Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Sex Symbol

User Image

Okay, so here's the run down. I'm planning on buying an Alienware Aurora Desktop by the end of this summer. May or may not buy the optional ALX chassis, but I'm leaning toward yes for the toolless/wireless drive bays & additional lighting in the chassis. Plus, I'm a sucker for aesthetics. And yes, I do realize that I'm paying a lot for this desktop particularly because of the Alienware brand, but it's always been somewhat of a dream of mine to own one of these beautiful powerhouses, and now I can finally afford to do so, so let me have it. Yes. I realize there are cheaper options out there with similar performance, but that's not what this thread is about.

Anywaysss. My dilemma is thiisss.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

These are the options that I'm presented when picking options for my Aurora.

Ideally, I'd like to have a 512gb SSD drive as the primary, and then a 1TB HDD secondary drive. I'd really like the SSD drive for my OS, but Dell is charging $600 for a 512gb SSD drive, which I know for a fact I could get for like $200 less if I buy from elsewhere. Buttt... if I don't buy it right off, then the whole shebang will get shoved on an HDD, and I'd really prefer the HDD for backup/storage. The exact specification I want would be $700, which seems steep, though I might be wrong. Is this a normal price range for those two drives?

I was considering the hybrid SS cache/HDD storage option, but from what I hear, the whole cache system is counterproductive and I'm confused by the whole hybrid thing in general. Is the actual OS installed on the SS cache part or on the HDD?

If it's installed on the SS cache part, what's the difference between having an SS cache hybrid/HDD combo & just having an SSD drive primary and an HDD secondary?

I'm toorrnn! What should I do?

I don't know a whole lot about hardware, so I'd really appreciate any input relevant to this situation. Also, feel free to tell me if I'm overlooking anything.

Shameless Enabler

Buy and install the SSD separately and install Windows to it after you get the machine. It's not like you HAVE to buy every single component from Dell.
nouveau sereph
Buy and install the SSD separately and install Windows to it after you get the machine. It's not like you HAVE to buy every single component from Dell.

What is wrong with the Hybrid drive?

Magnetic Sex Symbol

nouveau sereph
User Image

My qualm with that isn't getting it from Dell. I don't care about that.
                It's that I need for all the preset software & stuff that the Alienware comes with from the factory to be on my main drive, and I'm not confident that I can do that seamlessly manually, without missing vital things.

Shameless Enabler

They'll provide software to create a DVD that'll reinstall that all for you, if they don't provide one physically. It should include all the Alienware bullshit, all the drivers, etc, and if not their website should. Failing that, you could probably clone the drive it comes with and load it right back onto your new SSD, but I couldn't help you with any specifics on how to go about that.

@Discontented: It's $500? Taking the stocking HDD and buying a separate SSD of equivalent price could save her hundreds.
nouveau sereph
They'll provide software to create a DVD that'll reinstall that all for you, if they don't provide one physically. It should include all the Alienware bullshit, all the drivers, etc, and if not their website should. Failing that, you could probably clone the drive it comes with and load it right back onto your new SSD, but I couldn't help you with any specifics on how to go about that.

@Disconsented: It's $500? Taking the stocking HDD and buying a separate SSD of equivalent price could save her hundreds.

Sorry I meant the slightly smaller SSD but if the OP doesn't want that then 2 separate drives like you suggested will work fine.

Magnetic Sex Symbol

nouveau seraph
User Image

Well, I've gone through the whole customizing process several times and a Backup/Restore DVD is never mentioned. I've bought a couple of PCs from Dell before, and they usually mention when they include a recovery type DVD, so idk if it'll come standard with the Alienware, though for the amount of money being shelled out, it damn well better be. If not though, I would have no clue how to go about cloning the drive. Seems out of my element.

The hybrid option is actually only an extra $150, and that's a 500GB SS hybrid cache & the 1TB storage drive. I'm tempted to go for it, but I don't know enough about it... Is the OS loaded onto the SS cache drive or the 1TB hdd? Would the system run fast on par with an ssd or would it run about the same speed as it would with a normal hdd?

So many questionnsss.... I didn't even know hybrids existed before a couple weeks ago. @ _@
alienware....

if you're going to be picky about parts, and want decent performance per dollar, you may want to look in to building your own.
Dasvidaniya
I'm tempted to go for it, but I don't know enough about it... Is the OS loaded onto the SS cache drive or the 1TB hdd? Would the system run fast on par with an ssd or would it run about the same speed as it would with a normal hdd?
It's a cache, it's job is to cache things that are requested often. It should speed up reading files you need often, but for files you access once or twice in a blue moon things should be as they are with a standard HDD.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff