<3 </3

intel 0.47058823529412 47.1% [ 8 ]
AMD 0.52941176470588 52.9% [ 9 ]
Total Votes:[ 17 ]
1 2 >

Quotable Noob

The age old question.
Versus threads aren't permitted here.
AMD gets you more performance for your money and a longer lifespan out of your mobo

Intel gets you more performance per watt and their CPUs get way more efficient over time

So, as with any unqualified question about computers, the answer is "it depends".

BlueInkOgre's Pardner

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Halfy Demon
ARM
This is not even funny. Go away.
The20
Halfy Demon
ARM
I think it's ******** hilarious.

My vote is on OpenRISC.
psychic stalker
The20
Halfy Demon
ARM
I think it's ******** hilarious.

My vote is on OpenRISC.
Very well then. I shall introduce Cyrix into the fray.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
The20
Very well then. I shall introduce Cyrix into the fray.

Oh s**t, now that's a blast from the past. They really didn't last long.

I make a vote on CISC CPUs because I love complex instructions.

I'll get my coat.

Newbie Member

7,400 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Voter 100
AMD. I've had bad 2 different Intel CPUs and both couldn't handle the work load and died before they were 1 year old.
Resistance_2012
AMD. I've had bad 2 different Intel CPUs and both couldn't handle the work load and died before they were 1 year old.
No CPU simply dies because of too much work. Maybe the cooling was defect/insufficient.

Newbie Member

7,400 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Voter 100
The20
Resistance_2012
No CPU simply dies because of too much work. Maybe the cooling was defect/insufficient.
How can there not be enough cooling? The AMD computer that I built used the same case using the same fans ontop of the CPU drew more power but ran cooler.

I never overclock so I know that's not the problem.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Resistance_2012
The20
Resistance_2012
How can there not be enough cooling? The AMD computer that I built used the same case using the same fans ontop of the CPU drew more power but ran cooler.

Companies sometimes cheap out on cooling fans, using fans that are inadequate for the job.

Different CPUs run at different temperatures and thus require different cooling. That's why the mobile lines of CPUs were devised - to run cooler and thus cause less "oh ******** my lap is on fire" type issues.

Newbie Member

7,400 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Voter 100
Lanackse-Kanvae
Resistance_2012
The20
Resistance_2012

Companies sometimes cheap out on cooling fans, using fans that are inadequate for the job.

Different CPUs run at different temperatures and thus require different cooling. That's why the mobile lines of CPUs were devised - to run cooler and thus cause less "oh ******** my lap is on fire" type issues.
Interesting but they were desktop computers
Resistance_2012
Lanackse-Kanvae
Resistance_2012
The20
Resistance_2012

Interesting but they were desktop computers

Very highly unlikely that those processors died in any way. The hard drive dying on the other hand is far more likely. Also, Intel introduced safety features into their processors long before AMD.

There's a famous video from Tom's Hardware where they run an Intel and AMD processor without a heatsink to see what happens. The Intel system downclocks like crazy if not shuts itself off but it walks away from that just fine. Meanwhile the AMD chip fries itself.

BlueInkOgre's Pardner

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
The20
Halfy Demon
ARM
Dismissing ARM is such a short sighted thing to do. Intel certainly isn't doing it anymore.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff