Welcome to Gaia! ::

So I have cable internet, 3megabit or so I belive it is.

We pay for it, as well as renting our modem.

With a quick froogle search, I saw prices comparable to what our monthly cable bill is... so I figured that I could get something decent that will last me a few years, and thats one more bill that I dont have to pay (the rental, not the connection. blaugh ) Rental is only 5 bucks a month, so its like buying the same old modem over the course of the year. I dunno about you, but I would rather buy something once if I can, rather than re-pay for it every year.

So I looked at a few and I realized I have no idea what I should be looking for, as this is a new area of hardware for me.

I only need a modem, I have a very nice Netgear wifi&wired router that I got last year, so I dont need built in router (if they come like that) and I would prefer something non usb, since everything does go through the router as it is, and there are 3+ computers on it.

So, questions:

What do I need to be looking for for specs?

Does it really matter if I stick with name brands, such as netgear, linksys, etc?

What if anything, do you recomend?

Thanks for your time. heart

...and I thought I was in main C&T. Oh well, Ill get less spamy fanboy posts here.

EDIT: For clarification.
Do you want a built in router? Wired or wireless?
Kiretsu

I only need a modem, I have a very nice Netgear wifi router that I got last year, so I dont need built in router (if they come like that) and I would prefer something non usb, since everything does go through the router as it is.

wink

I should mention its a wired/wifi router, not just wireless like the post implies.

So no wifi on it, I have that covered with previously purchased equipment. Just need the incoming/outgoing bit.
Renting may still work out better for you, depending on if your cable company will replace your modem if it becomes faulty, sure buying may seem cheaper, but if when your modem breaks you have to pay out for a new one, it doesn't seem quite so cheap then.
Good point, actually.

That is definetly something to look into. As well as warranties.
Just FYI....

I've been using a Sufboard SB4100 for about... hell, four years now... and it never has any problems. Even considering I bought it at the premium price of $150, I would have since paid out more in rental fees than I paid for the modem. Even if it died tomorrow, I'd have saved money on the proposition.

Right now, cable modems of the Surfboard variety retail at about $75 after rebates. With modem rental at $5 a month, and assuming you can get at least 4 years out of it (most likely more, honestly), you'll be better off buying it.

It also bears mentioning that the hardware has a warranty that is good for two years, so if it craps out you'll have recourse.

IRL Gaian

I'll also toss my $0.02 into the mix:

Not all cable modems are compatible with all cable providers, either...

I have a SB4100 provided by my ISP, and, they custom loaded firmware (they either designed themself, or paid Motorola to do for 'em) that locks it into their settings. My other DOCSIS compliant cable modem mysteriously doesn't work on their network, either... Can't aquire downstream channels...

They also don't charge me a rental fee, so, this may be why I'm locked into using their hardware... But my point is, be careful with this, as, you don't want to buy something that you can't use at a later date, either...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff