Welcome to Gaia! ::

Spooky Phantom

21,500 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
  • Trick or Treat 100
nicotine
It's an Apple conspiracy. My friend's iPod has been acting up lately too. The way I see it is that they have a built in timer to make the iPods hate PC's on a certain date. Then since all the people love their iPods they can't part with it and are forced to buy a Macintosh.

CONSPIRACY I SAY

That's not just a theory: it's true! Or at least, I think so from the service a friend of mine received. She was having trouble getting her brand-new iPod and her computer to recognize each other, so she called the tech support. The guy told her that the only way for her to fix the problem was to purchase a Mac! eek

(she later got it working...in Linux)
theres a few free pc only ipod agents you might wanna try out..
I know tha Mac has them, but not sure on windows. If you have the iPod updater, use it to refresh it or restore it to factory+recent updates. This will make it like it just came out of the box. Let your computer recognize it and you can resync your iPod with iTunes.

Have you tried Apple Care (1-800-apl-care)?
mostlyharmless
You could try booting your iPod into the utility mode ( I don't know what it is on the latest ones, but after you restart hold the center button and some others, on 2nd and 3rd gen it is "Center" "Next" "Prev." all at the same time. ) or disk mode ( like before, i don't know what it is on 4th gen, but it is "Next" and "Prev." on the older iPods. )
DUDE! You saved my a**! Your method worked fine. 3nodding
Unplug the iPod. Put it to sleep, then hold the center button until you see the Apple icon, then plug it back in and press and hold the center button again (Ipod Mini user here btw.)
I'm having the EXACT same problem. It happened after I uploaded Dance With Intensity onto my iPod so I could move it from my laptop to my computer. I don't know if that's the problem, but anyone who knows what to do in this case please let me know via PM cause I don't know when the next time I'll be on is gonk
Thanks smile
You could try booting your iPod into the utility mode ( I don't know what it is on the latest ones, but after you restart hold the center button and some others, on 2nd and 3rd gen it is "Center" "Next" "Prev." all at the same time. ) or disk mode ( like before, i don't know what it is on 4th gen, but it is "Next" and "Prev." on the older iPods. )
try going into task manager and ending ituneshelper and ipodhelper (I think that's what they are called, im on a mac right now) and see if that helps. Also, try to get your hands on a copy of iTunes 4.6. It works a LOT better than 4.7 does. Try to apple forums for that..
Oh no, they found us out!

Try deleting all your preference folders. You can even search for iTunes and delete everything that comes up. After your sure "everything" is deleted, then try to install a clean copy. If it still doesn't work, well... I dont know what the problem is.
It's an Apple conspiracy. My friend's iPod has been acting up lately too. The way I see it is that they have a built in timer to make the iPods hate PC's on a certain date. Then since all the people love their iPods they can't part with it and are forced to buy a Macintosh.

CONSPIRACY I SAY
WhiteSavage
Yes... If its charging that chances are, its not the Cable. I'm guessing you used both USB and Firewire adapters?

And also, are you running Windows or OS X?

yeah I'm on windows
Yes... If its charging that chances are, its not the Cable. I'm guessing you used both USB and Firewire adapters?

And also, are you running Windows or OS X?
Thanks, guys.

I checked my device manager, and it says all of my USB ports are alright, so I'm wondering if it's just the cable. Though I dunno why it still charges...at least thats a good thing.
On a PC you may have a bad USB port, check in your Device Manager.

Try moving the USB cable to another port, or try using a different cable. On a Mac or PC with both USB and Firewire, try using the other port from the one you are using.
Try deleting your preference file for iTunes and iSync.
Have you tried synching it with iSync yet? If your iSync doesn't recognize your iPod then it may be a bad preference file.

I dont know if this is constant with Mac and only Mac... and I dont know if you are on a Mac. But Macs use cache files for familiar programs so they can operate faster, when the entire program is deleted, and another one installed. This cache file, preferences, etc, can stay the same and true to OS X will recognize the new installation and start chugging. So maybe one of your cache files are corrupted.

I had a similar problem with Call of Duty. smile

P.S. Hey look. I beat Kiretsu! eek eek surprised xd wink
Losing my proverbial tech forum virginity here, so excuse my ignorance if there is a specific place for trouble shooting threads...now then...

..iPod buffs...I grovel at your feet for help...

It seems iTunes isn't recognising my iPod anymore. First instinct was to close iTunes, then try agian. Nope. So I completley reinstalled iTunes. Nadda. So I deleted everything and reinstalled it all with the disk that came with my iPod. Nothing. Now, when plugged into my computer, the iPod will charge, but I no longer get an icon saying its plugged in, and it no longer shows up on iTunes.

Any suggestions?

Thank you heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas