Welcome to Gaia! ::

I bought and installed 256MB worth of ram, and installed it on my HP pavillion a335w. The person at the desk looked it up, it is supposed to be compatible with the computer, and i installed it correctly, but for some reason, when i look on the properties for "my computer", it only says i have 248MB. Is there anything wrong with my computer, and how do i fix this problem? I am using windows XP home edition with service pack 2.
GAH, i'm sorry, i accidentally put this in the wrong forum, i'll have it moved ASAP.
maybe your stick of RAM is broken. Have you tried taking it back for a new one?

Conservative Hunter

maybe Graphics are taking from it?
The graphics wouldn't "take" the RAM that way. It would still show up. It could be that the stick is broken or improperly installed. It could be that the particular ram slot on your board is broken.

Try taking out your current stick of ram and replacing it with the new one to test if it works ^.^
ParoX
The graphics wouldn't "take" the RAM that way. It would still show up. It could be that the stick is broken or improperly installed. It could be that the particular ram slot on your board is broken.

Try taking out your current stick of ram and replacing it with the new one to test if it works ^.^
Typically, when I see this, it does "take" the RAM.
Sounds like broken ram.. see if it detects it during bios check. If it doesn't and you're sure you installed it right.. then the person at the desk is a real idiot because he got you the wrong ram or the ram is dead.

Moblin Fodder's Comrade

Business Tycoon

Depends where you went. First off I have learned from past experience messing with HP hardware is best done by HP people.

Might want to do the check yourself, if you had the knowledge, or someon you know with the knowledge. Check pins, refresh, etc on it. Also check to see if your Motherboard will handle that much.

Another factor is windows. Although rare, a frined of mine has had RAM issues, as well as processor issues, because Windows would not detect it right.
What kind of graphics card do you have in your HP?? you can tell us by typing "dxdiag" in the run box.

If it refers to intel as your graphics controller then its prolly intergrated and uses your system RAM as its own... and it dose work like that, A friend of mines laptop is forever telling him he only has 400Mb odd of RAM when I can take it apart and count the sticks myself.

Otherwise Its likely to be an addressing issue in your BIOS how old is this computer may I ask?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff