Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Capitalist

I would not consider myself too techy. I can problem solve myself out of mindless errors and replacing some whatnot parts but I've never attempted to build something from scratch but from what Ive read it's not that hard.

My desktop is like 7+ years old and its going kaput.
I was using this as a "buy these parts- put it together" guide for it's $1600 Intel Build

My general range is 1.7k or less. It's going to be for gaming mainly and artsy things like photoshop plus your run-of-the-mill regular stuff (social media, internet browsing, music, etc)

Do you recommend their build, or could you suggest something better or perhaps same build- slightly different parts? I would try to look up other parts or even other cases but I have NO CLUE whats compatible with what so I dare not try. Anything is helpful, Im not dead set on anything in particular at this time. I had been looking at Alienware as well as some other computers but realized how extremely expensive all those were and thats just stupid for the sake of some light up LEDs.

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
That build looks pretty decent on its own. Unless you have specific wants or needs that are unsatisfied by those parts I wouldn't recommend changing anything.

As far as picking cases, it's pretty easy. The biggest factor will typical be the motherboard. On the page for the motherboard look up it's Form Factor. In this case "ATX". Then on the page for the case check out which motherboard types it's compatible with. This one lists "Micro ATX / ATX / ITX". That's pretty much all you have to do. The NZXT case looks like a pretty nice one, from a builder perspective. Good cooling, lots of space, and cable management built in.
That build looks fine to me. Really, all you need to care about is what Sitwon said. But if you're still not so fond of picking your own parts, here's an amazing PC build generator. It takes your country, price, and a few other options into account. It is also updated very often.

http://www.choosemypc.net/
The build will depend a lot on how much graphics you are trying to render on your games. Saying "you want a PC for gaming" is very broad when it comes to picking parts. Though having the specific budget specified will definitely be a huge plus.

Given that you prefer this to use for gaming as well, I do have a few questions

1. Which specific games do you plan to play? Do you plan to play those games at the highest graphical settings?

2. How many monitors do you plan to use? What resolution? 1080p? 1440p? Remember that the more monitors you try to use and/or the higher the resolution, the more powerful your graphic card/s need to be.

Remember too that just because you have a decent computer, picking a case isn't exclusively a personal preference. You also have to review the case (case's airflow direction, cable management, how many fans can you include). Ideally, you want as much air going into your case to cool your components, which means you might have to buy additional case fans as well for your case.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff