Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
So I'm in the market for gaming headphones, because what I have right now just isn't cutting it. My birthday is coming up in May and I already know how it's gonna turn out, which is my friends getting together to buy me $150 worth of whatever. So that's a hard cap for me, including shipping, as I'm a broke mother ********.

Also I'd prefer it to be USB-powered if possible, but that's not a requirement. Just a very much preferred method of PC molestation.

Razer's Banshee is the only thing I've found so far that's not turtle beach (don't ask) and fits within my budget. Admittedly, I haven't looked too hard.

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
As I mentioned in a different thread this week, USB headsets are usually full of fail. I you REALLY need USB, buy a stand-alone USB audio card and connect a good analog headset to that.

What's a good analog headset? Something like this.

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
Sitwon
As I mentioned in a different thread this week, USB headsets are usually full of fail. I you REALLY need USB, buy a stand-alone USB audio card and connect a good analog headset to that.

It prefer it to be USB so I can plug it into my macbook with minimal crap involved, but if I can find one that's just total badassary encompassed in a headset I'll overlook the USB preference. What you've linked is a good contender. :3
Sonic Offline
Sitwon

It prefer it to be USB so I can plug it into my macbook with minimal crap involved, but if I can find one that's just total badassary encompassed in a headset I'll overlook the USB preference. What you've linked is a good contender. :3
The reason you don't want USB is that USB typically runs off of whatever is built in to the motherboard with absolute disregard to whether or not there's a better sound card actually in the computer itself. Even laptops with integrated sound cards provide lesser quality through the USB port as they do through the actual audio port. On top of that, running your sound through USB takes up internal bandwidth and soaks up CPU processor time rather than your using your sound card processor. It may make a miniscule difference, but it does slow your system.

Using the audio jack on your computer just has its benefits, even if it is less convenient.
l_Shamrock_l
Sonic Offline
Sitwon

The reason you don't want USB is that USB typically runs off of whatever is built in to the motherboard with absolute disregard to whether or not there's a better sound card actually in the computer itself. Even laptops with integrated sound cards provide lesser quality through the USB port as they do through the actual audio port. On top of that, running your sound through USB takes up internal bandwidth and soaks up CPU processor time rather than your using your sound card processor. It may make a miniscule difference, but it does slow your system.

Using the audio jack on your computer just has its benefits, even if it is less convenient.
neutral

My understanding was that USB speakers show up as a completely separate audio device, which is one of the reasons why they can cause such a hassle. Audio isn't designed to be passed out through USB, so the headphones/speakers themselves have a built-in audio controller. You're not using a sound card at that point, you are only using the headphones.

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
l_Shamrock_l
Sonic Offline
Sitwon

That's not it at all.

Using USB does bypass the internal sound card, but it's not using "whatever is built into the motherboard" (which would be the integrated sound card anyways). It's because USB headsets have their own sound card built-in to the cord. They are basically a cheap USB sound card with a permanently attached headset.

The reason it often sounds worse is because they DAC they use in most USB headsets is typically cheaper and crappier than the DAC used by the integrated sound card on high-end laptops (like a MacBook). That may or may not be the case with premium USB headsets like Razer's product, but you still might have issues with the device drivers which are often buggy from unnecessary "features" and complexity.

And yes, using USB anything will consume some CPU time, but it's really so little that it would never matter. The amount of bandwidth needed for real-time audio is minuscule, it wouldn't slow down your system AT ALL because those cycles would have just been wasted anyways.
Sitwon
l_Shamrock_l
Sonic Offline
Sitwon

That's not it at all.

Using USB does bypass the internal sound card, but it's not using "whatever is built into the motherboard" (which would be the integrated sound card anyways). It's because USB headsets have their own sound card built-in to the cord. They are basically a cheap USB sound card with a permanently attached headset.

The reason it often sounds worse is because they DAC they use in most USB headsets is typically cheaper and crappier than the DAC used by the integrated sound card on high-end laptops (like a MacBook). That may or may not be the case with premium USB headsets like Razer's product, but you still might have issues with the device drivers which are often buggy from unnecessary "features" and complexity.

And yes, using USB anything will consume some CPU time, but it's really so little that it would never matter. The amount of bandwidth needed for real-time audio is minuscule, it wouldn't slow down your system AT ALL because those cycles would have just been wasted anyways.
I'm fairly new to working with sound cards, so the info's appreciated.
I recently got me a pair of these, and I'm extremely happy with them. They work out as somewhere between £75 and £105, so hopefully they'd fit within your budget. I couldn't find any US prices for them, since I kept getting redirected to UK sites.

The only thing I would say is, if you can find a shop nearby with a display pair, try them on. They're meant to be circumaural, but my ears are a little big for them and end up getting crushed. I'm probably going to modify them and put new pads on. Sound-wise, however, they're ******** excellent. And the microphone is beautiful.

Also, best of both worlds - they're analogue headphones with an included USB sound device.

Dangerous Trader

As I've said before, I bought this for my gaming, I wanted the buttons on the side so I could control vent or my media player with it while in a different room. USB sound, around the ear (on the ear isn't comfortable for long playtimes for me), and customizable buttons on the side of my head, along with volume control and a mute. A serious con to this one is the huge usb dongle that comes with it. I put it in my laptop while I'm mowing the lawn and I have managed to slam it into the screen door.

A slightly less pricier version but with less usefulness: the same thing with no wireless capabilities. At this point I feel the buttons are slightly redundant if you have a gaming keyboard.

That Sennheiser one somebody else linked looks good, i didn't see a price on the page but I've heard a lot of good things about Sennheiser on the /mu/sic board.

I don't feel the razer's Actions Per Minute lighting is really what you want out of your headphones, maybe it's just me.

On the whole I'm untrusting of headphone's connecting bands if I haven't worn them myself.
I suggest Logitech G930. GREAT noise cancelation, great quality, clear microphone, your music can go LOUD, 7.1 surround sound (so I can know where an enemy is exactly just by two footsteps), and it's wireless (but when it dies down, you can plug it in by Mini-USB, and it charges while you play. Or you could just keep it plugged in if you prefer)

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
Sometimes I hate my friends. I showed them this thread while I was thinking about what I wanted, and they saw my original link in the OP, and now they're dead-set on buying that.

-_-

Dangerous Trader

Sonic Offline
Sometimes I hate my friends. I showed them this thread while I was thinking about what I wanted, and they saw my original link in the OP, and now they're dead-set on buying that.

-_-

When life gives you APM-light-craving friends, craft a friends-powered death laser and shoot life in the face.

Edit: There's a rant here about effort nobody will ever see unless you go to a LAN party, and then you're just a Hot Topic goth. Fill in the details, I'm sure you've heard this before.

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
Ryuke Dragon
Sonic Offline

-_-

When life gives you APM-light-craving friends, craft a friends-powered death laser and shoot life in the face.

Edit: There's a rant here about effort nobody will ever see unless you go to a LAN party, and then you're just a Hot Topic goth. Fill in the details, I'm sure you've heard this before.
Yeah, I have. I mean, the headset does "look cool" it's just function should be more important, which is why I asked for opinions instead of settling on them.

Looks like my friends settled for me :c

Dangerous Trader

Sonic Offline
Ryuke Dragon
Sonic Offline

-_-

Yeah, I have. I mean, the headset does "look cool" it's just function should be more important, which is why I asked for opinions instead of settling on them.

Looks like my friends settled for me :c

Edit: If they're getting you the Banshee then there's nothing besides the tiamat 7.1 from their product line that's better.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff