Welcome to Gaia! ::

this may have been brought up before but here it goes anyways

which language is better for what? i am looking to learn one of them for making a large-scale MMORPG (like diablo II, Ragnarok, Everquest, etc)

Which one is better for this and also....what is the best program for doing 3D visual backgrounds/effects for spells, etc
What's the main difference between Java and C++?

C++ is more expensive (time and/or money) to develop, Java is more expensive to run (higher overhead), especially as high-load server.

I'd say, go for C++ for server, for client it do not matter that much.

EDIT: for 3d effects, you may want to use PovRay or Blender.
Hudelf
this may have been brought up before but here it goes anyways

which language is better for what? i am looking to learn one of them for making a large-scale MMORPG (like diablo II, Ragnarok, Everquest, etc)

Which one is better for this and also....what is the best program for doing 3D visual backgrounds/effects for spells, etc

um...no comment? You DO know that to make a large scale MMO would take a whole team of people.....I mean literally. Making games is tedious. You cna make your own little games and stuff, but i dont imagine any being an MMO or anything like that. Also, in my oopnion C++ allows more freedom in the functions but is also(in my opinion) harder to learn. Im taking a java class right now and to make a drawing in the java applet is actually very simple. Not bashing java, but in C++ it takes a lot of commands to even bring up a window using the windows API. I dont know a lot about java, so i cant really add input on javas side. Though I will say this, java does seem to be a little more tedious with its programs in terms of even printing something on the dos screen. In C++ put
cout<<"whatever";
in java put
System.out.print("whatever " wink ;
to me its abit more longer in typing, but I guess if I knew java a bit better i can add more useful input. I would say go with java, if you want to make something quickly and be proud of your results. However, c++ is a good language to learn.
dexen_of_wroclaw
What's the main difference between Java and C++?

C++ is more expensive (time and/or money) to develop, Java is more expensive to run (higher overhead), especially as high-load server.

I'd say, go for C++ for server, for client it do not matter that much.

EDIT: for 3d effects, you may want to use PovRay or Blender.

I think this is what you should do aswell. Java should also make it easier to port to different systems (alternatively- PSP/N DS, depending on how they'll develop in the coming months)

Newbie Noob

If you can't tell the difference between Java and C++, you're not making a large scale MMORPG anytime soon. xd

Hilarious Businesswoman

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Market Browser 100
  • Consumer 100
Slutty_Eddie
If you can't tell the difference between Java and C++, you're not making a large scale MMORPG anytime soon. xd

Seconded domokun
kholdstare121
um...no comment? You DO know that to make a large scale MMO would take a whole team of people.....I mean literally.

Well, it doesn't really take a large team but a team nevertheless. A game like Metal Gear Solid 3 it took a small team of maybe 20 to design and program the entire game (not withstanding the characters voices, character designers, and such.)

But it would at the least need more than 5.
I think your question was answered in the last thread you made, C++ for developing games. Anyways if you want to know what you need for a design team, let me give you an example:

Writers (Wether it be design, storyboards, dialog, or instructions)
Algorithm Planners (they have to understand the rules of the game, and the math behind the game to make it balanced)
Programmers (For a large scale, it takes more than one, trust me.)
Artist
Editors (Usually the same group as writers actually)
Graphic Designers
Sound Editors

Finally you need someone who can organize it well, the Producer (Aka Production Head), usually the creator of the game concept, and directs the others, while sharing a good portion of the workload themselves.

Game production is not an easy task now, it's no longer easy to sell simple games a single person can make, but instead takes effort and teamwork.

I guess I'll second DarkClouds, Eddies, and kholdstare121's comments.

Newbie Noob

DarkCloudMX
kholdstare121
um...no comment? You DO know that to make a large scale MMO would take a whole team of people.....I mean literally.

Well, it doesn't really take a large team but a team nevertheless. A game like Metal Gear Solid 3 it took a small team of maybe 20 to design and program the entire game (not withstanding the characters voices, character designers, and such.)

But it would at the least need more than 5.
Metal Gear Solid 3 is not a MMORPG. XD

Honestly, a small number of people can run a Shard of UO or a MUD or even start Gaia, but not a large scale MMORPG, like the poster wanted.
Because you are learning to program, learn java first. c++ is faster and lighter, but java is a little easier to understand. Also, the java compiler is strict, so it will catch most bugs before you run a program. c++ lets you compile anything, so it is hard to find out where you went wrong. also, an mmorpg is a very big task. stick with programming pong and snake in java first, then mabye learn c++ later on and join a project team or contribute to an open source game like Planeshift.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff