smile
Pingachevsky
s4f3 m0d3
Pingachevsky
s4f3 m0d3
soelmese
Rakh

i follow you...kinda
how does a midrange mac "look" better than a midrange pc?
i mean, ******** dude, i have an ATi RAGE IIc in a machine, and on the desktop it looks identical to my FX 5500 based system
so i fail to see the point there, or how macs have pcs desperately owned
on the lighter side, who says macs have no games? hell, OS X does graphics just like a game!

I think that what "This is why a midrange Mac looks so much better graphically than a similar PC." was implying that midrange Macs perform better than midrange PCs IN APPS THAT ACTUALLY USE 3D RENDERING, like games, or 3D max.

Bullshit.
edit for reason:
macs use the same video cards as PCs
GeForce FX 5200 will perform the same on either platform, in fact, it would work better on a PC because it uses less of its resources for the OS itself.

I never said it was correct, I was merely explaining what she was saying, seeing as you bring up the way the desktop looked implied you didn't get it.

i get it perfectly
OS X offloads all its desktop level graphics to the GPU instead of the CPU
in 3d apps on both windows an macOS all the graphical work is handed to the GPU
the only difference between the two oses in the handling of the GPU is that macOS always hands its graphical work to the gpu on the desktop and in programs, and windows only does it in programs.
s4f3 m0d3
French Horny

thank you for not knowing what your are talking about, and ressurecting this topic from the dead.
and you know all those patches apple releases? thats to keep you from getting wtfpwned, as even your beloved OS X is not immune to people exploiting it to harm your precious data.
as for far more powerful, i don't recall apple making a computer that can outperform a quad opteron PC (gaia actually runs on one of those i think...) sure its not a consumer grade machine, but i can dream smile
ah
well, in the month i spent using OS X is felt more like a toy that a computer...thats just me.

in short, as a member OF the mac guild, im dissappointed at you for not at least TRYING to be unbaised in the way you promote the mac platform.
hell, i've got plenty of nice things to say about it, but i don't over exagerate the "goodness" of any OS i would promote.
Command and Conquer
Red Alert
Red Alert 2
Tiberan Sun C&C
far cry
half life
half life 2
ragnarok online
ROSE
etc etc.

i knew there was a reason you were on my ignored list. apparrently we've met before, and apparrently i didn't like you then, either.

i asked all my lanwhore friends, ((all avid pc users, im the odd one out)) and none of them play rose, whatever ragnarok is, or tiberian sun.

games they do play are: halflife + cs, battlefield + dc, nfsu 1+2, quake 3, starcraft brood, warcraft FT, halo, and bontago.

games from that list i can't use on my mac ((without an emulator)): halflife + cs and bontago.

http://www.apple.com/games/

in conclusion, the only thing you proved is that you like to play games that aren't mac native.

thanks for listening to my explanation, jerk.
s4f3 m0d3

Yes...last year's potential "OMG this might happen" virus was quite a scare.
s4f3 m0d3

At least all the updates tell you what the hell it's going to do to your computer, also, apple releases patches for bugs that nobody even knows about yet. In the end, every OS has security issues. The thing is just how many of them there actually are.
s4f3 m0d3

But are any actually written for Mac? .exe files and such can't really execute themselves on a Mac, can't they?
s4f3 m0d3

using a computer should be fun anyway! blaugh
s4f3 m0d3

I'm so proud of people like you.
French Horny
s4f3 m0d3
French Horny

ah

Command and Conquer
Red Alert
Red Alert 2
Tiberan Sun C&C
far cry
half life
half life 2
ragnarok online
ROSE
etc etc.

i knew there was a reason you were on my ignored list. apparrently we've met before, and apparrently i didn't like you then, either.

i asked all my lanwhore friends, ((all avid pc users, im the odd one out)) and none of them play rose, whatever ragnarok is, or tiberian sun.

games they do play are: halflife + cs, battlefield + dc, nfsu 1+2, quake 3, starcraft brood, warcraft FT, halo, and bontago.

games from that list i can't use on my mac ((without an emulator)): halflife + cs and bontago.

http://www.apple.com/games/

in conclusion, the only thing you proved is that you like to play games that aren't mac native.

thanks for listening to my explanation, jerk.

lol, im on your ignored list..thats cool...though i don't particularly care
and just because your lan friends are avid pc gamers doesn't mean they have to know about every game there is
command and conquer and red alert are two of the most successful RTS game series ever published.
i listend to your explination, and its not my fault you were wrong on a few points that i called you on (percieved invincibility of the mac, and lack of viruses)
im really easy to get along with actually, and calling me a jerk is kinda funny.
as for last time...well i've never spoken to you before.....ever.
there is one thing that irratates me though
its mac cultists. hell i hate linux and windows cultists too.
but it seems that owning a mac is like a religion, and you have to convert the non-belivers.
hell, i owned a mac, and i'd buy one again.
but im not going to run around telling everybody that a mac is the almighty solution to what ailes you.
nor would i go around saying windows or linux are the almighty solution to your problems, and i wouldn't be a participant of the "computing is a religion" lifestyle.

im sorry you don't like me, truly.
but this is not the place to say "i thought there was a reason you were ignored...must have no liked you then either" etc. its not appropriate for this kind of discussion, and can only lead to hurt feelings, and further escalate into full fledged verbal fueds.
save the personal feelings to PM and leave the tech discussion here.
fin-
s4f3 m0d3
but im not going to run around telling everybody that a mac is the almighty solution to what ailes you.

yeah, well i would. meh.
Mac Guy
s4f3 m0d3

Yes...last year's potential "OMG this might happen" virus was quite a scare.
s4f3 m0d3

At least all the updates tell you what the hell it's going to do to your computer, also, apple releases patches for bugs that nobody even knows about yet. In the end, every OS has security issues. The thing is just how many of them there actually are.
s4f3 m0d3

But are any actually written for Mac? .exe files and such can't really execute themselves on a Mac, can't they?
s4f3 m0d3

using a computer should be fun anyway! blaugh
s4f3 m0d3

I'm so proud of people like you.

well what i meant wasn't exe files.
macro viruses are platform independent
as are any cpu hoggy file createy jave applications.
though not technically viruses, its not that hard to write a program for mac that makes annoying s**t happen to the end user, and thats the point i wanted to make.

and .exe is just an extension for executable binary
executable binarys exist on mac, they just arn't called .exe
French Horny
s4f3 m0d3

yeah, well i would. meh.

oh, as an aside, gaia has an entire subforum dedicated to ragnarok.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff