Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Lunatic

So, my nephew has a x-box 360 that has a "no disc" error or similar not sure what it is... too lazy to swap out the drives right now...
I ordered a philips brand as it was the same as the one that was in there... but come to realize they're not the same, now I'm getting another error. "To Play this disc, put it in a Xbox 360 console."

The original drive was f'd... a Philips Ben-q drive, so I ordered a Philips drive, but it's Lite-on which is not the same...

So Question is...
1. Is it worth it to fix it or just buy a new one? (issue is just the dvd drive)
2. Where are some of the the better places to order parts (and I'm not ordering on e-bay or amazon, don't suggest them, I tried e-bay, never got the part, the place I ordered the drive from after this last week, doesn't have the ben-q drive or I'd send this one back to them and have them send me a ben-q drive)

PS. I ordered the Lite-on drive from Gaming Generations which is not bad, they got the drive to me in 4 days... better than the e-bay seller which never got me the drive at all... gonk

so thoughts and suggestions of where I could order parts like these, other than e-bay/amazon, is appreciated.

and yes I realize I should've checked... but I kinda just woke up when I ordered the part... so I will check to make sure it is the same drive as before (as I have heard swapping them works, just to make sure it's the same exact kind of drive, though if you've heard other stories or thoughts.... let me know that too)

4,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I'm going to assume it isn't under warranty, so that's out the window. If you try to replace it, make sure it's with a drive that reads HD-DVDs as that's what the X360 uses as it's game media. On the whole, it's easier to repair it (compatibility-wise) than replace it. Here is a replacement lens for the Philips BENQ drive. Disc read errors usually are because of a faulty lens.

However, if you aren't confident in component level repairing, then I'd recommend just replacing the whole drive. This is a replacement Philips BENQ drive. Just replacing the whole drive has the benefit that no matter what's the problem with the drive, it'll be fixed. It's also simpler to do, and involves the least risk.

Shameless Enabler

Kigolorez
If you try to replace it, make sure it's with a drive that reads HD-DVDs as that's what the X360 uses as it's game media.
The 360 does not use HD-DVD. Microsoft released an HD-DVD player accessory for the console, but otherwise it uses normal DVD media. They didn't commit to HD-DVD nearly as strongly as Sony did with Blu-ray.

4,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
nouveau sereph
Kigolorez
If you try to replace it, make sure it's with a drive that reads HD-DVDs as that's what the X360 uses as it's game media.
The 360 does not use HD-DVD. Microsoft released an HD-DVD player accessory for the console, but otherwise it uses normal DVD media. They didn't commit to HD-DVD nearly as strongly as Sony did with Blu-ray.

Ahh, well I'm sure the parts I linked are still viable at least. Thank you for pointing this out, I don't have too much experience with the Microsoft systems overall, so I assumed the HD-DVD aspect because SONY uses the BD. That was carelessness on my part.

Aged Gaian

Kigolorez
nouveau sereph
Kigolorez

Ahh, well I'm sure the parts I linked are still viable at least. Thank you for pointing this out, I don't have too much experience with the Microsoft systems overall, so I assumed the HD-DVD aspect because SONY uses the BD. That was carelessness on my part.

They were originally going to include the HD-DVD, but they ended up making an add-on HD-DVD drive that no one bought because no one uses HD-DVD.

But, yeah, you learn something new everyday.
chaos.ultima.mage
Kigolorez
nouveau sereph
Kigolorez

They were originally going to include the HD-DVD, but they ended up making an add-on HD-DVD drive that no one bought because no one uses HD-DVD.

But, yeah, you learn something new everyday.

i've got the HD player, it's glorious.

Aged Gaian

Doctor Four

What's even more glorious is still having to buy movies on regular DVD / Blu-Ray because they no longer make new movies for HD-DVD.
chaos.ultima.mage
Doctor Four

What's even more glorious is still having to buy movies on regular DVD / Blu-Ray because they no longer make new movies for HD-DVD.

i stopped purchasing movies when they killed off hd-dvd.

yet i can still watch the latest releases in high def.

Aged Gaian

Tadpole Jackson
chaos.ultima.mage
Doctor Four

i stopped purchasing movies when they killed off hd-dvd.

yet i can still watch the latest releases in high def.

But, so can the rest of us without having to say that we wasted money on HD-DVD stuff.

Hell, you don't need a Blu-Ray player or even a Blu-Ray disc to watch the latest movies in HD. The internet is a glorious thing. Much more so than HD-DVD, to be sure.

Dapper Lunatic

Kigolorez
I'm going to assume it isn't under warranty, so that's out the window. If you try to replace it, make sure it's with a drive that reads HD-DVDs as that's what the X360 uses as it's game media. On the whole, it's easier to repair it (compatibility-wise) than replace it. Here is a replacement lens for the Philips BENQ drive. Disc read errors usually are because of a faulty lens.

However, if you aren't confident in component level repairing, then I'd recommend just replacing the whole drive. This is a replacement Philips BENQ drive. Just replacing the whole drive has the benefit that no matter what's the problem with the drive, it'll be fixed. It's also simpler to do, and involves the least risk.

warranty is shot... bought back in like 2007... I would love to just replace the lens as I could probably do it, though in my original post I failed to mention that the drive tray also jams constantly... so probably just going to swap the drive out completely...

and yeah it's not HD.

Also, the Gaming Generations guy replied to me and said to send the one back since it errors and that they should have the BENQ in this week... though... I'm half tempted to just order a refurbished 20GB console from Gamestop for $100 as this one is only a 9GB... and the Drive itself is $45 with shipping... so I spend about double, and just get a somewhat new system... though debating... I think this one has had a RROD but has been fixed. I'm leery about refurbished ones... unless it's specifically Microsoft Certified refurbished...

thanks for the reply

and on a side question:
Has anyone actually switched a drive physically in the console and it worked fully?
I've heard the error I'm getting usually means repair, or new xbox, but would replacing the drive even fix it?

4,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
As long as the replacement model matches what was in it, it should function fine. What do you think they do when Microsoft "refurbishes" their units? They usually are replacing shot drives or fried boards.

If the disc tray is shot, it's cheaper to replace the whole drive or just replace the unit. As for getting a refurbished unit to replace it, there are some options. If you feel like tooling around, it may be cheaper to order a larger HDD with the BENQ than purchasing the refurb unit. It's up to you what road to go. If you factor in ease of service, then replacing with a refurb unit is generally easier since GS most likely will transfer the data for you or possibly offer a discounted rate if you bring the unit you have to them. Look into that.
I know how to fix that and honestly its worth it but it takes some tinkering to do so.
Gamestop is selling refurb 360's for $100 so I'd just get another one.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff