Welcome to Gaia! ::

Minion4Hire
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
An i7 at a lower clock would be faster than an i5 at a higher clock because i7s have hyperthreading while i5 only have turbo boost. An FX 8150 @4.8GHz shits all over a stock i7, but again, the i7 is at stock

Hyperthreading only offers an advantage if the application in question supports multiple threads. The vast majority do not, certainly not upwards of 8 threads. Many games are only optimized for two cores. Developers cater to the lowest common denominator.

As for overclocking, Bulldozer at 4.8 GHz performs worse than an i5-2500 at stock when gaming, and only offers equivalent performance when video editing, a highly parallel task. The fact of the matter is that clock-for-clock Bulldozer is not impressive. Overclocking would only be beneficial to Bulldozer if it were capable of substantially higher clocks than Sandy Bridge, which it isn't. My 2700K runs 4.8 GHz smoothly.

An FX 8150 @ 4.8 GHz is overall (less than) equivalent to a Core i5-2500 @ 3.3 GHz.

Incorrect, many games of 2012 require 4 cores for "acceptable" play. I can't play BF3 on a dual core and get 30fps on medium, which is unsubstantial. Anything higher than an i5 for gaming is overkill imho. i7 is really for video editing, streaming, things that as you stated support multiple threads(as Sony Vegas did not, they updated a few months back to support it, as have a couple games). I've seen people stream BF3 just fine on an i5 anyways.
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
Minion4Hire
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
An i7 at a lower clock would be faster than an i5 at a higher clock because i7s have hyperthreading while i5 only have turbo boost. An FX 8150 @4.8GHz shits all over a stock i7, but again, the i7 is at stock

Hyperthreading only offers an advantage if the application in question supports multiple threads. The vast majority do not, certainly not upwards of 8 threads. Many games are only optimized for two cores. Developers cater to the lowest common denominator.

As for overclocking, Bulldozer at 4.8 GHz performs worse than an i5-2500 at stock when gaming, and only offers equivalent performance when video editing, a highly parallel task. The fact of the matter is that clock-for-clock Bulldozer is not impressive. Overclocking would only be beneficial to Bulldozer if it were capable of substantially higher clocks than Sandy Bridge, which it isn't. My 2700K runs 4.8 GHz smoothly.

An FX 8150 @ 4.8 GHz is overall (less than) equivalent to a Core i5-2500 @ 3.3 GHz.

Incorrect, many games of 2012 require 4 cores for "acceptable" play. I can't play BF3 on a dual core and get 30fps on medium, which is unsubstantial. Anything higher than an i5 for gaming is overkill imho. i7 is really for video editing, streaming, things that as you stated support multiple threads(as Sony Vegas did not, they updated a few months back to support it, as have a couple games). I've seen people stream BF3 just fine on an i5 anyways.
What graphics card were you using when you were playing on said dual core? And what dual core?

"Some" games are optimized for multiple threads. Do you know why "most" are not? Because if you design a game that requires four (or more) concurrent threads to be processed in real time, anyone who can not handle those threads will be barely able (if at all) to play that game. Game developers are not in the business of making games that people can't play. Graphics quality is very easy to scale, but the number of processor threads is not as the processor is handling AI, physics, etc. Scaling that would be the equivalent of writing entirely different game engines for each "thread level".

Can more cores help? Yes. To a point. A quad core is going to offer a performance boost over a dual core in most games if only because background processes can run on underutilized cores, allowing the game to run without interruption. But moving from four to six or eight will do nothing for you in 99% of cases. In the future, as more users have more heavily threaded processors, more and more game developers will take advantage of that. But currently and in the near future, this is not the case.
Minion4Hire
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
Minion4Hire
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X

What graphics card were you using when you were playing on said dual core? And what dual core?

"Some" games are optimized for multiple threads. Do you know why "most" are not? Because if you design a game that requires four (or more) concurrent threads to be processed in real time, anyone who can not handle those threads will be barely able (if at all) to play that game. Game developers are not in the business of making games that people can't play. Graphics quality is very easy to scale, but the number of processor threads is not as the processor is handling AI, physics, etc. Scaling that would be the equivalent of writing entirely different game engines for each "thread level".
i3 2100 and a GTX 570. Friend's system. And you don't need to explain it to me. 0/10

Can more cores help? Yes. To a point. A quad core is going to offer a performance boost over a dual core in most games if only because background processes can run on underutilized cores, allowing the game to run without interruption. But moving from four to six or eight will do nothing for you in 99% of cases. In the future, as more users have more heavily threaded processors, more and more game developers will take advantage of that. But currently and in the near future, this is not the case.
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
Minion4Hire

i3 2100 and a GTX 570. Friend's system. And you don't need to explain it to me. 0/10

Kinda seemed like I did.

And the i3 2100 has hyperthreading. It supports 4 threads. But his system likely has other issues (almost undoubtedly software related) as I have seen lighter-spec'd systems handle BF3 far better than that.
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
Zb
Aven Donn
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
Aven Donn
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
You guysss
AMD FX 8120 (even battlefield 3 won't use 8 on max, it uses at MOST 20%)
GTX 570
Gigabyte 990FX
16GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz
2x SSD 60GB (one OS, one games)
WD 1.5TB Black Caviar
Pick your own case
1000W Silver 80+ PSU (doesn't matter brand, don't skimp it though)
That's 900ish if you buy from newegg. You could get watercooling, and a 240GB SSD and be under budget still.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that would total at around $900.

FX 8120- 169.99
GTX 570- 229.99
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz- 99.99
2x SSD 60GB- 199.99
WD 1.5TB Black Caviar-109.99
1000W PSU- 120.00
All prices from microcenter
Total Price: 929.29
Not 900, a little over. Still sexy af

I wont even bother checking the AMD CPU since I don't know jack s**t about AMD CPUs.

The GPU however, where the hell did you find it for $230 on Newegg? I'm finding it at $300. To get $230, you gotta scroll down and notice, out of stock. Oh and guess what. It's a REFURBISHED card.

The RAM checks out.

The SSDs seem to check out.

The Caviar Black is $150. Not $110.

That PSU seems HORRIBLY underpriced for such a wattage. It should easily cost double as much. And in fact, searching for SeaSonic, one of the most reliable brands, and 1000W, returns a $260 PSU.

So far we're at $1190 and... Notice we're missing a case? A good case like the HAF 922 costs around $90, so we're at $1280. How about a motherboard? Let's throw in a GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 like mine. $120 or so on Newegg. That's $1400. Hardly near $900. (The mobo is meant for 1155 sockets for Intel, but an equivalent for AMD should cost the same)

Now, I know a CPU befitting of such a card would be a 2600k or 2700k. The price of a 2600k is $325. A 2500k like mine is $220. So let's add $325 to our cost, instead of the CPU you presented. (Which is weaker from what I can tell and will just bottleneck that beast of a card)

We're at $1555. Remember, just because a CPU has more cores doesn't mean it's better. Especially if it's AMD you're talking about. And remember this as well. GHz means ALMOST JACK s**t when comparing different generations, ESPECIALLY different companies. And a higher GHz doesn't always mean better CPU. How come an i7 clocks at under 3Ghz yet would outperform my 3.3GHz i5?

Double check my math. Prove me wrong. Tell me if cheaper parts are better. Go ahead. Hell, I'll run the numbers by again.

$325 for CPU
$120 for motherboard, and that's cheap.
$260 for PSU
$100 for RAM
$200 for the SSDs (Why the hell waste so much money on SSDs?)
$150 for the 1.5TB Caviar Black
$300 for the GPU
$80 for the case

Total is $1535, which is $20 under my last calculation, so I might be mistaken. Go ahead, double check.

woops forgot about the mobo. Nothing wrong with a refurb card, just don't OC it. And we all have opinions, just sharing mine. And thanks, im not new to the pc world, no need to be a d**k. An i7 at a lower clock would be faster than an i5 at a higher clock because i7s have hyperthreading while i5 only have turbo boost. An FX 8150 @4.8GHz shits all over a stock i7, but again, the i7 is at stock

Mate, even if we add ignore the mobo, the refurb card and the inferior CPU, you're still above $900. I'm a d**k for pointing out you're wrong? So be it.
Aven Donn
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
Zb
Aven Donn
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
Aven Donn
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
You guysss
GTX 570
Gigabyte 990FX
WD 1.5TB Black Caviar
Pick your own case
That's 900ish if you buy from newegg. You could get watercooling, and a 240GB SSD and be under budget still.

FX 8120- 169.99
GTX 570- 229.99
2x SSD 60GB- 199.99
1000W PSU- 120.00

I wont even bother checking the AMD CPU since I don't know jack s**t about AMD CPUs.

The GPU however, where the hell did you find it for $230 on Newegg? I'm finding it at $300. To get $230, you gotta scroll down and notice, out of stock. Oh and guess what. It's a REFURBISHED card.

The RAM checks out.

That PSU seems HORRIBLY underpriced for such a wattage. It should easily cost double as much. And in fact, searching for SeaSonic, one of the most reliable brands, and 1000W, returns a $260 PSU.

So far we're at $1190 and... Notice we're missing a case? A good case like the HAF 922 costs around $90, so we're at $1280. How about a motherboard? Let's throw in a GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 like mine. $120 or so on Newegg. That's $1400. Hardly near $900. (The mobo is meant for 1155 sockets for Intel, but an equivalent for AMD should cost the same)

Now, I know a CPU befitting of such a card would be a 2600k or 2700k. The price of a 2600k is $325. A 2500k like mine is $220. So let's add $325 to our cost, instead of the CPU you presented. (Which is weaker from what I can tell and will just bottleneck that beast of a card)

We're at $1555. Remember, just because a CPU has more cores doesn't mean it's better. Especially if it's AMD you're talking about. And remember this as well. GHz means ALMOST JACK s**t when comparing different generations, ESPECIALLY different companies. And a higher GHz doesn't always mean better CPU. How come an i7 clocks at under 3Ghz yet would outperform my 3.3GHz i5?

Double check my math. Prove me wrong. Tell me if cheaper parts are better. Go ahead. Hell, I'll run the numbers by again.

$325 for CPU
$260 for PSU
$100 for RAM
$300 for the GPU
$80 for the case

Total is $1535, which is $20 under my last calculation, so I might be mistaken. Go ahead, double check.

woops forgot about the mobo. Nothing wrong with a refurb card, just don't OC it. And we all have opinions, just sharing mine. And thanks, im not new to the pc world, no need to be a d**k. An i7 at a lower clock would be faster than an i5 at a higher clock because i7s have hyperthreading while i5 only have turbo boost. An FX 8150 @4.8GHz shits all over a stock i7, but again, the i7 is at stock

Mate, even if we add ignore the mobo, the refurb card and the inferior CPU, you're still above $900. I'm a d**k for pointing out you're wrong? So be it.

You're a ******** retard. Microcenter prices dumbass. Everything there is same price or 20$ cheaper.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
You're a ******** retard. Microcenter prices dumbass. Everything there is same price or 20$ cheaper.

Right back at you for assuming that everyone has a Microcenter near them, whatever the ******** s**t a Microcenter is. I'd Google but the pussies are playing up and I would like to shower sometime before noon.
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
Aven Donn
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
Zb
Aven Donn
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X

FX 8120- 169.99
GTX 570- 229.99
2x SSD 60GB- 199.99
1000W PSU- 120.00

The RAM checks out.

$325 for CPU
$260 for PSU
$100 for RAM
$300 for the GPU
$80 for the case

Let's see...

Initially you said under $900 on Newegg. So I looked up on Newegg. Microcenter isn't an international store that ships everywhere.

And I looked up some of the parts... Most prices are actually the same as Newegg. Some might be a bit cheaper... But you're still MILES from $900.

I might also add, yes, I'm a ******** retard. I have Asperger's syndrome and PDD-NOS. What now?
Aven Donn
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
Aven Donn
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
Zb
Aven Donn
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X

FX 8120- 169.99
GTX 570- 229.99
2x SSD 60GB- 199.99
1000W PSU- 120.00

The RAM checks out.

$325 for CPU
$260 for PSU
$100 for RAM
$300 for the GPU
$80 for the case

Let's see...

Initially you said under $900 on Newegg. So I looked up on Newegg. Microcenter isn't an international store that ships everywhere.

And I looked up some of the parts... Most prices are actually the same as Newegg. Some might be a bit cheaper... But you're still MILES from $900.

I might also add, yes, I'm a ******** retard. I have Asperger's syndrome and PDD-NOS. What now?

Good, makes sense. And no, quit making s**t up. I wrote "all prices from microcenter" l2read PDD-NOS f**.
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
Aven Donn
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
Aven Donn
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
Zb

Let's see...

Good, makes sense. And no, quit making s**t up. I wrote "all prices from microcenter" l2read PDD-NOS f**.

X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
You guysss
GTX 570
Gigabyte 990FX
WD 1.5TB Black Caviar
Pick your own case

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/c-t-tech-talk/i3-i5-or-i7/t.78300749_8/#8
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
Aven Donn
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
You guysss
GTX 570
Gigabyte 990FX
WD 1.5TB Black Caviar
Pick your own case

FX 8120- 169.99
GTX 570- 229.99
2x SSD 60GB- 199.99
1000W PSU- 120.00
Revisions. Dumbass
X_Abide_by_Darkness_X
Incorrect, many games of 2012 require 4 cores for "acceptable" play.
[citation needed]
LiquidGlitch
Revisions. Dumbass

You wrote Newegg. I got prices from Newegg. Then you switch to a local shop that not everyone can buy from, that has suspiciously low prices, and even with their lower prices, you're STILL wrong about the $900?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff