Welcome to Gaia! ::

I do not know what kind to get
Something that is a 2x AGP and works nicely is the GeForce TI4200 128mb VRAM
2x? Well, you can get an nVidia GeForceFX 5200 /w 128ram (or 256, not really needed though). or, you could get a Radeon All-In-Wonder card. most of them (least up to the 9800) will work on a 2x slot. the reg. 9800 video card however, will not work as far as I know. Just the AIW.
with 2x, you're looking at bottlenecks all over the board.. So, I'd go with a geforce 5200. Save some cash, get some speed and dx9 capability. Then, i'd save my pennies and buy a new mobo. wink
Twistex
with 2x, you're looking at bottlenecks all over the board.. So, I'd go with a geforce 5200. Save some cash, get some speed and dx9 capability. Then, i'd save my pennies and buy a new mobo. wink

Actually the AGP bus isn't even fully used yet, anything over 1x is wasted most of the time, as is the PCI-E bus.

He would see maybe 1-5 fps difference, then only time the AGP bus is used is when you run out of video ram, which for the most part, doesn't happen.
[Broken Hope]
Twistex

Actually the AGP bus isn't even fully used yet, anything over 1x is wasted most of the time, as is the PCI-E bus.

He would see maybe 1-5 fps difference, then only time the AGP bus is used is when you run out of video ram, which for the most part, doesn't happen.

Damn that sounds like a recycle of some of my old posts. Yeah, AGP 4x and 8x aren't fully utilized. 1x and 2x are fully utilized by newer cards and boards, just not to the point of AGP being your bottleneck. I never said agp was the bottleneck, since I was referring to SDRAM, or general ram capabilities on the mobo, also, fsb speeds on a board that old.. Geez, I can't even think of a recent baord that's had less than an 8x agp spec. The oldest board I ahve is a p-3 slot 1 with agp 2x. The videocard is the least of the issues there.
Twistex
[Broken Hope]
Twistex

Damn that sounds like a recycle of some of my old posts. Yeah, AGP 4x and 8x aren't fully utilized. 1x and 2x are fully utilized by newer cards and boards, just not to the point of AGP being your bottleneck. I never said agp was the bottleneck, since I was referring to SDRAM, or general ram capabilities on the mobo, also, fsb speeds on a board that old.. Geez, I can't even think of a recent baord that's had less than an 8x agp spec. The oldest board I ahve is a p-3 slot 1 with agp 2x. The videocard is the least of the issues there.

Oh I agree with a machine only capable of AGP 2x the rest of the hardware is going to be old, it just looked like you were saying the AGP would be causing the bottleneck.
Yeah, I can see how it sounded that way.. No worries.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff