Welcome to Gaia! ::

Stealth Moose
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=036

Discuss.
proven to be weak security wise ... just need a package of gummy bears
Im gonna hold out for the USB retinal scanner.

Thinkgeek should have those in by October, I hear.
Stealth Moose

Discuss.

Well, that is nice. I don't need it for right now, but who knows.

But I still think it is easily crackable.
I thought they already had keyboards with fingerprint devices on them? I could be mistaken.

They also have voice recognition as passwords, don't they?
grundal
Stealth Moose

Discuss.

Who is going to be breaking into my house to steal my fingerprints? I'm not using this for government secrets, I just don't want to have to remember so many passwords or comprise security by keeping passwords on my PC or using the same password for everything. I hear a while ago they got around that whole password thing with keyloggers and bruteforce.
biometrics isn't proveing as safe as people think ...

computers arn't smart enough to tell a fake from reality

a computer will think that a gummy bear in the same of a finger with a finger print is the same thing as the actual finger

a single picture of an eye as fooled retinal scanners ... there is speculation that a tape recording can fool voice prints {tho the funny thing is most tests ... they can't get it to work normaly with out a tape recorder anyway}
Stealth Moose
grundal
Stealth Moose

Discuss.

Who is going to be breaking into my house to steal my fingerprints? I'm not using this for government secrets, I just don't want to have to remember so many passwords or comprise security by keeping passwords on my PC or using the same password for everything. I hear a while ago they got around that whole password thing with keyloggers and bruteforce.

So if you have so many, and you want to get this, why not just use one very difficult to crack password?

Its nearly the same thing.
Stealth Moose
grundal
Stealth Moose

Discuss.

they don't need to steal your finger prints ... thease kinds of devices are for local security anyway ... it would just secure a password for other device ... bruteforce can STILL crack it
grundal

a computer will think that a gummy bear in the same of a finger with a finger print is the same thing as the actual finger

a single picture of an eye as fooled retinal scanners ... there is speculation that a tape recording can fool voice prints {tho the funny thing is most tests ... they can't get it to work normaly with out a tape recorder anyway}

That still doesn't negate the fact that for most people this is much safer than a standard password.
Stealth Moose
grundal

That still doesn't negate the fact that for most people this is much safer than a standard password.
actualy ... if a password is properly generated it is much more difficult to crack

don't use real words {knocks out dictanary attacks}
use symbols numbers capalized letters and lowercase letters {makes bruteforce take to long}
don't use passwords less then 8 chars {increases bruteforce even more}
Kiretsu

So if you have so many, and you want to get this, why not just use one very difficult to crack password?

Its nearly the same thing.

Another thought.

If the security on this can be so easily bypassed, as others are saying, then all of those other passwords that are in place can be compromised with a peice of candy.
grundal
Stealth Moose
grundal

actualy ... if a password is properly generated it is much more difficult to crack

use symbols numbers capalized letters and lowercase letters {makes bruteforce take to long}

And if they get keylogged it doesn't matter how long or complicated their password is. Unless you have a firewall where you may be able to stop the keylogger from sending out what it logs. Do you honestly think it is harder to crack a lets say 13 letter/number password than it is to steal somebodys fingerprint and carve it into a surface the fingerprint reader will be able to recognize?
Heres an article.

Quote:
Smith also explained how to defeat another kind of thumb scanner, a device that uses capacitive resistance technology to read a fingerprint. It can be thwarted simply by pressing a plastic bag filled with water against the thumb reader after someone else has used it, the German researchers discovered. Simply blowing on the reader generates enough of a pattern from latent oil left on the capacitive surface to trick the sensor into making a false-positive match.
Stealth Moose
grundal
Stealth Moose
grundal

And if they get keylogged it doesn't matter how long or complicated their password is. Unless you have a firewall where you may be able to stop the keylogger from sending out what it logs. Do you honestly think it is harder to crack a lets say 13 letter/number password than it is to steal somebodys fingerprint and carve it into a surface the fingerprint reader will be able to recognize?
you don't seem to understand one thing ... a keylogger would need to be installed on your computer ... to install it security would already need to be compromized in some way ...

and honestly a fingerprint scanner can be defetead by useing extreamly cheap stuff

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/05/16/gummi_bears_defeat_fingerprint_sensors/

if they have enough access to your ocmputer to install a keylogger ... they have enough to get past a fingerprint reader ... also one other thing ... you can change a password ... can you change your finger print if it gets compromized?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff