Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Sitwon
You're joking, right? A quick search nearly any job site will show that nationally there are more listings for Java than for any other language.

Really? And what Irish job engines are you searching?
Seriously, I want names.

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
CuAnnan
Sitwon
You're joking, right? A quick search nearly any job site will show that nationally there are more listings for Java than for any other language.

Really? And what Irish job engines are you searching?
Seriously, I want names.

I Googled for some Irish job sites.

ComputerJobs.ie:
Java - 162
PHP - 42

IrishJobs.ie:
Java - 662
PHP - 144

Monster.ie:
Java - 381
PHP - 89

ie.Indeed.com:
Java - 1,629
PHP - 307

Seems like a pretty clear trend to me.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
I'm sorry. I thought it was self evident that I was talking about web development.
My bad. I blame the codeine.

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
CuAnnan
I'm sorry. I thought it was self evident that I was talking about web development.
My bad. I blame the codeine.
What do you mean by "web development"? Because a lot of those Java jobs are going to involve write code for web apps. Perhaps not all of them, but let's further filter.

ie.Indeed.com: java web - 850
IrishJobs.ie: java web - 365
Monster.ie: java web - 204
ComputerJobs.ie: java web - 83

These sites have more java web development listings than php listings.

Here's another one. GlassDoor shows:
PHP - 184
Java web - 513

Edit: Roughly half of the Java listings are for web development. And that's still twice as many listings as for PHP. How you could claim that nobody is hiring for Java web development outside academia is baffling to me.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Sitwon
These sites have more java web development listings than php listings.

Yeah, but the ones that have java listed have it listed as one of many.
And most of them aren't actually jobs with companies, they're recruitment agencies where they want your CV so that they can match you to whatever they have on the go. Which means that the search engine doesn't actually return real results.
It's part of the problem with online job searching. I have more than once been offered an interview for a job after recieving a PFO from the company.

Sitwon
Edit: Roughly half of the Java listings are for web development. And that's still twice as many listings as for PHP. How you could claim that nobody is hiring for Java web development outside academia is baffling to me.

Because I haven't looked in about two years, owing to working in academia in Java Struts.
Can I go back to blaming the meds now?
CuAnnan
Not unless the walls are bleeding.
psychic stalker
CuAnnan
...And if his EYEBALLS are bleeding? What then?

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
psychic stalker
CuAnnan

It's my first time ever on opiates.
Not quite, but very ******** close.
PandoraXero
psychic stalker
CuAnnan
...And if his EYEBALLS are bleeding? What then?
Then he should really not be at the computer.

Wealthy Capitalist

learn how to use 3D programs like Autodesk Maya or Autodesk 3DSMAX or Blender

Maybe learn how to sculpt in Z-Brush if you want to create more realistic characters.

Get Unity 3D EDIT [also has a super easy to use 2D feature] and learn how to use that (also learn how to code in C# or Javascript)

and learn how to use Photoshop.

and there you go.
ifcruel72

Maybe learn how to sculpt in Z-Brush if you want to create more realistic characters.

Get Unity 3D and learn how to use that (also learn how to code in C# or Javascript)

and there you go.

OP said she wanted to make a game inspired by NES games. I don't think she needs all the 3d stuff, especially when writing any code using 3d is an order of magnitude more difficult than using simple 2d.

Wealthy Capitalist

kiraes
ifcruel72

Get Unity 3D and learn how to use that (also learn how to code in C# or Javascript)

and there you go.

OP said she wanted to make a game inspired by NES games. I don't think she needs all the 3d stuff, especially when writing any code using 3d is an order of magnitude more difficult than using simple 2d.

then she would just need unity and photoshop.

unity now has a 2D feature, which makes it super easy to develop a 2D game.

also, you can create 2D animation sprites with 3D software like maya (southpark is made in maya for example)
ifcruel72
kiraes
ifcruel72

and there you go.

also, you can create 2D animation sprites with 3D software like maya (southpark is made in maya for example)

Wouldn't even need Unity. There are plenty of good, easy as hell to use, free (as in free speech) 2d graphics libraries out there that target a wide variety of languages. Psychic Stalker already suggested Love-2d, which is used with Lua. I'd also suggest Gosu (a simple stupid 2d library for C++ and Ruby), PyGame (since Python seems to be a rather preferred language for a lot of beginners), or just straight up using HTML5 with Canvas.

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
kiraes
ifcruel72
kiraes
ifcruel72

and there you go.

Wouldn't even need Unity. There are plenty of good, easy as hell to use, free (as in free speech) 2d graphics libraries out there that target a wide variety of languages. Psychic Stalker already suggested Love-2d, which is used with Lua. I'd also suggest Gosu (a simple stupid 2d library for C++ and Ruby), PyGame (since Python seems to be a rather preferred language for a lot of beginners), or just straight up using HTML5 with Canvas.
While there are plenty of 2D engines available, Unity brings a lot more to the table than just a game engine. It's a whole suite of tools which go above and beyond just simple physics and collision detection. Everything from creating assets to publishing for multiple platforms.

I'm not a game developer, and I'm a big proponent of FOSS software, but every game developer I know (even the ones who are FOSS developers by day) swears by Unity.

Right now, you're basically implying that a moped is just as good as a motorcycle. I can tell you from experience, while it's possible (even fun) to do performance mods on a moped to make it slightly closer to a real motorcycle, it's never going to seriously compete with a real motorcycle.

It might be that a moped is all you really need and want, but most people will prefer a true motorcycle.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff